Laptop CPU question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Jan 24, 2008.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Hi all....don't know much about laptop cpu's (amongst many other things).

    Have been asked to spend a friend's student loan on a new laptop.
    Somewhere in the $1200-ish range. Used for normal student-ing stuff but
    wanted to get at least six years use out of it.

    I looked at the cpu models and noted the Core Duo and/or Core 2 Duo seem
    possible contenders.

    According to wikipedia the Core 2 Duo is "64-bit dual-core" as opposed to
    the Core Duo "32-bit mobile dual-core".

    Does this mean the Core 2 Duo needs 64 bit apps to run at it's full
    potential.(I'm assuming it'll be able to run 32-bit apps)

    Can I use the 64-bit "desktop" version of Ubuntu with the Core 2 Duo on a
    laptop. (I'm assuming it's okay cos I run the 32-bit "desktop" version on
    my Pentium M laptop)

    Are there any distros written specifically for laptop cpu's. Or memory
    configurations specifically for cpu's.

    What's the relationship between graphics memory and cpu?

    Any other pointers to look out for.

    I'm not too fussed about screen size, RAM etc cos that'll sort itself out
    once the cpu is sorted.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Jan 24, 2008

  2. Lodi

    impossible Guest

    "Lodi" <> wrote in message news:fn8oa2$pal$...
    > Hi all....don't know much about laptop cpu's (amongst many other things).
    >
    > Have been asked to spend a friend's student loan on a new laptop.
    > Somewhere in the $1200-ish range. Used for normal student-ing stuff but
    > wanted to get at least six years use out of it.
    >
    > I looked at the cpu models and noted the Core Duo and/or Core 2 Duo seem
    > possible contenders.
    >
    > According to wikipedia the Core 2 Duo is "64-bit dual-core" as opposed to
    > the Core Duo "32-bit mobile dual-core".
    >
    > Does this mean the Core 2 Duo needs 64 bit apps to run at it's full
    > potential.(I'm assuming it'll be able to run 32-bit apps)
    >
    > Can I use the 64-bit "desktop" version of Ubuntu with the Core 2 Duo on a
    > laptop. (I'm assuming it's okay cos I run the 32-bit "desktop" version on
    > my Pentium M laptop)
    >
    > Are there any distros written specifically for laptop cpu's. Or memory
    > configurations specifically for cpu's.
    >
    > What's the relationship between graphics memory and cpu?
    >
    > Any other pointers to look out for.
    >
    > I'm not too fussed about screen size, RAM etc cos that'll sort itself out
    > once the cpu is sorted.

    Some notebook cpu benchmarks:

    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_mobile_2007.html
    impossible, Jan 24, 2008

  3. Lodi

    Richard Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    > Hi all....don't know much about laptop cpu's (amongst many other things).
    >
    > Have been asked to spend a friend's student loan on a new laptop.
    > Somewhere in the $1200-ish range. Used for normal student-ing stuff but
    > wanted to get at least six years use out of it.

    Not going to happen - 3 is pushing it for laptops before things like the
    touchpad and hinges are starting to go

    > I looked at the cpu models and noted the Core Duo and/or Core 2 Duo seem
    > possible contenders.
    >
    > According to wikipedia the Core 2 Duo is "64-bit dual-core" as opposed to
    > the Core Duo "32-bit mobile dual-core".

    Get the core2duo - its a kick-ass cpu and awesome value on the slower
    GHz ones.

    > Does this mean the Core 2 Duo needs 64 bit apps to run at it's full
    > potential.(I'm assuming it'll be able to run 32-bit apps)

    No, its 32 bit as well, 64 bit will be a bit better but theres crap all
    apps for it and the OS needs to be 64 bit which can be tricky to get
    with an OEM installation.

    > Can I use the 64-bit "desktop" version of Ubuntu with the Core 2 Duo on a
    > laptop. (I'm assuming it's okay cos I run the 32-bit "desktop" version on
    > my Pentium M laptop)
    >
    > Are there any distros written specifically for laptop cpu's. Or memory
    > configurations specifically for cpu's.
    >
    > What's the relationship between graphics memory and cpu?

    Most chipsets take some or all the graphics memory from system memory.

    > Any other pointers to look out for.
    >
    > I'm not too fussed about screen size, RAM etc cos that'll sort itself out
    > once the cpu is sorted.

