    balance of cheap and reliable. Does not have to be powerful, will mainly be
    used for web browsing and running Office.

    Thanks!

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 29, 2007

  2. Nik Coughlin

    nod Guest

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:13:58 +1300, "Nik Coughlin"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi, looking for advice or recommendations on a laptop with the optimum
    >balance of cheap and reliable. Does not have to be powerful, will mainly be
    >used for web browsing and running Office.
    >
    >Thanks!

    A friend got a Compaq Presario from DSE a few months ago for about
    $800. She uses it just as you specify. It has been fine up to now.

    nod, Oct 29, 2007

  3. In message <fg5ien$v82$>, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Does not have to be powerful, will mainly be used for web browsing and
    > running Office.

    Elsewhere in this noisegroup you should see discussion of the Asus Eee,
    which Dick Smith is already taking orders for.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 29, 2007
  4. Nik Coughlin

    thingy Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > Hi, looking for advice or recommendations on a laptop with the optimum
    > balance of cheap and reliable. Does not have to be powerful, will
    > mainly be used for web browsing and running Office.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Depends on how cheap and reliable you want!

    The bottom end laptops at $800~$900 from DSE look very good value for
    money....I'd look at the Asus ones as they have a 2 year warrantee as
    standard (I believe).

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 29, 2007
  5. Nik Coughlin

    impossible Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, looking for advice or recommendations on a laptop with the optimum
    > balance of cheap and reliable. Does not have to be powerful, will mainly
    > be used for web browsing and running Office.
    >
    > Thanks!

    As with buying a car, much depends on what "cheap" and "reliable" mean to
    you, and whether performance matters at all. Depending on what you do with
    (MS?) Office, it can either be a demanding application or not. So what kind
    of machine do you run it with now? And could you tolerate longer waits for
    files to open, slower scrolling, bogged down calculations and queries, etc
    if you downgraded specs? Is Open Office on Linux a viable alternative for
    you? All the major manufacturers have raised the "entry-level" bar pretty
    high now especially in terms of cpu power, so it's hard to go wrong with
    almost any new purchase -- those that allow you to customize a package are
    probably your best bet. Second-hand may be more than powerful enough, and
    possibly very cheap, but reliabilty in laptops (especially batteries and
    displays) is not something you really want to be wondering about for
    anything out of warranty, so beware.
    Checked the usual suspects?

    http://www.notebookreview.com/

    http://laptopmag.com/Review/index.htm

    http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/pro...ebooks_good?c=nz&cs=nzdhs1&l=en&s=dhs#connect

    http://h50034.www5.hp.com/products/hppav_ntp.asp

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Laptops/mcat-0002-0356-.htm

    impossible, Oct 29, 2007
  6. Nik Coughlin

    peterwn Guest

    On Oct 30, 10:59 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi, looking for advice or recommendations on a laptop with the optimum
    > > balance of cheap and reliable. Does not have to be powerful, will mainly
    > > be used for web browsing and running Office.

    > > Thanks!

    > As with buying a car, much depends on what "cheap" and "reliable" mean to
    > you, and whether performance matters at all. Depending on what you do with
    > (MS?) Office, it can either be a demanding application or not. So what kind
    > of machine do you run it with now? And could you tolerate longer waits for
    > files to open, slower scrolling, bogged down calculations and queries, etc
    > if you downgraded specs?

    In which case Windows XP and Office 2003 is probably a better bet than
    the buggy and different format current offering, if one wants to
    continue the MS way.

    peterwn, Oct 29, 2007
  7. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    > In message <fg5ien$v82$>, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> Does not have to be powerful, will mainly be used for web browsing and
    >> running Office.

    > Elsewhere in this noisegroup you should see discussion of the Asus Eee,
    > which Dick Smith is already taking orders for.

    I did mention it to her (it's for my girlfriend) but the 7" screen is a deal
    breaker for her.

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 29, 2007
  8. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "nod" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:13:58 +1300, "Nik Coughlin"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, looking for advice or recommendations on a laptop with the optimum
    >>balance of cheap and reliable. Does not have to be powerful, will mainly
    >>be
    >>used for web browsing and running Office.
    >>
    >>Thanks!

    > A friend got a Compaq Presario from DSE a few months ago for about
    > $800. She uses it just as you specify. It has been fine up to now.

    Yes, she hates DSE with a vengeance :) She got her last laptop from them and
    has had nothing but problems with it, and they took ages to fix it every
    time. But looking at Compaqs, among others.

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 29, 2007
  9. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 30, 10:59 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message

    >> > Hi, looking for advice or recommendations on a laptop with the optimum
    >> > balance of cheap and reliable. Does not have to be powerful, will
    >> > mainly
    >> > be used for web browsing and running Office.

    >> > Thanks!

