    happen"!!
    thanx
    kendra

    Kendra Kay, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Kendra Kay

    DaveG Guest

    "Kendra Kay" <> wrote in message
    news:6Qqnb.4738$...
    > Any advice please? - maybe it's just - "Don't charge it for too

    long" ? I'm
    > hoping someone will say "leave it charging forever and nothing will
    > happen"!!

    Correct.
    Overnight is no problem,I guess once the charge is 100% it stops
    pulling current anyway,if you never intend using the battery you could
    always remove it.
    I rarely remove the battery and use the laptop on the move frequently.
    There is some advice about discharging the battery once in a while but
    personally I never did this,other than run the battery down.
    The battery don't seem to last so long these days,must emphasize
    *seems* though.
    Which make/model is the laptop Kendra??

    ATB-DG.

    ps-there are dedicated laptop NG's,just in case you're interested ;-)

    DaveG, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Kendra Kay

    HamMan Guest

    "Kendra Kay" <> wrote in message
    > I've noticed that if I leave the laptop connected to the power cable for
    > more than 15mins, it (the cable/ adapter thing) gets warmer and warmer. Is
    > there any risk in that because some times I forget that it's charging and

    go
    > out. It's never been for too long but I'm worried about the consequences

    if
    > I forget one day and leave it overnight or something. What could happen?
    > I think my laptop is of North American design (keyboard letters, phone

    slot
    > size and adapter for power) so maybe that is related to the overheating in
    > someway.
    > I'm still getting used to the laptop having used a desktop before and I'm
    > beginning to see that there are disadvantages to a laptop as well as
    > advantages.
    > Any advice please? - maybe it's just - "Don't charge it for too long" ?

    I'm
    > hoping someone will say "leave it charging forever and nothing will
    > happen"!!
    > thanx
    > kendra

    After 4 or 5 hours of use, the one for my laptop is too hot to pick up, but
    once it reaches it hottest temp it seems to stay there.

    One thing, if youre using it plugged in with the battery fully charged, its
    worthwhile removing the battery to prevent damaging it. Theyre rather
    expensive little things.

    Hamman

    HamMan, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Kendra Kay

    DaveG Guest

    "HamMan" <> wrote in
    message news:bnletp$a3q$...

    > "Kendra Kay" <> wrote in message
    > > I've noticed that if I leave the laptop connected to the power

    cable for
    > > more than 15mins, it (the cable/ adapter thing) gets warmer and

    warmer. Is
    > > there any risk in that because some times I forget that it's

    charging and
    > go
    > > out. It's never been for too long but I'm worried about the

    consequences
    > if
    > > I forget one day and leave it overnight or something. What could

    happen?
    > > I think my laptop is of North American design (keyboard letters,

    phone
    > slot
    > > size and adapter for power) so maybe that is related to the

    overheating in
    > > someway.
    > > I'm still getting used to the laptop having used a desktop before

    and I'm
    > > beginning to see that there are disadvantages to a laptop as well

    as
    > > advantages.
    > > Any advice please? - maybe it's just - "Don't charge it for too

    long" ?
    > I'm
    > > hoping someone will say "leave it charging forever and nothing

    will
    > > happen"!!
    > > thanx
    > > kendra
    > >

    > After 4 or 5 hours of use, the one for my laptop is too hot to pick

    up, but
    > once it reaches it hottest temp it seems to stay there.

    I doubt it's the battery generating this heat rather the mobo
    transferring the heat,heating a battery will cause damage long term
    though doubtless they are now designed to withstand a little gentle
    warming!
    Otherwise they'd be useless inside a month.

    > One thing, if youre using it plugged in with the battery fully

    charged, its
    > worthwhile removing the battery to prevent damaging it. Theyre

    rather
    > expensive little things.

    The problem with that seems to be the amount of power the battery
    loses,say overnight,is as much as 25%.Ideally when you switch to
    battery only you want 100% and a second(expensive) battery!

    ATB-DG.

    DaveG, Oct 28, 2003
  5. Kendra Kay

    Kendra Kay Guest

    "DaveG" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "Kendra Kay" <> wrote in message
[...]
    Dave, it's an IBM ThinkPad. I like one suggestion you mentioned - remove
    the battery? Sounds fantastic - then I can leave it plugged on all the time?
    kendra

    Kendra Kay, Oct 28, 2003
  6. Kendra Kay

    Kendra Kay Guest

    "DaveG" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "HamMan" <> wrote in
    : message news:bnletp$a3q$...
    : >
    : > "Kendra Kay" <> wrote in message
[...]
    : > >
    : > >
    : >
[...]
    Seems like removing the battery and leaving it plugged in all the time is
    the ideal solution forme. Saves on battery life and takes away the hassle of
    recharging especially as I'm not travelling with it these days
    Thank you very much folks
    Kendra
    PS Done! Battery removed!

