    is this just because im not using a battery? ive used a different phone
    cable and the same thing happens so i know its not that.

    id be greatful for any help you can offer..
    Chrissey, May 25, 2005

  2. Chrissey

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:59:39 +0100, "Chrissey"
    <> wrote:

    >The problem is when i plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone signal
    >goes dead so i cannot connect to the internet.

    What do you mean by it goes dead?

    >It does this no matter if the laptop is switched on or off. as soon as i remove the cable the phone
    >signal is back

    Are you talking about picking up an extension? And when you plug the
    phone cable into the laptops modem jack, whether the laptop is on or
    off, the extension is dead?
    Evan Platt, May 25, 2005

  3. Chrissey

    Guest

    On "Chrissey" <> wrote:

    |>I am awaiting a new battery for my advent 7011 laptop so i am using it on
    |>the mains without the old battery
    |>
    |>The problem is when i plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone signal
    |>goes dead so i cannot connect to the internet. It does this no matter if the
    |>laptop is switched on or off. as soon as i remove the cable the phone
    |>signal is back
    |>
    |>is this just because im not using a battery? ive used a different phone
    |>cable and the same thing happens so i know its not that.
    |>
    |>id be greatful for any help you can offer..

    That's a weird one, make sure the power cord is as far away from the
    phone line as possible. The problem could caused by inductance.

    Neat link to play with:
    http://www.ngsir.netfirms.com/englishhtm/RL.htm

    --
    http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/
    , May 25, 2005
  4. Chrissey

    Chrissey Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:59:39 +0100, "Chrissey"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >The problem is when i plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone

    signal
    > >goes dead so i cannot connect to the internet.

    > What do you mean by it goes dead?

    when i pick up the phone i cant hear anything.. no dial tone.. just a
    bit of crackling, i take the phone cable out and the dial tone is back as
    normal

    > >It does this no matter if the laptop is switched on or off. as soon as i

    remove the cable the phone
    > >signal is back

    > Are you talking about picking up an extension? And when you plug the
    > phone cable into the laptops modem jack, whether the laptop is on or
    > off, the extension is dead?
    >
    > it is just a cable running to the adapter in the phone socket with my

    phone plugged into also.
    Chrissey, May 25, 2005
  5. Chrissey

    Mellowed Guest

    If you are connecting to a business exchange line, it might be digital.
    Otherwise, I don't have a clue.

    :
    Mellowed, May 25, 2005
  6. Chrissey

    Chrissey Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On "Chrissey" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>I am awaiting a new battery for my advent 7011 laptop so i am using it

    on
    > |>the mains without the old battery
    > |>
    > |>The problem is when i plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone

    signal
    > |>goes dead so i cannot connect to the internet. It does this no matter if

    the
    > |>laptop is switched on or off. as soon as i remove the cable the phone
    > |>signal is back
    > |>
    > |>is this just because im not using a battery? ive used a different phone
    > |>cable and the same thing happens so i know its not that.
    > |>
    > |>id be greatful for any help you can offer..
    > |>

    > That's a weird one, make sure the power cord is as far away from the
    > phone line as possible. The problem could caused by inductance.

    well, the power cord is in the same place as it always has been, the only
    difference is i dont have the battery inside the laptop.. could there be too
    much electricity is going into the laptop?

    Chrissey, May 25, 2005
  7. Chrissey

    Guest

    On "Chrissey" <> wrote:

    |><> wrote in message

    |>on

    |>signal
    |>the

    |>> That's a weird one, make sure the power cord is as far away from the
    |>> phone line as possible. The problem could caused by inductance.

    |>well, the power cord is in the same place as it always has been, the only
    |>difference is i dont have the battery inside the laptop.. could there be too
    |>much electricity is going into the laptop?

    More electricity, greater magmatic field, larger inductor. It was just
    a guess.

    --
    http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/
    , May 25, 2005
  8. Chrissey

    Guest

    , May 25, 2005
  9. Chrissey

    Chrissey Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On "Chrissey" <> wrote:
    >

    > |><> wrote in message

    it
    > |>on

    phone
    > |>signal

    matter if
    > |>the

    phone

    phone

    > |>well, the power cord is in the same place as it always has been, the

    only
    > |>difference is i dont have the battery inside the laptop.. could there be

    too
    > |>much electricity is going into the laptop?
    >
    > More electricity, greater magmatic field, larger inductor. It was just
    > a guess.

    i just dont understand why its never happened before. thanks for your help.
    Chrissey, May 25, 2005
  10. Chrissey

    Aquanaut Guest

    "Chrissey" <> wrote in message
    >I am awaiting a new battery for my advent 7011 laptop so i am using it on
    > the mains without the old battery
    >
    > The problem is when i plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone
    > signal
    > goes dead so i cannot connect to the internet. It does this no matter if
    > the
    > laptop is switched on or off. as soon as i remove the cable the phone
    > signal is back
    >
    > is this just because im not using a battery? ive used a different phone
    > cable and the same thing happens so i know its not that.
    >
    > id be greatful for any help you can offer..

    Has it ever worked in the location you are talking about?
    Have you added an extra phone connection point?
    My best guess is you have exceeded the REN of the line by plugging in the
    laptop along with your other phones.You can check this by unplugging ALL
    equipment from the phone sockets bar the laptop---does the connection work
    now? assuming yes plug in one more phone---still work? carry on untill you
    get failure--AKA you will have achieved the max load you can place on your
    phone line.
    Aquanaut, May 25, 2005
  11. Chrissey

    old jon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On wrote:
    >
    > |>greater magmatic field
    >
    > How about magnetic, spell checker came up with magmatic.