    The screen is one of the major costcut areas on laptops. You havent told
    us what the person getting the student loan is studying so if its
    anything graphics related then the cheapest screens are no good - their
    dithering of colours is bad, better panels despite still being only 18
    bit look a lot better with less visable dither - it might be the gfx
    chipset that helps too since the 2 dells I compared were an intel gfx
    with the cheap screen and a proper graphics with the fancy screen - no
    comparison, you could even see the dither on the cheap one on the
    default wallpaper.
    Richard, Jan 24, 2008
  4. Lodi

    thingy Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    > Hi all....don't know much about laptop cpu's (amongst many other things).
    >
    > Have been asked to spend a friend's student loan on a new laptop.
    > Somewhere in the $1200-ish range. Used for normal student-ing stuff but
    > wanted to get at least six years use out of it.
    >
    > I looked at the cpu models and noted the Core Duo and/or Core 2 Duo seem
    > possible contenders.
    >
    > According to wikipedia the Core 2 Duo is "64-bit dual-core" as opposed to
    > the Core Duo "32-bit mobile dual-core".
    >
    > Does this mean the Core 2 Duo needs 64 bit apps to run at it's full
    > potential.(I'm assuming it'll be able to run 32-bit apps)
    >
    > Can I use the 64-bit "desktop" version of Ubuntu with the Core 2 Duo on a
    > laptop. (I'm assuming it's okay cos I run the 32-bit "desktop" version on
    > my Pentium M laptop)
    >
    > Are there any distros written specifically for laptop cpu's. Or memory
    > configurations specifically for cpu's.
    >
    > What's the relationship between graphics memory and cpu?
    >
    > Any other pointers to look out for.
    >
    > I'm not too fussed about screen size, RAM etc cos that'll sort itself out
    > once the cpu is sorted.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    $1200 is going to get you a basic laptop....the Asus ones have a 2 year
    warrantee by default...........

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jan 24, 2008
  5. In article <fn8oa2$pal$>, Lodi did write:

    > Does this mean the Core 2 Duo needs 64 bit apps to run at it's full
    > potential.(I'm assuming it'll be able to run 32-bit apps)
    >
    > Can I use the 64-bit "desktop" version of Ubuntu with the Core 2 Duo on a
    > laptop. (I'm assuming it's okay cos I run the 32-bit "desktop" version on
    > my Pentium M laptop)

    You can run a 32-bit x86 OS on an x86-64 CPU just fine, if you wish. Yes, a
    64-bit OS will take more advantage of the CPU's capabilities--e.g. ability
    to address more RAM, theoretically faster floating-point performance--but
    you might not notice any difference for now.

    32-bit apps should run on a 64-bit OS. A 64-bit kernel will need 64-bit
    drivers. Note that 64-bit apps that take plugins will need 64-bit
    plugins--you're likely to hit this with 64-bit Firefox, for example, not
    being able to run closed-source 32-bit plugins (i.e. Adobe Flash). However,
    an add-on called nspluginwrapper allows this to work.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 24, 2008
  6. Lodi

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
    > Lodi wrote:
    >> Hi all....don't know much about laptop cpu's (amongst many other
    >> things). Have been asked to spend a friend's student loan on a new
    >> laptop.
    >> Somewhere in the $1200-ish range. Used for normal student-ing stuff
    >> but wanted to get at least six years use out of it.

    > Not going to happen - 3 is pushing it for laptops before things like
    > the touchpad and hinges are starting to go

    And yet I've just retired a Compaq Pentium 2 laptop that has been in daily
    use (Switched on 24/7) in an small engineering workshop office (The office
    is small, not the workshop...) for 10 years. The only reason it's no longer
    in use is the guy wanted USB2 to run his humongous plotter and also thought
    a bit more grunt so he could run a newer CAD programme would be nice. He'd
    spilt liquid into the lappy a couple times too. Both times he shook it out
    and put it in the hot-water cupboard overnight and it fired right up again
    the next day.

    The touchpad worked just fine, albeit covered in grease. Same for the
    keyboard. You could hardly read the keys but they all worked.

    Sadly, he left it switched off for a month before giving it to me. It
    wouldn't turn back on. On stripping it I concluded from the verdigris and
    corrosion on the mobo that once power/heat was removed the remains of the
    beer that'd been tipped in through the PCMCIA slot a few years back
    re-hydrated and got to work attacking PCB traces/IC legs. I'm sure that, if
    I'd been given it the day it was turned off, liberal use of CO cleaner would
    have fixed it.