    >> As with buying a car, much depends on what "cheap" and "reliable" mean to
    >> you, and whether performance matters at all. Depending on what you do
    >> with
    >> (MS?) Office, it can either be a demanding application or not. So what
    >> kind
    >> of machine do you run it with now? And could you tolerate longer waits
    >> for
    >> files to open, slower scrolling, bogged down calculations and queries,
    >> etc
    >> if you downgraded specs?

    > In which case Windows XP and Office 2003 is probably a better bet than
    > the buggy and different format current offering, if one wants to
    > continue the MS way.

    I was thinking XP and OO, she's a poor student and doesn't want to shell out
    for Office.

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 30, 2007
  10. Nik Coughlin

    > "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    >> On Oct 30, 10:59 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >>> "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message

    >>> As with buying a car, much depends on what "cheap" and "reliable" mean
    >>> you, and whether performance matters at all. Depending on what you do
    >>> with
    >>> (MS?) Office, it can either be a demanding application or not. So what
    >>> kind
    >>> of machine do you run it with now? And could you tolerate longer waits
    >>> for
    >>> files to open, slower scrolling, bogged down calculations and queries,
    >>> etc
    >>> if you downgraded specs?

    >> In which case Windows XP and Office 2003 is probably a better bet than
    >> the buggy and different format current offering, if one wants to
    >> continue the MS way.

    > I was thinking XP and OO, she's a poor student and doesn't want to shell
    > out for Office.

    Is this some kind of quiz you're running where we're supposed to keep
    guessing what you want? You clearly have some definite specs in mind. Why
    don't you just go shopping yourself?

    impossible, Oct 30, 2007
  11. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "impossible" <> wrote in message

    > Is this some kind of quiz you're running where we're supposed to keep
    > guessing what you want?

    No, I was in chat mode at this point, responding to the last point made in
    this thread.

    > You clearly have some definite specs in mind. Why don't you just go
    > shopping yourself?

    I am, concurrently to this thread. But being human, we have this advantage
    of being able to share experiences and extrasomatic knowledge with each
    other, and I was interested in the opinions of others. So shoot me!

    Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning did we?

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 30, 2007
  12. In message <fg5u90$b9$>, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> [bad-tempered snipe]

    > Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning did we?

    Don't worry about it, impossible is normally like that.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 30, 2007
  13. Nik Coughlin

    > "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Is this some kind of quiz you're running where we're supposed to keep
    >> guessing what you want?

    > No, I was in chat mode at this point, responding to the last point made in
    > this thread.
    >
    >> You clearly have some definite specs in mind. Why don't you just go
    >> shopping yourself?

    > I am, concurrently to this thread. But being human, we have this
    > advantage of being able to share experiences and extrasomatic knowledge
    > with each other, and I was interested in the opinions of others. So shoot
    > me!
    >
    > Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning did we?

    No, just puzzled why you throw out an open-ended request for suggestions,
    then procede to shoot each one down based on prior conditions you'd already
    settled on but hadn't bothered to tell anyone about. Better you should
    follow some of the links I suggested to orient yourself to what's available
    and what they cost, and then pose some specific questions you'd like
    feedback on.

    impossible, Oct 30, 2007
  14. Nik Coughlin

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "Nik Coughlin" typed:
    > "impossible" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Is this some kind of quiz you're running where we're supposed to
    > > keep guessing what you want?

    > No, I was in chat mode at this point, responding to the last point
    > made in this thread.
    >
    > > You clearly have some definite specs in mind. Why don't you just go
    > > shopping yourself?

    > I am, concurrently to this thread. But being human, we have this
    > advantage of being able to share experiences and extrasomatic
    > knowledge with each other, and I was interested in the opinions of
    > others. So shoot me!
    > Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning did we?

    He has a point Nik. You gave a lot less information in your first post than
    was later forthcoming. Consequently, this sharing of extrasomatic knowledge
    that you were hoping to benefit from has in fact wasted time for people
    sharing. When they take the time to give you advice which, on further
    'sharing' on your part, was a total waste of time it's no wonder that
    someone might express frustration.

    Way to piss people off. You have specifics in mind for this purchase that
    you didn't mention initially, (and possibly more that you haven't
    mentioned). If you want this sharing thing to be mutually satisfying then it
    pays to give as much info as possible in your initial post. Otherwise you
    leave people who were trying to be accomodating and help you feeling as if
    they've been used and then dismissed.

    The world used to be a lot more polite and considerate place. You use the
    term "but being human.." as an explaination for your actions. One wonders
    what that term means these days. Little by little we become less and less
    "human". Instead of realising that impossible has a valid point and that you
    have marginalised people in this thread, you insinuate that /he/ is in fact
    the transgressor.

    I fear for the future of the human race. It's little things like this that
    define us, not cataclysmic events. The more it becomes acceptable to do the
    easy thing, in this case get defensive, as opposed to thinking it through
    and realising that you could in fact have done things differently, and
    apologise, (or at least not get 'snarky') the less pleasant society becomes.

