    site, but no joy.

    Any bright ideas?

    JJD

    JJD, Sep 19, 2004

  2. JJD

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:05:15 +1200, JJD <> wrote:

    >I have a Compaq 700 with a repacked Li-ION battery. The battery fully
    >charges, but the laptop will only use the first couple of % and then
    >it tells me it's empty. If I disable the alarm level shutdowns and
    >let it just run to empty, it runs the laptop for several hours, even
    >though the battery symbol has a red cross through it and says just 1%
    >remaining, for most of this two hour period.
    >
    >I've tried to recalibrate with the method suggested on the Compaq site
    >(run battery dead flat and then recharge, then restart on battery) but
    >this makes no difference. I also installed a firmware fix from the
    >site, but no joy.
    >
    >Any bright ideas?
    >
    >JJD

    Simple send the battery back..

    Karen Parker, Sep 19, 2004

  3. JJD

    Collector-NZ Guest

    JJD said the following on 19/09/2004 14:05:
    > I have a Compaq 700 with a repacked Li-ION battery. The battery fully
    > charges, but the laptop will only use the first couple of % and then
    > it tells me it's empty. If I disable the alarm level shutdowns and
    > let it just run to empty, it runs the laptop for several hours, even
    > though the battery symbol has a red cross through it and says just 1%
    > remaining, for most of this two hour period.
    >
    > I've tried to recalibrate with the method suggested on the Compaq site
    > (run battery dead flat and then recharge, then restart on battery) but
    > this makes no difference. I also installed a firmware fix from the
    > site, but no joy.
    >
    > Any bright ideas?
    >
    > JJD

    From your post it appears to be an issue with the battery level monitor
    not the battery, when it was repacked was it perhaps a Nicad orginally?

    Collector-NZ, Sep 19, 2004
  4. JJD

    JJD Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:50:35 +1200, Collector-NZ
    <> wrote:

    >JJD said the following on 19/09/2004 14:05:
    >> I have a Compaq 700 with a repacked Li-ION battery. The battery fully
    >> charges, but the laptop will only use the first couple of % and then
    >> it tells me it's empty. If I disable the alarm level shutdowns and
    >> let it just run to empty, it runs the laptop for several hours, even
    >> though the battery symbol has a red cross through it and says just 1%
    >> remaining, for most of this two hour period.
    >>
    >> I've tried to recalibrate with the method suggested on the Compaq site
    >> (run battery dead flat and then recharge, then restart on battery) but
    >> this makes no difference. I also installed a firmware fix from the
    >> site, but no joy.
    >>
    >> Any bright ideas?
    >>

    > From your post it appears to be an issue with the battery level monitor
    >not the battery, when it was repacked was it perhaps a Nicad orginally?

    No, it was a Li-ION. I was thinking that it was with the level
    indicator, but does this take a report from the circuitry in the
    battery casing? I don't know whether the fault is in the battery
    circuitry, or in the laptop.

    JJD

    JJD, Sep 19, 2004
  5. JJD

    JJD Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:39:56 +1200, Karen Parker
    < wrote:

    >>I have a Compaq 700 with a repacked Li-ION battery. The battery fully
    >>charges, but the laptop will only use the first couple of % and then
    >>it tells me it's empty. If I disable the alarm level shutdowns and
    >>let it just run to empty, it runs the laptop for several hours, even
    >>though the battery symbol has a red cross through it and says just 1%
    >>remaining, for most of this two hour period.
    >>
    >>I've tried to recalibrate with the method suggested on the Compaq site
    >>(run battery dead flat and then recharge, then restart on battery) but
    >>this makes no difference. I also installed a firmware fix from the
    >>site, but no joy.
    >>
    >>Any bright ideas?

    >Simple send the battery back..

    You know, when I asked if there were any bright ideas I actually typed
    "This will exclude Wodger", but then deleted it, thinking it was a bit
    harsh. Wrong again!

    JJD

    JJD, Sep 19, 2004
  6. JJD

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    JJD <> wrote:

    >You know, when I asked if there were any bright ideas I actually typed
    >"This will exclude Wodger", but then deleted it, thinking it was a bit
    >harsh. Wrong again!

    Actually, he's right this time(*). Send it back to the repacker. I don't
    know about that particular battery, but the majority of laptop batteries
    have charge monitoring circuitry in them.

    (*) He's not perfect, he can't get it wrong all the time.

    It's ironic that people who are too smart to engage in politics
    are governed by people who are not as smart.

    Don Hills, Sep 19, 2004
  7. JJD

    JJD Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:41:56 +1200, (Don Hills)
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >JJD <> wrote:
    >>>

    >>You know, when I asked if there were any bright ideas I actually typed
    >>"This will exclude Wodger", but then deleted it, thinking it was a bit
    >>harsh. Wrong again!

    >Actually, he's right this time(*). Send it back to the repacker. I don't
    >know about that particular battery, but the majority of laptop batteries
    >have charge monitoring circuitry in them.
    >
    >(*) He's not perfect, he can't get it wrong all the time.

    Then, my apologies to Wodger.

    JJD

    JJD, Sep 19, 2004