Laptop can't connect to secure networks

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Peter Smithson, Sep 9, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I've got a friends laptop to look at. All of a sudden it stopped
    connecting to various wireless networks. She tried the network card
    in another PC and that was fine.

    I have found that if I turn off WEP security on my router, it will
    connect to my router. But with it enabled, it won't connect. It was
    working a few months ago with security on my router. I've not changed
    my router settings in that time.

    So something has happened to her laptop to stop it working on secure
    networks. I tried re-installing the network card driver and her
    boyfriend ran some "winsock fix" type application to fix corruption
    but that didn't help.

    The PC is running Windows XP, the network card is a DLINK DWL-G650+.
    The router is a cable and Wireless MIMO router. (but the problems
    occur with other routers).

    Any ideas?

    Thanks.

    Peter.
    Peter Smithson, Sep 9, 2007

  2. "Peter Smithson" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got a friends laptop to look at. All of a sudden it stopped
    > connecting to various wireless networks. She tried the network card
    > in another PC and that was fine.
    >
    > I have found that if I turn off WEP security on my router, it will
    > connect to my router. But with it enabled, it won't connect. It was
    > working a few months ago with security on my router. I've not changed
    > my router settings in that time.
    >
    > So something has happened to her laptop to stop it working on secure
    > networks. I tried re-installing the network card driver and her
    > boyfriend ran some "winsock fix" type application to fix corruption
    > but that didn't help.
    >
    > The PC is running Windows XP, the network card is a DLINK DWL-G650+.
    > The router is a cable and Wireless MIMO router. (but the problems
    > occur with other routers).
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Peter.

    I think your Friend Laptop Wireless Hardware defer and may be having some
    compatibility issue in some point in the Encryption.
    Do you enter the Encryption Key Phrase into Her Wireless Settings to be able
    to connect?.
    Also try to reconfigured my router to use a HEX pass instead of an ASCII
    string and then try the Connection, does it help?.
    I recommend using WPA encryption method as it is safer than WEP, which
    consider weak by Today's security average.

    Wireless by Barb Bowman:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/bowman_wirelesssecurity.mspx
    Set up a wireless network
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/wireless.mspx
    HTH.
    nass
    ----
    www.nasstec.co.uk
    =?Utf-8?B?bmFzcw==?=, Sep 9, 2007

  3. Hi
    As said above you have to configure the WEP on the Laptop.
    Some WEP installations would not configured with pass phrase in such case
    you need to copy the HEX string from your Router and paste it to the WEP
    menu of the laptop. See here, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wep
    In addition check the Wireless installation to make sure that it is working.
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 10, 2007
  4. Peter Smithson

    Jim Guest

    "Peter Smithson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got a friends laptop to look at. All of a sudden it stopped
    > connecting to various wireless networks. She tried the network card
    > in another PC and that was fine.
    >
    > I have found that if I turn off WEP security on my router, it will
    > connect to my router. But with it enabled, it won't connect. It was
    > working a few months ago with security on my router. I've not changed
    > my router settings in that time.
    >
    > So something has happened to her laptop to stop it working on secure
    > networks. I tried re-installing the network card driver and her
    > boyfriend ran some "winsock fix" type application to fix corruption
    > but that didn't help.
    >
    > The PC is running Windows XP, the network card is a DLINK DWL-G650+.
    > The router is a cable and Wireless MIMO router. (but the problems
    > occur with other routers).
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Peter.

    The simplest, most likely, and easiest explanation is that the keys don't
    match.
    Further indication that this is indeed a very good reason is that when you
    convert
    the network to unencrypted, the computer and the router can connect.
    It can be rather tedious to get them to match though. It took me three
    attempts
    to get a WPA-PSK key correctly input.
    Jim
    Jim, Sep 10, 2007
  5. On Sep 10, 3:22 pm, "Jim" <> wrote:
    > "Peter Smithson" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,

    > > I've got a friends laptop to look at. All of a sudden it stopped
    > > connecting to various wireless networks. She tried the network card
    > > in another PC and that was fine.

    > > I have found that if I turn off WEP security on my router, it will
    > > connect to my router. But with it enabled, it won't connect. It was
    > > working a few months ago with security on my router. I've not changed
    > > my router settings in that time.

    > > So something has happened to her laptop to stop it working on secure
    > > networks. I tried re-installing the network card driver and her
    > > boyfriend ran some "winsock fix" type application to fix corruption
    > > but that didn't help.

    > > The PC is running Windows XP, the network card is a DLINK DWL-G650+.
    > > The router is a cable and Wireless MIMO router. (but the problems
    > > occur with other routers).

    > > Any ideas?

    > > Thanks.

    > > Peter.

    > The simplest, most likely, and easiest explanation is that the keys don't
    > match.
    > Further indication that this is indeed a very good reason is that when you
    > convert
    > the network to unencrypted, the computer and the router can connect.
    > It can be rather tedious to get them to match though. It took me three
    > attempts
    > to get a WPA-PSK key correctly input.
    > Jim- Hide quoted text -

    Yeah - know what you mean. This is different though as the computer
    used to work with the stored key on my network and is now not working
    no other networks. I'll try out the various suggestions though.

    Thanks.
    Peter Smithson, Sep 16, 2007