    I'd say choice of laptop and the way it's treated define it's lifetime.
    Touchpad and hinges crapping out are probably due to rough use.
    --
    Shaun.

    P.S. Anyone got any use for the 64MB PC66 SODIMM that was in it? It looks
    to be in good condition. Email me on misfitnz at gmail if you can use it. I
    don't want anything for it, just would prefer it get used as opposed to
    getting dumped.
    ~misfit~, Jan 25, 2008
  7. Lodi

    Dogboy Guest

    > What's the relationship between graphics memory and cpu?
    >
    > Any other pointers to look out for.
    >
    > I'm not too fussed about screen size, RAM etc cos that'll sort itself out
    > once the cpu is sorted.

    In this day and age almost any CPU will be more than enough for needs of
    most people for most things. That said the Core 2 Duo is a nice CPU
    which I would recommend. Theres very few things that use the full power
    of a CPU and they are generally "Games" or "Heavy Editing" (think video
    editing, rendering etc).

    If you want to even think about games (even if you don't really) try to
    get graphics by either ATI or Nvidia. Forget SIS or Intel or others.
    Dedicated graphics memory is much nicer than shared but you probably
    wont find that in your price range.

    Laptops are never optimal games machines but the very fact you have a
    semi-decent video card will allow you to put the CPU to better use.

    --
    Dogboy
    Dogboy, Jan 25, 2008
  8. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 22:21:59 +1300, Dogboy wrote:

    >> What's the relationship between graphics memory and cpu?
    >>
    >> Any other pointers to look out for.
    >>
    >> I'm not too fussed about screen size, RAM etc cos that'll sort itself
    >> out once the cpu is sorted.
    >>

    > In this day and age almost any CPU will be more than enough for needs of
    > most people for most things. That said the Core 2 Duo is a nice CPU
    > which I would recommend. Theres very few things that use the full power
    > of a CPU and they are generally "Games" or "Heavy Editing" (think video
    > editing, rendering etc).
    >
    > If you want to even think about games (even if you don't really) try to
    > get graphics by either ATI or Nvidia. Forget SIS or Intel or others.
    > Dedicated graphics memory is much nicer than shared but you probably
    > wont find that in your price range.
    >
    > Laptops are never optimal games machines but the very fact you have a
    > semi-decent video card will allow you to put the CPU to better use.

    To all who took the time to reply...many thanks.

    I've been given a budget of $1200 so it looks like no Core 2 Duo.

    "Student stuff" is the main use for laptop. Meaning writing essays,
    watching slideshows and interactive dvds (all with american accents).

    Apparently Skype Video would be nice (now that video is supported in
    Skype4Linux). So I guess a quality webcam (fitted or as a peripheral?).

    Not interested in game-ing or graphic artist-ing.

    I may possibly support AMD as I've never had any problems with AMD
    before.

    I've got my little reference chart from tomshardware (thanks impossible)
    so it looks like I'll be doing a few hours of browsing pricespy to see
    what's out there.

    Am curious to see if any dealers supply Ubuntu pre-installed on a $1200
    laptop.

    Again, thanks all for replying. Any further advice most welcome.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Jan 25, 2008
  9. Lodi

    Squiggle Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    > "Student stuff" is the main use for laptop. Meaning writing essays,
    > watching slideshows and interactive dvds (all with american accents).
    >
    > Apparently Skype Video would be nice (now that video is supported in
    > Skype4Linux). So I guess a quality webcam (fitted or as a peripheral?).
    >
    > Not interested in game-ing or graphic artist-ing.

    [snip]
    > Am curious to see if any dealers supply Ubuntu pre-installed on a $1200
    > laptop.
    >
    > Again, thanks all for replying. Any further advice most welcome.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    From what you have described above, the $699 acer laptop from DSE (with
    an external webcam for skype) that comes preinstalled with Ubuntu should
    suffice.

