    freeze.

    Thanks for your information and expertise on this matter.
    fulio pen
    Fulio Open, Jan 9, 2009

  2. Fulio Open

    The hook Guest

    Fulio Open <> wrote in message
    news::

    > I will travel by air with a laptop computer, and for some reason
    > prefer to put it inside the check-in baggage. The airlines doesn't
    > care, but says it is not responsible for any problem.
    >
    > I know the check-in bag will experience freezing temperature in the
    > baggage cabin. The flight time will be more than 10hours. I like to
    > know whether or not there is risk for the computerto be damaged by the
    > freeze.
    >
    > Thanks for your information and expertise on this matter.
    > fulio pen

    Cargo holds 'seldom' go below freezing and will hover around cabin
    temperature but that will depend on the surrounding temperature on the
    ground and in the air - understanding that cabin crew do have some control
    given all airlines have to make provisions for 'perishable goods' generally,
    and that could even include the likes of 'bloods'.

    Ask 'em next time you fly (not check-in, but cabin crew).

    hook:
    Scott of the Antarctic apparently died not from the cold but from
    starvation - the solder on the tins decomposed because of the cold rendering
    the food inedible.

    --
    hook
    The hook, Jan 9, 2009

  3. Fulio Open

    Mike Easter Guest

    Fulio Open wrote:
    > I will travel by air with a laptop computer, and for some reason
    > prefer to put it inside the check-in baggage. The airlines doesn't
    > care, but says it is not responsible for any problem.
    >
    > I know the check-in bag will experience freezing temperature in the
    > baggage cabin. The flight time will be more than 10hours. I like to
    > know whether or not there is risk for the computerto be damaged by the
    > freeze.

    Baggage compartment areas are not subjected to the extremes of
    temperatures at flight altitude, just colder than the pax compartment.

    That's not your bigger problem.

    Your problem is that baggage is handled by human beings which are
    sometimes referred to disparagingly as 'baggage apes' because of the way
    some of them throw bags around indelicately.

    Another problem is that baggage is handled by human beings which are not
    only going to be opening your checked bag to inspect it, but also have a
    significantly less than perfect record about not taking things from
    bags -- or rather, some types of things somehow disappear from checked
    bags

    A laptop is considered 'fragile' in the environment of baggage handling,
    and it is also a very prime target for theft.

    Here's a website with advice on this very subject
    http://www.airsafe.com/issues/baggage.htm Keep the laptop with your
    carry-on baggage - Laptops are relatively fragile, as well as being an
    attractive target for theft. Keeping it with you on the plane is
    preferable to packing it in your checked luggage.

    .... then the article goes on to tell you about all of the problems
    encountered with carrying it on.

    The article talks about compensation, but the compensation is based on
    'lost' baggage. I don't know what the results would be of someone
    reporting that laptop had been stoled from a checked bag. I would think
    the airline might say, "Oh, really?"

    You have no proof that you put a laptop into your checked bag.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 9, 2009
  4. Fulio Open

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 15:20:55 -0800, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >Fulio Open wrote:
    >> I will travel by air with a laptop computer, and for some reason
    >> prefer to put it inside the check-in baggage. The airlines doesn't
    >> care, but says it is not responsible for any problem.
    >>
    >> I know the check-in bag will experience freezing temperature in the
    >> baggage cabin. The flight time will be more than 10hours. I like to
    >> know whether or not there is risk for the computerto be damaged by the
    >> freeze.

    >Baggage compartment areas are not subjected to the extremes of
    >temperatures at flight altitude, just colder than the pax compartment.
    >
    >That's not your bigger problem.
    >
    >Your problem is that baggage is handled by human beings which are
    >sometimes referred to disparagingly as 'baggage apes' because of the way
    >some of them throw bags around indelicately.
    >
    >Another problem is that baggage is handled by human beings which are not
    >only going to be opening your checked bag to inspect it, but also have a
    >significantly less than perfect record about not taking things from
    >bags -- or rather, some types of things somehow disappear from checked
    >bags
    >
    >A laptop is considered 'fragile' in the environment of baggage handling,
    >and it is also a very prime target for theft.
    >
    >Here's a website with advice on this very subject
    >http://www.airsafe.com/issues/baggage.htm Keep the laptop with your
    >carry-on baggage - Laptops are relatively fragile, as well as being an
    >attractive target for theft. Keeping it with you on the plane is
    >preferable to packing it in your checked luggage.
    >
    >... then the article goes on to tell you about all of the problems
    >encountered with carrying it on.
    >
    >The article talks about compensation, but the compensation is based on
    >'lost' baggage. I don't know what the results would be of someone
    >reporting that laptop had been stoled from a checked bag. I would think
    >the airline might say, "Oh, really?"
    >
    >You have no proof that you put a laptop into your checked bag.

