Laptop between 2 networks

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by EAgle, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    Hi all,
    Another question for you all. I have a laptop that I use on 2 different
    networks, Both enable IP addrresses via DHCP and both have their own proxy
    servers for various protocols.

    What i'm doing at the moment is every time I switch between the networks, I
    release and renew my IP to make sure I get the correct settings for the
    network I'm on, then I have to go and change the proxy server settings for
    each application that I'm going to use.

    This is a hassle, and I remember reading somewhere at some point in time
    that there was software which allowed this to be done easily. Basically have
    2 or more network configs sitting on one computer and you can switch between
    the two. Anyone know of any such software? Or a simpler way of doing this?
    Dual boot System with RedHat Linux 9 and Windows XP, I would like the
    solution for Windows since I dont use Linux on one of the networks.

    Cheers,
    EAgle

    EAgle, Sep 29, 2003

  2. EAgle

    Pleb Plebian Guest

    "EAgle" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > Another question for you all. I have a laptop that I use on 2 different
    > networks, Both enable IP addrresses via DHCP and both have their own proxy
    > servers for various protocols.

    <snip>
    Basically have
    > 2 or more network configs sitting on one computer and you can switch

    between
    > the two. Anyone know of any such software? Or a simpler way of doing this?
    > Dual boot System with RedHat Linux 9 and Windows XP, I would like the
    > solution for Windows since I dont use Linux on one of the networks.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > EAgle

    http://www.netswitcher.com/
    Have used this on NT, ME and Win2000 laptops: very reliable. Changes Inet
    settings too - eg dialin vs network (gateway) info etc.
    HTH
    -Pleb

    Pleb Plebian, Sep 29, 2003

  3. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    "Pleb Plebian" <> wrote in message
    > "EAgle" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > > Another question for you all. I have a laptop that I use on 2 different
    > > networks, Both enable IP addrresses via DHCP and both have their own

    proxy
    > > servers for various protocols.
    > >

    > <snip>
    > Basically have
    > > 2 or more network configs sitting on one computer and you can switch

    > between
    > > the two. Anyone know of any such software? Or a simpler way of doing

    this?
    > > Dual boot System with RedHat Linux 9 and Windows XP, I would like the
    > > solution for Windows since I dont use Linux on one of the networks.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > EAgle

    > http://www.netswitcher.com/
    > Have used this on NT, ME and Win2000 laptops: very reliable. Changes Inet
    > settings too - eg dialin vs network (gateway) info etc.
    > HTH
    > -Pleb

    Thanks.. I'll try that out..

    EAgle, Sep 29, 2003
  4. EAgle

    steve Guest

    EAgle wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > Another question for you all. I have a laptop that I use on 2 different
    > networks, Both enable IP addrresses via DHCP and both have their own proxy
    > servers for various protocols.
    >
    > What i'm doing at the moment is every time I switch between the networks, I
    > release and renew my IP to make sure I get the correct settings for the
    > network I'm on, then I have to go and change the proxy server settings for
    > each application that I'm going to use.
    >
    > This is a hassle, and I remember reading somewhere at some point in time
    > that there was software which allowed this to be done easily. Basically have
    > 2 or more network configs sitting on one computer and you can switch between
    > the two. Anyone know of any such software? Or a simpler way of doing this?
    > Dual boot System with RedHat Linux 9 and Windows XP, I would like the
    > solution for Windows since I dont use Linux on one of the networks.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > EAgle

    I get around it by using MS IE on one network and Mozilla on the other.

    At least you use DHCP on both networks. I havestatic IP on one and DHCP
    on the other.....and everything works fine as long as I remember to
    reconfig the network before i shutdown and head off off to the other
    network.

    steve, Sep 30, 2003
  5. EAgle

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "EAgle" <> wrote in message

    > This is a hassle, and I remember reading somewhere at some point in time
    > that there was software which allowed this to be done easily. Basically

    have
    > 2 or more network configs sitting on one computer and you can switch

    between
    > the two. Anyone know of any such software? Or a simpler way of doing this?
    > Dual boot System with RedHat Linux 9 and Windows XP, I would like the
    > solution for Windows since I dont use Linux on one of the networks.

    Set up two hardware profiles. One for each network, with the NIC set with a
    static address for each. The other way to achieve something similar would be
    to pre-set your "Private network address" to one network.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    Losers always whine about their 'best'.

