laptop clicking noise

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by tachyon, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. tachyon

    tachyon Guest

    Hi all,

    Just after some advice. I've got a Toshiba Satellite (15 months old),
    if it makes any difference.

    This morning I got to work and my laptop was making funny noises every
    few minutes. A clicking noise that appears to be coming from near
    where the fan blows the hot air out. I mean the laptop fan on this
    model is generally quite noisy, but it just starts clicking and then
    goes deathly quiet. The fan seems to spin up ok, but when it spins
    down it's making this horrible clicking noise. And that's assuming
    that it's actually the fan and not the HDD which is making the noise.

    Has anybody had any issues like this? If so, any ideas what the
    problem is and what I should do about it? A mate of mine said his
    laptop was making some funny noises and then 2 days after that his HDD
    died (though that was a Dell). If this is likely to happen, then I
    need to know if it's worth trying to fix this or whether I should just
    buy a new laptop. All advice is appreciated.

    Cheers!

    tachyon, Jan 16, 2006

  2. tachyon

    Keme Guest

    tachyon wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just after some advice. I've got a Toshiba Satellite (15 months old),
    > if it makes any difference.
    >
    > This morning I got to work and my laptop was making funny noises every
    > few minutes. A clicking noise that appears to be coming from near
    > where the fan blows the hot air out. I mean the laptop fan on this
    > model is generally quite noisy, but it just starts clicking and then
    > goes deathly quiet. The fan seems to spin up ok, but when it spins
    > down it's making this horrible clicking noise. And that's assuming
    > that it's actually the fan and not the HDD which is making the noise.

    [...]
    "Spin up", is that when you start using the disk (starting a program or
    opening a document, in which case it probably is the disk), or is it
    independent of the current action performed (in which case it's probably
    a cooling fan)? Does spin up/-down coincide with noticeable change in
    airflow?

    "Cladac-cladac" 5-10 times with somewhat less than a second between?
    That's your hard disk failing. Back up your data and expect to need a
    replacement HDD any day.

    "Frrrrrr" gradually lower pitched? Probably a worn fan bearing or some
    obstruction (dust buildup) by the fan. May lead to overheating, with
    poor stability and reduced equipment lifetime expected.

    Keme, Jan 16, 2006

  3. tachyon

    tachyon Guest

    The spin up/down does coincide with a noticeable change in airflow
    which is why i thought it was the fan...though it seems to spin down
    pretty randomly. It does spin up when i start a new program or reboot
    like it's supposed to.

    There appears to be about 5 or so clicks (very short, only lasts maybe
    1-2 seconds) and then nothing for a few minutes before it does it
    again. They all appear to be at the same pitch. But what gets me is
    that it doesn't "sound" like the hard drive, it sounds like the fan
    (the fan is next to the heat outlet and that's where the noise is
    coming from), but then that doesn't match what you mentioned above.

    tachyon, Jan 16, 2006
  4. tachyon

    Aardvark Guest

    tachyon blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I mean the laptop fan on this
    > model is generally quite noisy

    Complete and utter bullshit. I stole a Toshiba Satellite which produces no
    noise at all.

    --
    Your mother was a noxious shoplifter who ate rats in beer barrels.

    Aardvark, Jan 17, 2006
  5. tachyon

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Keme wrote:
    > tachyon wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Just after some advice. I've got a Toshiba Satellite (15 months old),
    >> if it makes any difference.
    >>
    >> This morning I got to work and my laptop was making funny noises every
    >> few minutes. A clicking noise that appears to be coming from near
    >> where the fan blows the hot air out. I mean the laptop fan on this
    >> model is generally quite noisy, but it just starts clicking and then
    >> goes deathly quiet. The fan seems to spin up ok, but when it spins
    >> down it's making this horrible clicking noise. And that's assuming
    >> that it's actually the fan and not the HDD which is making the noise.

    > [...]
    > "Spin up", is that when you start using the disk (starting a program or
    > opening a document, in which case it probably is the disk), or is it
    > independent of the current action performed (in which case it's probably
    > a cooling fan)? Does spin up/-down coincide with noticeable change in
    > airflow?
    >
    > "Cladac-cladac" 5-10 times with somewhat less than a second between?
    > That's your hard disk failing. Back up your data and expect to need a
    > replacement HDD any day.

    I agree! Back it up now if you're lucky. Ignore it and you're screwed.

    Rick Merrill, Jan 18, 2006
  6. tachyon

    Todd H. Guest

    "tachyon" <> writes:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just after some advice. I've got a Toshiba Satellite (15 months old),
    > if it makes any difference.
    >
    > This morning I got to work and my laptop was making funny noises every
    > few minutes. A clicking noise that appears to be coming from near
    > where the fan blows the hot air out. I mean the laptop fan on this
    > model is generally quite noisy, but it just starts clicking and then
    > goes deathly quiet. The fan seems to spin up ok, but when it spins
    > down it's making this horrible clicking noise. And that's assuming
    > that it's actually the fan and not the HDD which is making the noise.
    >
    > Has anybody had any issues like this?

    This tends to be the only harbinger you get of complete and utter hard
    drive failure.

    Back up your data pronto (external hard drive can be useful for this),
    and get a new drive on order for your laptop.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Jan 18, 2006
  7. tachyon

    Guest Guest

    This crackpot has no connection with me, real or imagined, whatsoever

    Guest, Mar 30, 2006