    And so it goes....
    --
    TTFN

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 30, 2007
  15. Nik Coughlin

    blanking Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    > I fear for the future of the human race. It's little things like this that
    > define us, not cataclysmic events. The more it becomes acceptable to do
    > the easy thing, in this case get defensive, as opposed to thinking it
    > through and realising that you could in fact have done things differently,
    > and apologise, (or at least not get 'snarky') the less pleasant society
    > becomes.
    >
    > And so it goes....
    > --
    > TTFN
    >
    > Shaun.

    Don't disagree but this coming from you nearly made me fall off my chair, if
    only you took your own advice the world would indeed be a better place, I am
    referring to my previous dealings with you of course where you couldn't be
    more opposing the advice that you give here.

    blanking, Oct 30, 2007
  16. Nik Coughlin

    > "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Is this some kind of quiz you're running where we're supposed to keep
    >>> guessing what you want?

    >> No, I was in chat mode at this point, responding to the last point made
    >> in this thread.
    >>
    >>> You clearly have some definite specs in mind. Why don't you just go
    >>> shopping yourself?

    >> I am, concurrently to this thread. But being human, we have this
    >> advantage of being able to share experiences and extrasomatic knowledge
    >> with each other, and I was interested in the opinions of others. So
    >> shoot me!
    >>
    >> Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning did we?

    > No, just puzzled why you throw out an open-ended request for suggestions,
    > then procede to shoot each one down based on prior conditions you'd
    > already settled on but hadn't bothered to tell anyone about. Better you
    > should follow some of the links I suggested to orient yourself to what's
    > available and what they cost, and then pose some specific questions you'd
    > like feedback on.

    I have looked through most of those links, thanks. I've got a bad cold so
    I'm not thinking too clearly today, I'm sorry if I was short with you (funny
    really, I was accusing you of being short with me).

    I don't have any specs in mind as anything that's sold new at the moment
    will be powerful enough. My main concern is reliability at the low end of
    the price range.

    The last laptop that she had (it's for my girlfriend) was an Acer and she
    had no end of trouble with it, and then had trouble getting it fixed. They
    dragged their feet about even repairing it under CGA, as the warranty had
    expired. Then they took weeks to get it back to her, at which point she had
    to return it to be fixed again as they hadn't actually done anything.

    Is the build quality likely to be the same regardless of brand at that price
    level?

    Does anyone have any particular brands to recommend for their build
    quality/durability?

    notebookreview didn't seem to have much or anything about most of the cheap
    models being sold here at the moment.

    I tried a Google search for these to try and get comments, which was
    interesting:

    "Dell laptops are"
    "Toshiba laptops are"
    "Compaq laptops are"
    etc.

    Probably was that there were disparaging remarks for all of the brands. You
    can't please all of the people all of the time I guess :)

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 30, 2007
  17. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> Hi, looking for advice or recommendations on a laptop with the optimum
    >> balance of cheap and reliable. Does not have to be powerful, will mainly
    >> be used for web browsing and running Office.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > Depends on how cheap and reliable you want!
    >
    > The bottom end laptops at $800~$900 from DSE look very good value for
    > money....I'd look at the Asus ones as they have a 2 year warrantee as
    > standard (I believe).

    I like Asus, I have one that is 5 or 6 years old, doesn't get much use any
    more but is still working fine. Not worried about warranty, Consumer
    Guarantees Act for the win :) Will look into them further

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 30, 2007
  18. Nik Coughlin

    > "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "impossible" <> wrote in message

    >>> No, I was in chat mode at this point, responding to the last point made
    >>> in this thread.

    >>> I am, concurrently to this thread. But being human, we have this
    >>> advantage of being able to share experiences and extrasomatic knowledge
    >>> with each other, and I was interested in the opinions of others. So
    >>> shoot me!
    >>>
    >>> Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning did we?

    >> No, just puzzled why you throw out an open-ended request for suggestions,
    >> then procede to shoot each one down based on prior conditions you'd
    >> already settled on but hadn't bothered to tell anyone about. Better you
    >> should follow some of the links I suggested to orient yourself to what's
    >> available and what they cost, and then pose some specific questions you'd
    >> like feedback on.

    > I have looked through most of those links, thanks. I've got a bad cold so
    > I'm not thinking too clearly today, I'm sorry if I was short with you
    > (funny really, I was accusing you of being short with me).
    >
    > I don't have any specs in mind as anything that's sold new at the moment
    > will be powerful enough. My main concern is reliability at the low end of
    > the price range.

    Reliability with any of the new products is about the same, I think, whether
    the prie is high or low -- by which I mean that most of the components are
    much of a muchness across all brands and the build quality is pretty even.
    For each brand, you'll be apt to find some model that turns out to be a real
    clunker, which is why I think it's always good to read independent
    reviews -- and also to browse the user forums that most of the major
    manufactuers have on their sites. But this is seldom a matter of price.