    If 99% of the tasks required are text editting and watching DVDs then
    the lowest spec CPU currently available is more than adequate.

    dse.co.nz and search for xc5822. even the asus Eee would suffice except
    for the fact it does not come with an optical drive. No need to spend
    $1200 if that is all that is required.
    Squiggle, Jan 25, 2008
  10. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:23:04 +1300, Squiggle wrote:

    > Lodi wrote:
    >> "Student stuff" is the main use for laptop. Meaning writing essays,
    >> watching slideshows and interactive dvds (all with american accents).
    >>
    >> Apparently Skype Video would be nice (now that video is supported in
    >> Skype4Linux). So I guess a quality webcam (fitted or as a peripheral?).
    >>
    >> Not interested in game-ing or graphic artist-ing.
    >>

    > [snip]
    >> Am curious to see if any dealers supply Ubuntu pre-installed on a $1200
    >> laptop.
    >>
    >> Again, thanks all for replying. Any further advice most welcome.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Lodi

    > From what you have described above, the $699 acer laptop from DSE (with
    > an external webcam for skype) that comes preinstalled with Ubuntu should
    > suffice.
    >
    > If 99% of the tasks required are text editting and watching DVDs then
    > the lowest spec CPU currently available is more than adequate.
    >
    > dse.co.nz and search for xc5822. even the asus Eee would suffice except
    > for the fact it does not come with an optical drive. No need to spend
    > $1200 if that is all that is required.

    Hi Squiggle....Yes I know there's no *need* to spend $1200 but you're
    forgetting one thing. I'm spending somebody else's money :)

    I looked up the dse/ubuntu laptop when you mentioned it to Lawrence a few
    days ago. The Celeron CPU, 512MB RAM and the 14" screen put me off,
    especially once I'd checked cpu benchmarks. A great budget laptop for
    $699 (plus $99 cashback!) but I was tasked to buy a laptop with quote
    "room to grow" unquote. (I don't know what that means either but I'm not
    a student. I said $1800 buys lots of room. She said too much room. Here's
    $1200)

    What's even worse is that lots of today's laptops have pretty much
    unremovable region-lock on their dvd drives. Five region changes and then
    your stuck for good. Since Matsushita perfected it a while back it seems
    to be all the rage. Firmware unlocking doesn't seem to work anymore. And
    the software unlockers are pretty much beaten too. Definitely a trap for
    someone who will be watching lots of dvds. So somehow I've got to find
    the DVD make and model as well as all the other specs.

    This morning is a website surfing kind of morning so I'll try and sort
    out a few candidates.

    Thanks for your post.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Jan 25, 2008
  11. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:03:20 +0100, Lodi wrote:

    > Five region changes and
    > then your stuck for good.

    You're stuck, not your stuck......fool

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Jan 25, 2008
  12. Lodi

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Lodi" typed:
    >> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:03:20 +0100, Lodi wrote:

    >> Five region changes and
    >> then your stuck for good.

    > You're stuck, not your stuck......fool

    LOL, I wasn't going to say anything, honest. <g>

    Good luck with the laptop search.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jan 25, 2008
  13. Hi there,

    Lodi wrote:

    > What's even worse is that lots of today's laptops have pretty much
    > unremovable region-lock on their dvd drives. Five region changes and then
    > your stuck for good. Since Matsushita perfected it a while back it seems
    > to be all the rage. Firmware unlocking doesn't seem to work anymore. And
    > the software unlockers are pretty much beaten too. Definitely a trap for
    > someone who will be watching lots of dvds. So somehow I've got to find
    > the DVD make and model as well as all the other specs.

    Are you talking Windows based software unlockers, or all of them? Xine
    media player in Linux managed to fool the unit in my new Dell laptop,
    but software unlocking in Vista didn't work.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...
    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 29, 2008
  14. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:24:36 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Lodi wrote:
    >>
    >> What's even worse is that lots of today's laptops have pretty much
    >> unremovable region-lock on their dvd drives. Five region changes and
    >> then your stuck for good. Since Matsushita perfected it a while back it
    >> seems to be all the rage. Firmware unlocking doesn't seem to work
    >> anymore. And the software unlockers are pretty much beaten too.
    >> Definitely a trap for someone who will be watching lots of dvds. So
    >> somehow I've got to find the DVD make and model as well as all the
    >> other specs.

    > Are you talking Windows based software unlockers, or all of them? Xine
    > media player in Linux managed to fool the unit in my new Dell laptop,
    > but software unlocking in Vista didn't work.

    Hi Chris....That's interesting. What make/model dvd unit do you have.
    What distro were you using. Also, out of curiosity and as I'm currently
    hunting for a new laptop, what make/model of Dell have you just bought
    and what's your opinion of it. What o/s came pre-installed.