    And some TSA people consider a laptop a valuable tool for terrorists.
    Since the TSA take over, I've been in 4 airports. Only 1 looked at
    mine and did a "bacterial agent swab test" on it.
    richard, Jan 10, 2009
  5. Fulio Open

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About This Time And Date In History, Fulio Open Stumbled Over
    To The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > I will travel by air with a laptop computer, and for some reason
    > prefer to put it inside the check-in baggage. The airlines doesn't
    > care, but says it is not responsible for any problem.
    >
    > I know the check-in bag will experience freezing temperature in the
    > baggage cabin. The flight time will be more than 10hours. I like to
    > know whether or not there is risk for the computerto be damaged by the
    > freeze.
    >
    > Thanks for your information and expertise on this matter.
    > fulio pen

    If the baggage compartment ride won't kill your dog, why should it
    damage your computer?

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Old Gringo, Jan 10, 2009
  6. Fulio Open

    Charlie Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > On Or About This Time And Date In History, Fulio Open Stumbled Over To The
    > Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    >> I will travel by air with a laptop computer, and for some reason
    >> prefer to put it inside the check-in baggage. The airlines doesn't
    >> care, but says it is not responsible for any problem.
    >>
    >> I know the check-in bag will experience freezing temperature in the
    >> baggage cabin. The flight time will be more than 10hours. I like to
    >> know whether or not there is risk for the computerto be damaged by the
    >> freeze.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your information and expertise on this matter.
    >> fulio pen

    > If the baggage compartment ride won't kill your dog, why should it damage
    > your computer?
    >
    > --
    > Old Gringo
    > Just West Of Nowhere
    > Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    > http://www.NuBoy-Industries.comm

    The dog will tolerate a lot more bouncing around than your hard drive.

    BTW, the last time we moved and had the dog shipping handled by our vet
    there were signinicant delays until the weather was more moderate. This was
    st the high side of the temp not the low side. The crew may not have as much
    control on the cargo hold tem as you would like.

    Carry the laptop on. Get one of the new carrying cases designed for easy
    inspection. You and the laptop will both be happier.

    Charlie
    Charlie, Jan 10, 2009
  7. Fulio Open

    VanguardLH Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:

    > On Or About This Time And Date In History, Fulio Open Stumbled Over
    > To The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    >> I will travel by air with a laptop computer, and for some reason
    >> prefer to put it inside the check-in baggage. The airlines doesn't
    >> care, but says it is not responsible for any problem.
    >>
    >> I know the check-in bag will experience freezing temperature in the
    >> baggage cabin. The flight time will be more than 10hours. I like to
    >> know whether or not there is risk for the computerto be damaged by the
    >> freeze.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your information and expertise on this matter.
    >> fulio pen

    > If the baggage compartment ride won't kill your dog, why should it
    > damage your computer?

    The dog will heal.
    They aren't interesting in losing the job with obvious damage.
    They don't want to pay out on the insurance or a lawsuit.
    Animals are not stored in the baggage hold area.
    Animals go into an area that is pressurized and temperature controlled.
    Animals are not subjected to being buried under tons of other baggage.
    There are special provisions for handling of animal cargo.
    Your baggage is crushable and piled atop each other.
    Animal cages are not piled atop each other.
    Animal cages are a lot stronger than your baggage.

    The OP never mentioned that the baggage used to transport his laptop
    will be on the bottom of an animal cargo cage. If true, the OP's main
    concern would be damage from the animal puking, shitting, or pissing on
    his laptop.
    VanguardLH, Jan 10, 2009
  8. Fulio Open

    VanguardLH Guest

    Fulio Open wrote:

    > I will travel by air with a laptop computer, and for some reason
    > prefer to put it inside the check-in baggage. The airlines doesn't
    > care, but says it is not responsible for any problem.
    >
    > I know the check-in bag will experience freezing temperature in the
    > baggage cabin. The flight time will be more than 10hours. I like to
    > know whether or not there is risk for the computerto be damaged by the
    > freeze.
    >
    > Thanks for your information and expertise on this matter.
    > fulio pen

    Who gives a damn about the temperatures. Have you ever bothered to
    watch how the baggage handlers actually "handle" the baggage? You had
    better have the entire suitcase filled with bubble wrap around the
    laptop along with inflexible steel plates to prevent bending. So are
    you using a non-crushable steel case and foam padded inserts designed
    specifically just to transport your laptop all by itself inside the
    case? Seems a pretty expensive solution to you safeguarding your own
    laptop as carry-on luggage (and actually carrying it with you rather
    than everyone else pelt it as they toss their non-destructive carry-on
    bags atop of your in the overhead storage bins).

