Laptop CPU q pls.

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Spammy Sammy, Aug 9, 2004.

  1. Spammy Sammy

    Spammy Sammy Guest

    Spammy Sammy, Aug 9, 2004

  2. "Spammy Sammy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi.
    > Are laptop CPU's different to "normal" CPU's?
    > TIA

    Yes. Laptop processors are usually designated by "Mobile" or just "M."
    Generally speaking, they consume less power and run a lot cooler than their
    desktop counterpart.
    Patrick Michael, Aug 9, 2004

  3. Spammy Sammy

    Spammy Sammy Guest

    "Patrick Michael" <> wrote in message

    > "Spammy Sammy" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi.
    > > Are laptop CPU's different to "normal" CPU's?
    > > TIA

    > Yes. Laptop processors are usually designated by "Mobile" or just "M."
    > Generally speaking, they consume less power and run a lot cooler than

    their
    > desktop counterpart.

    Thanks.
    Spammy Sammy, Aug 9, 2004
  4. Spammy Sammy

    AG Guest

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, they are different, however some laptops use desktop CPUs (not
    > highly recommended, but some do). The differences are in power
    > consumption and energy management.
    >

    > Spammy Sammy wrote:
    >
    > > Hi.
    > > Are laptop CPU's different to "normal" CPU's?
    > > TIA

    Also it depends on the age. The older the machine the more likely it is
    using a desktop CPU. Most any laptop built in the last couple of years will
    have some sort of mobile processor but when you get back to the Pentium 1
    days there were quite a few machines that used standard CPUs.

    AG
    AG, Aug 9, 2004
  5. Spammy Sammy

    FredG Guest

    Barry Watzman <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Yes, they are different, however some laptops use desktop CPUs (not
    > highly recommended, but some do). The differences are in power
    > consumption and energy management.

    Thanks.

    The reason I asked was that I was offered a laptop which would have
    required a new hard drive, and I was wondering about upgrading the CPU
    as well.
    FredG, Aug 9, 2004

    > > Yes, they are different, however some laptops use desktop CPUs (not
    > > highly recommended, but some do). The differences are in power
    > > consumption and energy management.

    > Thanks.
    >
    > The reason I asked was that I was offered a laptop which would have
    > required a new hard drive, and I was wondering about upgrading the CPU
    > as well.

    What CPU does it have and what did you want to upgrade it to?
    Patrick Michael, Aug 9, 2004
  7. Spammy Sammy

    > "FredG" <> wrote in message
    > > Barry Watzman <> wrote in message

    > > > Yes, they are different, however some laptops use desktop CPUs (not
    > > > highly recommended, but some do). The differences are in power
    > > > consumption and energy management.

    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > The reason I asked was that I was offered a laptop which would have
    > > required a new hard drive, and I was wondering about upgrading the CPU
    > > as well.

    > What CPU does it have and what did you want to upgrade it to?

    T'was a 500Mhz, however I was told the mobo supported up to 1.3Ghz.
    Spammy Sammy, Aug 9, 2004