    computer this feature worked fine,since windows updates it does not.
    Does the Beta SP2 fix this issue?

    Thanks for any & all help

    Kue2, Dec 29, 2008

  2. Check to see if the device driver is happily loaded (devmgr.msc). You may
    need to reload the drivers for it. Also, you should check the HP site to see
    if there are updated drivers. HP is pretty good about providing updates as
    required. And making them possible to find.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 29, 2008

  3. Kue2

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Kue2.

    And, after making sure the device is installed by using devmgmt.msc, as
    Charlie suggested, use Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) to assign a "drive"
    letter to that SD card reader.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Live Mail 2009 1202 in Win7 x64 6801)

    R. C. White, Dec 29, 2008
  4. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    Hi Charlie
    It states this in device Manager:

    This device cannot start. (Code 10)
    Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and
    to see if there is a solution available.
    I click on check for solution.......get nothing back????
    When I first put the sd2gb card in the card reader slot the safely remove
    device icon appears in the tray.So vista is aware of the device,yet it does
    not show.....in my computer.
    It is listed as an "generic volume" in Device Manager with the above error
    as stated.
    BTW SP2 beta does not fix this issue,as I just finished loading it.{:-{{{{{
    When I go to problem reports & solution "no new solution are found"

    Any other suggestions?Anything else I can try?
    Before running windows updates & installing updates this same card was
    visible in My computer,I did not have a problem with it.
    I also goggled it but none of the "solutions" posted worked for me.

    Thks for your help so far....

    Kue2, Dec 29, 2008
  5. OK, so it doesn't like the current driver. That's what it's telling you.
    Check the HP site for updated drivers - that's the first step. Try loading
    those drivers to see if that resolves the issue.

    If that doesn't work, try deleting the device entirely from within Device
    Manager. Then reboot and let it be re-detected. Point it at the new drivers
    you downloaded from HP if it asks for drivers.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 29, 2008
  6. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    as an add on:
    If I take the Kodak dock off my computer & attach it to my wife's
    computer,the pictures are seen & can be transferred.
    The problem appears to be with a sd2 gb card & vista reading it.

    Kue2, Dec 29, 2008
  7. Kue2

    Carlos Guest

    Hugh,
    Check here:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/e42d107a-bb3c-4a3e-9668-19183baaca93/
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 29, 2008
  8. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    Thanks again Charlie Carlos & RC nothing so far has worked,No "new" updated
    drivers for the: Ricoh 5-1 Card Reader
    I tried all suggestions so far.

    Kue2, Dec 29, 2008
  9. Kue2

    Carlos Guest

    Hugh,
    Are you using THIS latest driver from HP
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3442974&os=2093
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 29, 2008
  10. Kue2

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Kue2.

    My only SD card reader is a simple one-slot device on the end of a USB
    cable; it's from SanDisk and cost only about $20 about 5 years ago. I used
    Disk Management to assign it Drive S:. My only use for it is to transfer
    photos from my Nikon cameras to Adobe Photoshop Elements, and it works well
    for that. (Well, I do use it occasionally to move photos back to the SD
    card; it also works well as "just another drive", but is small and slow for
    that function.) It works well in WinXP, Vista and now Windows 7 with no
    special drivers, just what is built into the OS.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Live Mail 2009 1202 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 v.113)

    R. C. White, Dec 29, 2008
  11. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    Thanks RC for your help,but this one has got me.Went to the photo store here
    & picked up a usb card reader.It's doing the job nicely now.It's a usb 2.0
    sd,sdhc,mmc card reader.Thought I would be able to get the built in one on
    my wife's laptop working........but I am wrong....tough one this time...
    Thanks for your time.....

    Kue2, Dec 30, 2008
  12. Kue2

    Billy11 Guest

    Hi Kue2,

    Have the same exact problem on my brand new HP dv6837 c l laptop and have
    tried all the same things recommended here as well as a hand full of others
    and have had no luck. My 2GB sandisk card is recognized, but still a code 10.

    This is very disappointing, and is squarely a Vista problem that MS needs to
    fix.

    Bill

    Billy11, Jan 3, 2009
  13. Kue2

    Jim Jenson Guest

    Hi everyone,
    I just ran into this problem today on a customers Dell Latitude D620 w/ SD
    Card slot. All same types of errors/symptoms, however this machine runs Win
    XP Pro SP3. Not just a Vista problem. I hate to spend hours on such a simple
    problem, but customer is very interested in getting onboard device working.
    Has already had Dell replace Motherboard with no luck. Dell recommends to
    reinstall XP, but from what I am reading, once we get all Windows updates,
    the problem is very likely to reappear and haven't found just yet which
    hotfix is related. If anyone else finds a solution, I'd prefer not to post my
    email, but I have a contact form on my website at
    http://www.athroughzcomputing.com/ and I'd greatly appreciate knowing what
    causes this. Also, I don't believe this is related to just the high-speed
    cards since I have a Lexar 1gb SD card that doesn't appear to be a
    high-speed card. HELP!

    Jim Jenson, Jan 28, 2009