    If you're interested, it was a Windows XP machine I was working on at the
    time. The dvd unit was a Matshita UJ-820 or 840 (I can't remember).
    Windows-based software unlockers failed and I tried plenty of them.

    I couldn't very well uninstall XP and install Kubuntu to try out any
    other alternatives, much as I would have liked to. Would have made for an
    unhappy customer.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Jan 29, 2008
  15. Lodi

    Richard Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:24:36 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Lodi wrote:
    >>> What's even worse is that lots of today's laptops have pretty much
    >>> unremovable region-lock on their dvd drives. Five region changes and
    >>> then your stuck for good. Since Matsushita perfected it a while back it
    >>> seems to be all the rage. Firmware unlocking doesn't seem to work
    >>> anymore. And the software unlockers are pretty much beaten too.
    >>> Definitely a trap for someone who will be watching lots of dvds. So
    >>> somehow I've got to find the DVD make and model as well as all the
    >>> other specs.

    >> Are you talking Windows based software unlockers, or all of them? Xine
    >> media player in Linux managed to fool the unit in my new Dell laptop,
    >> but software unlocking in Vista didn't work.

    > Hi Chris....That's interesting. What make/model dvd unit do you have.
    > What distro were you using. Also, out of curiosity and as I'm currently
    > hunting for a new laptop, what make/model of Dell have you just bought
    > and what's your opinion of it. What o/s came pre-installed.
    >
    > If you're interested, it was a Windows XP machine I was working on at the
    > time. The dvd unit was a Matshita UJ-820 or 840 (I can't remember).
    > Windows-based software unlockers failed and I tried plenty of them.
    >
    > I couldn't very well uninstall XP and install Kubuntu to try out any
    > other alternatives, much as I would have liked to. Would have made for an
    > unhappy customer.

    How do they get on in aussie where region lockout has being ruled
    anticompetitive?
    Richard, Jan 29, 2008
  16. Lodi

    sam Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Lodi wrote:
    >>
    >> What's even worse is that lots of today's laptops have pretty much
    >> unremovable region-lock on their dvd drives. Five region changes and
    >> then your stuck for good. Since Matsushita perfected it a while back
    >> it seems to be all the rage. Firmware unlocking doesn't seem to work
    >> anymore. And the software unlockers are pretty much beaten too.
    >> Definitely a trap for someone who will be watching lots of dvds. So
    >> somehow I've got to find the DVD make and model as well as all the
    >> other specs.

    > Are you talking Windows based software unlockers, or all of them? Xine
    > media player in Linux managed to fool the unit in my new Dell laptop,
    > but software unlocking in Vista didn't work.

    My laptop has that crap, it still plays any region DVD in VLC
    sam, Jan 29, 2008
  17. Hi there,

    Lodi wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:24:36 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Lodi wrote:
    >>> What's even worse is that lots of today's laptops have pretty much
    >>> unremovable region-lock on their dvd drives. Five region changes and
    >>> then your stuck for good. Since Matsushita perfected it a while back it
    >>> seems to be all the rage. Firmware unlocking doesn't seem to work
    >>> anymore. And the software unlockers are pretty much beaten too.
    >>> Definitely a trap for someone who will be watching lots of dvds. So
    >>> somehow I've got to find the DVD make and model as well as all the
    >>> other specs.

    >> Are you talking Windows based software unlockers, or all of them? Xine
    >> media player in Linux managed to fool the unit in my new Dell laptop,
    >> but software unlocking in Vista didn't work.

    > Hi Chris....That's interesting. What make/model dvd unit do you have.

    ata4.00: ATAPI: TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW TS-L632H, D200, max UDMA/33

    Thats from dmesg, its a Samsung dual-layer writer.

    > What distro were you using. Also, out of curiosity and as I'm currently

    openSUSE 10.3, well and truly pimped to be a multimedia powerhouse.

    > hunting for a new laptop, what make/model of Dell have you just bought
    > and what's your opinion of it. What o/s came pre-installed.

    Got the Dell Inspiron 1720. It came with Vista Home Premium, but I
    only boot Vista for games. I'm chuffed with it - its significantly
    faster than my Athlon64 desktop in all aspects except 3D graphics
    (laptop has NV8600M GT PCIe, desktop has NV7900GS AGP). I got the
    full HD 1920x1200 panel, 2GB RAM, a 160GB HD (added a 250GB HD for
    openSUSE /home folders). Only real letdown has been onboard audio,
    but I'm awaiting a nice USB2 audio/MIDI interface so I can keep
    doing my musical tinkerings...