    > The last laptop that she had (it's for my girlfriend) was an Acer and she
    > had no end of trouble with it, and then had trouble getting it fixed.
    > They dragged their feet about even repairing it under CGA, as the warranty
    > had expired. Then they took weeks to get it back to her, at which point
    > she had to return it to be fixed again as they hadn't actually done
    > anything.
    >
    > Is the build quality likely to be the same regardless of brand at that
    > price level?

    As I say, build quality is pretty good across all brands and price ranges.
    Everyone has their horror stories to report, but these are always exceptions
    to the rule, as far as I can tell, and I would never base my buying
    decision on anecdotes like that. Having said that, I'm reluctant to ever
    recommend that people count on the CGA to protect themselves when it comes
    to laptops. You need written warranties from the vendor, and be sure to look
    at the fine print so you know what you're getting into. In many cases, it's
    simply not worth it to pay big money for a long-term total-care warranty.
    Most faulty components reveal themselves within a few days or weeks, and
    leading vendors typically make it easy to recover your purchase price in
    full (or to get a total replacement) for a period of thirty days or so --
    for free. I'd really insist on that kind of provision first up. Beyond that,
    it's a lot like taking out insurance on anything -- risky no matter which
    choice you make.

    > Does anyone have any particular brands to recommend for their build
    > quality/durability?
    >
    > notebookreview didn't seem to have much or anything about most of the
    > cheap models being sold here at the moment.

    Yeah, reviewers tend to focus on the higher-end models, that's true. I was
    mainly recommending those sites just to give you a better idea of what some
    of the different considerations might be with all newer hardware
    combinations out there. In any case, for what you seem to be after, I
    wouldn't worry too much. Dell, Asus, HP -- they're all (probably) going to
    give you a decent entry-level machine. So just try to work up some
    comparison of all the basic components on offer -- cpu, memory, hard drive
    speed and capacity, display -- and see what you're going to get for your
    money. Deals come and go nowadays on a regular basis, so it's hard to
    predict what the best one for you will turn out to be.

    > I tried a Google search for these to try and get comments, which was
    > interesting:
    >
    > "Dell laptops are"
    > "Toshiba laptops are"
    > "Compaq laptops are"
    > etc.
    >
    > Probably was that there were disparaging remarks for all of the brands.
    > You can't please all of the people all of the time I guess :)

    Yes, and as I've tried to indicate here, the whole of idea of trying to
    compare "Dell laptops " with "Toshiba laptops" is mistaken. Each brand has
    produced their share of successes and failures over time -- model by model,
    reputations change. I really think that, on balance, you can't go wrong with
    any of the major brands nowadays -- unless of course you simply pay too much
    :) Good hunting!

    impossible, Oct 30, 2007
  19. Nik Coughlin

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "blanking" typed:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I fear for the future of the human race. It's little things like
    > > this that define us, not cataclysmic events. The more it becomes
    > > acceptable to do the easy thing, in this case get defensive, as
    > > opposed to thinking it through and realising that you could in fact
    > > have done things differently, and apologise, (or at least not get
    > > 'snarky') the less pleasant society becomes.
    > >
    > > And so it goes....

    > Don't disagree but this coming from you nearly made me fall off my
    > chair, if only you took your own advice the world would indeed be a
    > better place, I am referring to my previous dealings with you of
    > course where you couldn't be more opposing the advice that you give
    > here.

    If I was wrong I apologise. However, obviously, I didn't think I was, or at
    least, less "wrong" than you were.
    --
    TTFN

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 30, 2007
  20. Nik Coughlin

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "Nik Coughlin" typed:
    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > > > Hi, looking for advice or recommendations on a laptop with the
    > > > optimum balance of cheap and reliable. Does not have to be
    > > > powerful, will mainly be used for web browsing and running Office.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks!

    > > Depends on how cheap and reliable you want!
    > >
    > > The bottom end laptops at $800~$900 from DSE look very good value
    > > for money....I'd look at the Asus ones as they have a 2 year
    > > warrantee as standard (I believe).

    > I like Asus, I have one that is 5 or 6 years old, doesn't get much
    > use any more but is still working fine. Not worried about warranty,
    > Consumer Guarantees Act for the win :) Will look into them further

    I'll second Asus. They are a PC component manufacturer themselves (with a
    good reputation) so I'd think that most laptop components are made in-house,
    giving them a lot of control over the whole process. Unlike Dell, HP etc.
    who out-source extensively.

    That said, I've never owned a laptop made this century. ;-) However, if/when
    I buy a laptop I'll be looking into Asus' offerings first, as I do when I
    buy PC components.
    --
    TTFN

    Shaun.