    Kendra Kay, Oct 28, 2003
  7. Kendra Kay

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Kendra Kay wrote:
    > "DaveG" <> wrote in message
    > :
    > : "Kendra Kay" <> wrote in message
    > : news:6Qqnb.4738$...
    > : > Any advice please? - maybe it's just - "Don't charge it for too
    > : long" ? I'm
    > : > hoping someone will say "leave it charging forever and nothing will
    > : > happen"!!
    > :
    > : Correct.
    > : Overnight is no problem,I guess once the charge is 100% it stops
    > : pulling current anyway,if you never intend using the battery you could
    > : always remove it.
    > : I rarely remove the battery and use the laptop on the move frequently.
    > : There is some advice about discharging the battery once in a while but
    > : personally I never did this,other than run the battery down.
    > : The battery don't seem to last so long these days,must emphasize
    > : *seems* though.
    > : Which make/model is the laptop Kendra??
    > :
    > : ATB-DG.
    > :
    > : ps-there are dedicated laptop NG's,just in case you're interested ;-)
    > :
    > Thanx
    > Dave, it's an IBM ThinkPad. I like one suggestion you mentioned - remove
    > the battery? Sounds fantastic - then I can leave it plugged on all the time?
    > kendra

    Don't remove the battery - they you will not have UPS!
    The unit is designed to have battery and plug at the same time.

    Rick Merrill, Oct 28, 2003
  8. Kendra Kay

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Kendra Kay wrote:

> [...]
    > :
    > : > One thing, if youre using it plugged in with the battery fully
    > : charged, its
    > : > worthwhile removing the battery to prevent damaging it. Theyre
    > : rather
    > : > expensive little things.
    > :
    > : The problem with that seems to be the amount of power the battery
    > : loses,say overnight,is as much as 25%.Ideally when you switch to
    > : battery only you want 100% and a second(expensive) battery!
    > :
    > : ATB-DG.
    > :
    > Seems like removing the battery and leaving it plugged in all the time is
    > the ideal solution forme. Saves on battery life and takes away the hassle of
    > recharging especially as I'm not travelling with it these days

    And when you DO need the battery it will have slowly discharged.
    I'd say this will not work. What do others think? - RM

    Rick Merrill, Oct 28, 2003
  9. Kendra Kay

    Kendra Kay Guest

    "DaveG" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "Kendra Kay" <> wrote in message
[...]

    No other NG's thank you. I've become very comfortable in this room. I've
    even got my own lurker's armchair!

    Kendra Kay, Oct 28, 2003
  10. Kendra Kay

    Kendra Kay Guest

    "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    : Kendra Kay wrote:
    : > "DaveG" <> wrote in message
    : > news:bnleos$ipo$...
    : > :
    : > : "Kendra Kay" <> wrote in message
[...]

    What's UPS? I've been happily living without a battery for the last 3 hours.
    You mean I have to put it back again??!! I thought I had died and gone to
    heaven!!!!

    Kendra Kay, Oct 28, 2003
  11. Kendra Kay

    Kendra Kay Guest

    "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    : Kendra Kay wrote:
    :
    : > "DaveG" <> wrote in message
    : > news:bnlg1o$jpj$...
    : > :
    : > : "HamMan" <> wrote in
    : > : message news:bnletp$a3q$...
    : > : >
    : > : > "Kendra Kay" <> wrote in message
[...]
    : > : > >
    : > : > >
    : > : >
[...]

    but I can charge it again when I need to travel with the laptop - can't I?
    OK I need some firm advice now.....can I or can't I get rid of the battery
    for a while and just leave the laptop connected to a power supply?
    :

    Kendra Kay, Oct 28, 2003
  12. Kendra Kay

    trout Guest

    Kendra Kay wrote:
    <snip>

    > Seems like removing the battery and leaving it plugged in all the
    > time is the ideal solution forme. Saves on battery life and takes
    > away the hassle of recharging especially as I'm not travelling with
    > it these days
    > Thank you very much folks
    > Kendra
    > PS Done! Battery removed!

    You don't mention which type of battery you're using. One note (from
    the IBM website):

    "NOTE:
    Do not deep-discharge Lithium Ion batteries. Batteries can degrade when
    they are left unused for long periods of time. For some rechargeable
    batteries (particularly Lithium Ion batteries), leaving a battery unused
    in a discharged state could increase the risk of a battery short
    circuit, which could shorten the life of the battery and can also pose a
    safety hazard. Do not let rechargeable Lithium-Ion batteries completely
    discharge or store these batteries in a discharged state."

