    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    geoffm Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 02:29:36 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >The only downsides I see to these two models is limited pcmcia/pccard
    >slots, and wonder if this will really be an issue, they both have modem
    >and LAN, so wifi seems to be the only thing missing.

    Main thing I use PCMCIA slot for on my Dell is for the Wifi card,
    everything else I use USB for external connections. Uo can get USE
    Wifi adapters as well, but the PC card oens are a bit neater if you
    move the computer (no tail dangling out the back).
    Geoff
    geoffm, Oct 24, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Peter Ingham Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I am once again looking at a laptop, and have settled for one of two
    >models, both Asus ones.

    I, for one, will never purchase another Asus laptop.
    I had lots of problems with mine.
    The thing that took the cake was finding that consumables (the Li-ion
    Battery packs) were no longer manufactured, and unobtainable < 3 years
    after purchase.
    --
    Please remove '_SpamTrap' when replying. You know why :-(

    Peter Ingham
    Lower Hutt
    New Zealand

    Peter Ingham, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Matthias Guest

    Peter Ingham wrote:

    > The thing that took the cake was finding that consumables (the Li-ion
    > Battery packs) were no longer manufactured, and unobtainable < 3 years
    > after purchase.

    Under the Consumer Guarantees Act, spare parts need to be available, so
    if the place you bought your laptop from was unable to provide them, you
    probably could have asked for your money back, especially if it had been
    less than three years since your purchase. But then, IANAL.

    Anyway, I always found Asus to be one of the better cheap laptop brands.

    -- Matthias
    Matthias, Oct 25, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Matthias wrote:
    > Peter Ingham wrote:
    >
    >> The thing that took the cake was finding that consumables (the Li-ion
    >> Battery packs) were no longer manufactured, and unobtainable < 3
    >> years after purchase.

    > Under the Consumer Guarantees Act, spare parts need to be available,
    > so if the place you bought your laptop from was unable to provide
    > them, you probably could have asked for your money back, especially
    > if it had been less than three years since your purchase. But then,
    > IANAL.
    >
    > Anyway, I always found Asus to be one of the better cheap laptop
    > brands.

    I was under the impression that the CGA specifies parts must be available
    for seven years. At least that's what I remember from a while ago.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 26, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Peter Ingham Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:50:24 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Matthias wrote:
    >> Peter Ingham wrote:
    >>
    >>> The thing that took the cake was finding that consumables (the Li-ion
    >>> Battery packs) were no longer manufactured, and unobtainable < 3
    >>> years after purchase.

    >> Under the Consumer Guarantees Act, spare parts need to be available,
    >> so if the place you bought your laptop from was unable to provide
    >> them, you probably could have asked for your money back, especially
    >> if it had been less than three years since your purchase. But then,
    >> IANAL.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I always found Asus to be one of the better cheap laptop
    >> brands.

    >I was under the impression that the CGA specifies parts must be available
    >for seven years. At least that's what I remember from a while ago.

    I couldn't be bothered taking action under CGA. I've already wasted
    far more time getting the answers I have than any likely recovery
    under CGA (after still more time and cost) would be worth.

    The retailer (with whom I've directly spent > $15K, and indirectly
    through recommendations another $12K, over the last 10 years) will
    never get another major purchase out of me. Asus will now get a
    justified rubbishing in public forums whenever the opportunity arises.
    As far as I'm concerned, Asus will lose out in the long term through
    lost sales.

    Asus are a cheap brand to purchase. I thought mine was a good buy for
    about 6 weeks. My system spent >10% of it's lifetime away being
    serviced, one serious fault was never resolved. When I factor in
    lost productivity, My Asus was by far the most expensive laptop I've
    ever used.

    Peter Ingham, Oct 26, 2004