Laptop can't connect to Wifi

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by bumc, Apr 23, 2009.

  1. bumc

    bumc

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    I faced a WIFI connection problem : my laptop (ACER Aspire 5051ANWXMi with 802.11b/g wireless LAN built in) able to detect the WIFI connection but can't browse any website (Firefox shows: CAN'T DISPLAY THE WEBSITE) in a FREE WIFI CAFE. :-( I'd tried the configuration ways below:

    1. go "TCP/IP"->"Properties" to choose "obtain IP Address Automatically" and "Obtain DNS address Automatically". But it detected very long time and finally get a "Invalid ip address" with ip:0.0.0.0, subnet mask:0.0.0.0, gateway: [emtpy].

    2. go "TCP/IP"->"Properties" to choose "Use following IP Address" and "Use following DNS address". I type "192.168.0.1" in ip, "255.255.255.0" in subnet, and "192.168.1.1" in gateway(which I copied from other customer computer). Finally, icon in the right below show "Connected, signal: very good". But when i open firefox or ie browser, it show can't display as well.

    3. Again, go "TCP/IP"->"Properties" to choose "Use following IP Address" and "Use following DNS address". I changed ip to "192.168.1.1", "255.255.255.0" in subnet, and "192.168.1.1" in gateway. Finally, icon in the right below show "Connected, signal: very good". But when i open firefox or ie browser, it shows same result.

    4. go firefox or ie browser, choose "internet option", and choose "direct connect to internet" (mean without access through proxy). As the result, Firefox "hang", and ie show can't display as well.

    5. go "network connection"->"support", and click "repair". It restarts my wireless connection, but same result still.

    6. I tried the ways above, and normally once change I will make a restart to my computer. But it still can't access to internet. I'd tried 4 WIFI available shops.

    hope IT expect here can give some suggestion. Thx first.

    bumc, Apr 23, 2009

  2. bumc

    bumc

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    I think my problem had solved as this morning i able to access internet in another WIFI cafe. I used auto detect for ip and dns, and I able to get them. But sadly, I only can browse internet through IE but not firefox. When I double-clicked firefox, nothing appeared.

    I feel appreciate if anyone can provide suggestion to this problem as well. Thx.

    bumc, Apr 24, 2009

  3. bumc

    jbuyers

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2009
    Messages:
    47
    sounds like you need to update to SP3, like NOW

    jbuyers, Jun 22, 2009