    Oh, and it weights in at close to 5 kg, so its a lapcrusher, not a
    laptop... :)

    > If you're interested, it was a Windows XP machine I was working on at the
    > time. The dvd unit was a Matshita UJ-820 or 840 (I can't remember).
    > Windows-based software unlockers failed and I tried plenty of them.

    Maybe something to do with Matushita's? I've not had a Matsu device
    in a PC I've owned so I cannot comment.

    > I couldn't very well uninstall XP and install Kubuntu to try out any
    > other alternatives, much as I would have liked to. Would have made for an
    > unhappy customer.

    Fair enough. Linux is not for everyone (yet) <duck>... :)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Chris Wilkinson.
    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 1, 2008
  18. Hi there,

    sam wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Lodi wrote:
    >>>
    >>> What's even worse is that lots of today's laptops have pretty much
    >>> unremovable region-lock on their dvd drives. Five region changes and
    >>> then your stuck for good. Since Matsushita perfected it a while back
    >>> it seems to be all the rage. Firmware unlocking doesn't seem to work
    >>> anymore. And the software unlockers are pretty much beaten too.
    >>> Definitely a trap for someone who will be watching lots of dvds. So
    >>> somehow I've got to find the DVD make and model as well as all the
    >>> other specs.

    >> Are you talking Windows based software unlockers, or all of them? Xine
    >> media player in Linux managed to fool the unit in my new Dell laptop,
    >> but software unlocking in Vista didn't work.

    > My laptop has that crap, it still plays any region DVD in VLC

    VLC is a good player. I'm in Linux 90% of the time so I use xine, as
    I like its minimalist UI. I'd probably install VLC if I were gonna do
    more time in Vista...

    --
    Kind regards,
    Chris Wilkinson.
    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 1, 2008
  19. Hi there,

    Richard wrote:
    > Lodi wrote:
    >> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:24:36 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi there,

    >>> Are you talking Windows based software unlockers, or all of them? Xine
    >>> media player in Linux managed to fool the unit in my new Dell laptop,
    >>> but software unlocking in Vista didn't work.

    >> Hi Chris....That's interesting. What make/model dvd unit do you have.
    >> What distro were you using. Also, out of curiosity and as I'm
    >> currently hunting for a new laptop, what make/model of Dell have you
    >> just bought and what's your opinion of it. What o/s came pre-installed.
    >>
    >> If you're interested, it was a Windows XP machine I was working on at
    >> the time. The dvd unit was a Matshita UJ-820 or 840 (I can't
    >> remember). Windows-based software unlockers failed and I tried plenty
    >> of them.
    >> I couldn't very well uninstall XP and install Kubuntu to try out any
    >> other alternatives, much as I would have liked to. Would have made for
    >> an unhappy customer.

    > How do they get on in aussie where region lockout has being ruled
    > anticompetitive?

    Goodness knows...

    I've not purchased many DVD's in Oz, as I'm only here for another
    2 months (never was gonna 'naturalise'), but we've rented heaps.
    Have never seen a non-R4 anywhere...

    --
    Kind regards,
    Chris Wilkinson.
    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 1, 2008
  20. Lodi

    Geoff Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:03:20 +0100 (CET), Lodi wrote:

    > What's even worse is that lots of today's laptops have pretty much
    > unremovable region-lock on their dvd drives. Five region changes and then
    > your stuck for good. Since Matsushita perfected it a while back it seems
    > to be all the rage. Firmware unlocking doesn't seem to work anymore. And
    > the software unlockers are pretty much beaten too. Definitely a trap for
    > someone who will be watching lots of dvds. So somehow I've got to find
    > the DVD make and model as well as all the other specs.
    >
    > This morning is a website surfing kind of morning so I'll try and sort
    > out a few candidates.
    >
    > Thanks for your post.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    AnyDVD is money well spent with these region locked drives an dDRM disks,
    works a treat.
    I unlocked the NEC drive in my Dell a couple of years ago with no problems.
    Have a look around
    http://forum.rpc1.org/index.php?sid=df41e34d433b9c42dfeafec609012d68
    Geoff
    Geoff