    If you're looking for spare laptop parts, you're on your way. Of
    course, the moniker you chose probably explains the dumb question.
    Foolio-You-Too.
    VanguardLH, Jan 10, 2009
  9. Anyone who allows their laptop into the hands of baggage handlers is asking
    for it.
    They'll use any means to get into bags and remove anything of salable value
    from them.
    They work in teams of 'bent crews'.
    New baggage handlers are asked whether they want to join the straight or
    bent crew.

    Centre Parting, Jan 10, 2009
  10. Fulio Open

    Scribner Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:44:23 -0000, "Centre Parting"
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone who allows their laptop into the hands of baggage handlers is asking
    >for it.
    >They'll use any means to get into bags and remove anything of salable value
    >from them.
    >They work in teams of 'bent crews'.
    >New baggage handlers are asked whether they want to join the straight or
    >bent crew.
    >
    >Fulio Open wrote:
    >> I will travel by air with a laptop computer, and for some reason
    >> prefer to put it inside the check-in baggage. The airlines doesn't
    >> care, but says it is not responsible for any problem.
    >>
    >> I know the check-in bag will experience freezing temperature in the
    >> baggage cabin. The flight time will be more than 10hours. I like to
    >> know whether or not there is risk for the computerto be damaged by the
    >> freeze.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your information and expertise on this matter.
    >> fulio pen

    A couple of months ago, they busted a bunch of TSA agents at LAX.
    Scribner, Jan 10, 2009
  11. Fulio Open

    D@Z Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > The hook wrote:
    >
    >> hook:
    >> Scott of the Antarctic apparently died not from the cold but from
    >> starvation - the solder on the tins decomposed because of the cold
    >> rendering the food inedible.

    > That isn't my understanding of the death of Scott and his companions and
    > the significance of 'tin plague' in the Antarctic.
    >
    > The way I understand it...
    >
    > Scott and his men ran out of fuel and food on the return trip from their
    > belated arrival at the pole for a lot of different logistics reasons --
    > but it wasn't because of the tin solder for food tins.
    >
    > The tin solder that was the problem for them was that of the fuel oil
    > containers, which seams were made with a lead free solder and Scott et al
    > couldn't figure out why the fuel oil/ kerosene/ was 'disappearing' from
    > the containers.
    >
    > They made a lot of bad logistics judgments for that trip, but I don't know
    > about any inedible food -- but I do know about a big problem which
    > resulted from tin failure which research later came to refer to as 'tin
    > plague' -- which isn't a 'plague' at all, but a disintegration of white
    > tin.
    >
    > <snip> Tin Plague in History - The failure of Captain Robert Scott's
    > Antarctic expedition was partially caused by the lack of fuel. Supposedly,
    > his kerosene cans had been soldered together with pure tin rather than
    > tin-lead solder. The seams failed, and the kerosene leaked into the
    > now. - Conclusion - Lead-free solders have a vulnerability to tin
    > plague - the disintegration of solid tin into powder after prolonged
    > exposure to temperatures below 13° C (56° F). Alloying tin with at least
    > 5% lead or 0.5% or more of antimony or bismuth are effective ways to
    > prevent tin plague. </snip>
    >
    > <snip> Tin Plague: - Definition: "The disintegration of pure tin into
    > powder at very low temperatures as it loses its crystalline structure" -
    > Source: The Pewter Society. </snip>
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    he should have used the plastic containers you get to put petrol in at
    garages
    D@Z, Jan 10, 2009
  12. Fulio Open

    Clot Guest

    Fulio Open wrote:
    > I will travel by air with a laptop computer, and for some reason
    > prefer to put it inside the check-in baggage. The airlines doesn't
    > care, but says it is not responsible for any problem.
    >
    > I know the check-in bag will experience freezing temperature in the
    > baggage cabin. The flight time will be more than 10hours. I like to
    > know whether or not there is risk for the computerto be damaged by the
    > freeze.
    >
    > Thanks for your information and expertise on this matter.

    As a frequent flier over the years, I have never trusted my laptop to the
    lugguage apes that others refer to. I have had several suitcases, holdalls,
    etc. meet me at the carousel in a different form to which I last saw it.

    I always take the laptop with me.

    Post the 9/11 scares, (and others), I have been asked on occasions to take
    my laptop to the plane where it has been placed on the ground with others to
    be put separately into the hold. On landing, they have been taken off the
    plane and collected by their owners directly from the plane.
    Clot, Jan 10, 2009