    Mr Scebe, Sep 30, 2003
  6. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > EAgle wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > Another question for you all. I have a laptop that I use on 2 different
    > > networks, Both enable IP addrresses via DHCP and both have their own

    proxy
    > > servers for various protocols.
    > >
    > > What i'm doing at the moment is every time I switch between the

    networks, I
    > > release and renew my IP to make sure I get the correct settings for the
    > > network I'm on, then I have to go and change the proxy server settings

    for
    > > each application that I'm going to use.
    > >
    > > This is a hassle, and I remember reading somewhere at some point in time
    > > that there was software which allowed this to be done easily. Basically

    have
    > > 2 or more network configs sitting on one computer and you can switch

    between
    > > the two. Anyone know of any such software? Or a simpler way of doing

    this?
    > > Dual boot System with RedHat Linux 9 and Windows XP, I would like the
    > > solution for Windows since I dont use Linux on one of the networks.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > EAgle

    > I get around it by using MS IE on one network and Mozilla on the other.
    >
    > At least you use DHCP on both networks. I havestatic IP on one and DHCP
    > on the other.....and everything works fine as long as I remember to
    > reconfig the network before i shutdown and head off off to the other
    > network.

    Thanks.. the software that Pleb suggested seem to work sweet though. You
    could give that a try as well.

    EAgle, Sep 30, 2003
  7. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    "Mr Scebe" <> wrote in message

    > "EAgle" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > This is a hassle, and I remember reading somewhere at some point in time
    > > that there was software which allowed this to be done easily. Basically

    > have
    > > 2 or more network configs sitting on one computer and you can switch

    > between
    > > the two. Anyone know of any such software? Or a simpler way of doing

    this?
    > > Dual boot System with RedHat Linux 9 and Windows XP, I would like the
    > > solution for Windows since I dont use Linux on one of the networks.

    > Set up two hardware profiles. One for each network, with the NIC set with

    > static address for each. The other way to achieve something similar would

    be
    > to pre-set your "Private network address" to one network.
    >
    > --
    > Mr Scebe
    > Losers always whine about their 'best'.
    > Winners go home and **** the prom queen".
    > ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Pleb suggesting this peice of software http://www.netswitcher.com/ which
    worked great for me. Might be useful for you as well.

    Cheers,
    EAgle

    EAgle, Sep 30, 2003
  8. "EAgle" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > What i'm doing at the moment is every time I switch between the networks,

    > release and renew my IP to make sure I get the correct settings for the
    > network I'm on, then I have to go and change the proxy server settings for
    > each application that I'm going to use.
    >
    > This is a hassle, and I remember reading somewhere at some point in time
    > that there was software which allowed this to be done easily. Basically

    have
    > 2 or more network configs sitting on one computer and you can switch

    between
    > the two. Anyone know of any such software? Or a simpler way of doing this?
    > Dual boot System with RedHat Linux 9 and Windows XP, I would like the
    > solution for Windows since I dont use Linux on one of the networks.
    >
    > Cheers, EAgle

    I have two laptops running Windows XP. When I linked up the two, I had to
    run a configuration facility by clicking one of the icons that popped up.
    This created a 'network place' for the other computer. I expect that a
    second computer when configured wil create a new 'network place', ie, do the
    same job as some third party utilities mentioned in other replies. I did not
    have to juggle IP adresses.

    Windows 98 has something similar, but I managed to wreck it when
    uninstalling a manually configured wireless network card. The uninstallation
    took some vital system files with it.

    Henry

    Henry Falkner, Sep 30, 2003
  9. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    "Henry Falkner" <> wrote in message

    > "EAgle" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > > What i'm doing at the moment is every time I switch between the

    networks,
    > > release and renew my IP to make sure I get the correct settings for the
    > > network I'm on, then I have to go and change the proxy server settings

    for
    > > each application that I'm going to use.
    > >
    > > This is a hassle, and I remember reading somewhere at some point in time
    > > that there was software which allowed this to be done easily. Basically

    > have
    > > 2 or more network configs sitting on one computer and you can switch

    > between
    > > the two. Anyone know of any such software? Or a simpler way of doing

    this?
    > > Dual boot System with RedHat Linux 9 and Windows XP, I would like the
    > > solution for Windows since I dont use Linux on one of the networks.
    > >
    > > Cheers, EAgle

    > I have two laptops running Windows XP. When I linked up the two, I had to
    > run a configuration facility by clicking one of the icons that popped up.
    > This created a 'network place' for the other computer. I expect that a
    > second computer when configured wil create a new 'network place', ie, do

    the
    > same job as some third party utilities mentioned in other replies. I did

    not
    > have to juggle IP adresses.
    >
    > Windows 98 has something similar, but I managed to wreck it when
    > uninstalling a manually configured wireless network card. The

    uninstallation
    > took some vital system files with it.
    >
    > Henry

    Hi Henry,
    I think you misinterpreted the question. The problem here is with ONE
    computer connecting to TWO networks, not TWO computers on ONE network.
    Windows XP by default keeps one configuration per Ethernet adapter, but more
    importantly than that, it only keeps one internet configuration (proxy
    servers etc). This is where the 3rd party utilities become handy.
    Cheers,
    EAgle

    EAgle, Sep 30, 2003