    Searched from page;
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/search/index.html
    --
    "I didn't provide a direct link, as the search-pages expire."

    trout, Oct 28, 2003
  13. Kendra Kay

    trout Guest

    Kendra Kay wrote:

    > "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> Don't remove the battery - they you will not have UPS!
    >> The unit is designed to have battery and plug at the same time.
    >>

    > What's UPS? I've been happily living without a battery for the last 3
    > hours. You mean I have to put it back again??!! I thought I had died
    > and gone to heaven!!!!

    Uninterrupted Power Source. Basically; meaning having battery
    back-up available.
    --
    "So you wouldn't be effected by power outages or 'brown-outs'."

    trout, Oct 28, 2003
  14. Kendra Kay

    Kendra Kay Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    : Kendra Kay wrote:
    : <snip>
    :
[...]
    : --
    : "I didn't provide a direct link, as the search-pages expire."
    :

    It is a Lithium one. I've put it back in again. Thank you very much for the
    advice
    kendra
    :

    Kendra Kay, Oct 29, 2003
  15. Kendra Kay

    Don Jennings Guest

    Seems like, amongst all these respondents, there'd be at least one who knows
    batteries theoretically. Apparently, however, all these knowledgeable
    people rely on experience only. Now let a "know it all" engineer put in his
    two cents' worth. Or should it be two pence?

    Most batteries benefit from being deep discharged occasionally --- but NOT
    lithium-ion batteries, nor should they be stored in a discharged state. Any
    stored battery has a finite "shelf life", i.e. it will discharge and become
    worthless after a time if not peak charged.

    Leave your battery in your laptop alone until such time as it may need
    replacement. The heat that you observe is not an overheated battery; it's
    the transformer that's converting AC current to DC. That's what your
    battery needs for recharging.

    Don Jennings, Oct 29, 2003
  16. Kendra Kay

    Plato Guest

    Kendra Kay wrote:

    > I've noticed that if I leave the laptop connected to the power cable for
    > more than 15mins, it (the cable/ adapter thing) gets warmer and warmer. Is

    NOrmal.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 29, 2003
  17. Kendra Kay

    Kendra Kay Guest

    Thank you. Does that mean that no harm is done if I leave it on for a long
    time?
    I understand I should not allow it to discharge completely. Unfortunately
    that happens if I do go out and leave the laptop on eg if it is downloading
    something that is taking a long time. In that case, should I
    a) switch the laptop off to conserve some charge in the battery? or
    b) leave it (battery and laptop) connected to power.
    In other words, is there such a thing as overcharging and is it harmful?
    Merci
    Kendra
    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    : >

    Kendra Kay, Oct 29, 2003
  18. Kendra Kay

    Don Jennings Guest

    "Kendra Kay" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you. Does that mean that no harm is done if I leave it on for a long
    > time?
    > I understand I should not allow it to discharge completely. Unfortunately
    > that happens if I do go out and leave the laptop on eg if it is

    downloading
    > something that is taking a long time. In that case, should I
    > a) switch the laptop off to conserve some charge in the battery? or
    > b) leave it (battery and laptop) connected to power.
    > In other words, is there such a thing as overcharging and is it harmful?
    > Merci
    > Kendra
    > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > : Kendra Kay wrote:
    > : >
    > : > I've noticed that if I leave the laptop connected to the power cable

    for
    > : > more than 15mins, it (the cable/ adapter thing) gets warmer and

    warmer.
    > Is
    > :
    > : NOrmal.
    > :
    > :
    > : --
    > : http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Whilst plugged in, your computer works from the "wall current" at the same
    time that it is charging. When not "on" and plugged in, it will recharge
    only. Your battery will not overcharge if left plugged in. The converter
    (ac to dc) will he hotter (but not overheat) until your battery is fully
    charged. After the battery is fully charged, the converter will stabilize
    at a temperature less than that when still charging. No harm will come from
    leaving a fully charged battery connected to the charger.

    Don Jennings, Oct 29, 2003
  19. Kendra Kay

    Coleen Weber Guest

    I have a IBM Think Pad also and usually always leave it plugged into the
    power. It does get quite warm but I have never unplugged it. I do try to
    make sure that I turn it off when not in use but other than that it has
    stayed on for days at a time and I have had no problems with it.

    Coleen Weber, Oct 30, 2003
  20. Kendra Kay

    Kendra Kay Guest

    "Coleen Weber" <> wrote in message
    : I have a IBM Think Pad also and usually always leave it plugged into the
    : power. It does get quite warm but I have never unplugged it. I do try to
    : make sure that I turn it off when not in use but other than that it has
    : stayed on for days at a time and I have had no problems with it.
    Right. thank you Coleen. I'll do that for a while. I guess I have to try
    everything to find out what works for me. Thanx again
    Kendra
    :
    :

    Kendra Kay, Oct 30, 2003