    INSERT> Dump the spell checker, you do a lot better without it <g>

    old jon, May 25, 2005
  12. Chrissey

    Aquanaut Guest

    "Aquanaut" <> wrote in message

    > "Chrissey" <> wrote in message
    >>I am awaiting a new battery for my advent 7011 laptop so i am using it on
    >> the mains without the old battery
    >>
    >> The problem is when i plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone
    >> signal
    >> goes dead so i cannot connect to the internet. It does this no matter if
    >> the
    >> laptop is switched on or off. as soon as i remove the cable the phone
    >> signal is back
    >>
    >> is this just because im not using a battery? ive used a different phone
    >> cable and the same thing happens so i know its not that.
    >>
    >> id be greatful for any help you can offer..
    >>

    > Has it ever worked in the location you are talking about?
    > Have you added an extra phone connection point?
    > My best guess is you have exceeded the REN of the line by plugging in the
    > laptop along with your other phones.You can check this by unplugging ALL
    > equipment from the phone sockets bar the laptop---does the connection work
    > now? assuming yes plug in one more phone---still work? carry on untill
    > you get failure--AKA you will have achieved the max load you can place on
    > your phone line.

    An average household instalation will have a REN value of 4 the average
    phone has a ren of 1 (usually on a sticker on underside of phone) modems
    vary between 1 and 1.5
    Do you have call waiting etc initialised if so try disabling it.
    Another thing to bear in mind is you may be on a shared line,if that is the
    case you will only have a REN value of 2

    REN = ringer equivalant number
    Aquanaut, May 25, 2005
  13. Chrissey

    pcbutts1 Guest

    No the battery makes no difference. Try using a different phone cord and
    plug and if nothing works then the modem is bad. Also make sure you are
    plugging it into the correct plug on your laptop, not the Ethernet port.

    pcbutts1, May 25, 2005
  14. Chrissey

    Chrissey Guest

    "Aquanaut" <> wrote in message

    > "Aquanaut" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Chrissey" <> wrote in message
    > >>I am awaiting a new battery for my advent 7011 laptop so i am using it

    on
    > >> the mains without the old battery
    > >>
    > >> The problem is when i plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone
    > >> signal
    > >> goes dead so i cannot connect to the internet. It does this no matter

    if
    > >> the
    > >> laptop is switched on or off. as soon as i remove the cable the phone
    > >> signal is back
    > >>
    > >> is this just because im not using a battery? ive used a different phone
    > >> cable and the same thing happens so i know its not that.
    > >>
    > >> id be greatful for any help you can offer..
    > >>

    > > Has it ever worked in the location you are talking about?
    > > Have you added an extra phone connection point?
    > > My best guess is you have exceeded the REN of the line by plugging in

    the
    > > laptop along with your other phones.You can check this by unplugging ALL
    > > equipment from the phone sockets bar the laptop---does the connection

    work
    > > now? assuming yes plug in one more phone---still work? carry on untill
    > > you get failure--AKA you will have achieved the max load you can place

    on
    > > your phone line.

    it worked up until today when i took the battery out of it. At the
    moment im using this pc with a phone so im guessing its not that. i tried
    the laptop alone without a phone and no connection. but im pretty sure i
    need to have the phone on as well to dial up.

    Chrissey, May 25, 2005
  15. Chrissey wrote:

    > well, the power cord is in the same place as it always has been, the only
    > difference is i dont have the battery inside the laptop.. could there be too
    > much electricity is going into the laptop?

    No.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, May 25, 2005
  16. Chrissey

    Chrissey Guest

    the battery was the only thing i could think of that was different to
    yesterday when it was working fine. can you explain how the modem would
    effect the phone line when the laptop is switched off?

    Chrissey, May 25, 2005
  17. Chrissey

    Chrissey Guest

    Chrissey, May 25, 2005
  18. wrote:
    > On "Chrissey" <> wrote:

    >|>I am awaiting a new battery for my advent 7011 laptop so i am using
    >it on |>the mains without the old battery |> |>The problem is when i
    >plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone signal |>goes dead so i
    >cannot connect to the internet. It does this no matter if the |>laptop
    >is switched on or off. as soon as i remove the cable the phone
    >|>signal is back |> |>is this just because im not using a battery? ive
    >used a different phone |>cable and the same thing happens so i know its
    >not that. |> |>id be greatful for any help you can offer.. |>

    > That's a weird one, make sure the power cord is as far away from the
    > phone line as possible. The problem could caused by inductance.

    Nah.

    Sounds to me like the modem's going offhook on its own, but not getting
    an ATD to dial out. I don't know why that would be. I haven't shopped
    for a modem in years (laptop or otherwise) -- do new ones have some kind
    of autodetect on line connection feature (kind of a WOPLC - Wake On
    Phone Line Connection <g>) ?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, May 25, 2005
  19. Mellowed wrote:

    > If you are connecting to a business exchange line, it might be digital.
    > Otherwise, I don't have a clue.

    Whoa! I fried a laptop modem once, doing that. Literally. Ended up
    with a charcoal component sitting on a black burn smudge on the
    printed circuit board. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, May 25, 2005
  20. Chrissey

    pcbutts1 Guest

    It could be a number of things, a bad phone cord, easy fix. Wake On Lan is a
    feature that will boot your computer when it is turned off. That works
    because when your computer is turned off power is still supplied to some
    components of the motherboard. If the modem is bad it could cause circuits
    to cross and short out. Have you physically examined the modem port to make
    sure the prongs are not bent.

    pcbutts1, May 25, 2005