    using power from the mains and only install the

    battery when mains power is not available?

    Wal

    Wal, Jan 21, 2004

  2. Wal

    Harrison Guest

    Depends on the age and type of the battery.
    The newer batteries will not be harmed by being on a constant charge.
    Short-cycling some of the older batteries results in a memory effect
    and reduces the battery's life between charges.
    "Conditioning" older batteries can help them to maintain fuller and
    longer charges. This involves a full discharge, then recharge, repeat.
    The newer batteries should never be fully discharged.
    Most of the newer batteries are Lithium Ion.

    Harrison, Jan 21, 2004

  3. Wal

    Emrys Davies Guest

    'Wal',

    Some useful tips here.

    http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6255-5054530.html

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Jan 21, 2004
  4. Wal wrote:

    > Please do any of you knowledgeable people
    > out there know:
    > Does it shorten a Laptops battery life to have it
    > more or less on permanent charge. Or is it better
    > to remove battery from the computer when
    > using power from the mains and only install the
    > battery when mains power is not available?

    Holy hell this is a (no pun intended) charged topic.

    Short answer, it depends on the battery type and what the comp
    manufacturer suggests.

    Some people claim NiCad's eventually exhibit a "memory" when not fully
    discharged before recharging after a while... others claim otherwise.

    Some claim you can indefinately "float-charge" a Lead-Acid cell...
    others say you'll eventually cook the plates inside.

    Me? I say whatever the type, reboot into DOS mode and let the sucker run
    out of power... then fully recharge every few days.

    Unless, of course, the comp maker says otherwise.

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Jan 21, 2004
  5. Wal

    Wal Guest

    <Harrison> wrote in message
    > Depends on the age and type of the battery.
    > The newer batteries will not be harmed by being on a constant charge.
    > Short-cycling some of the older batteries results in a memory effect
    > and reduces the battery's life between charges.
    > "Conditioning" older batteries can help them to maintain fuller and
    > longer charges. This involves a full discharge, then recharge, repeat.
    > The newer batteries should never be fully discharged.
    > Most of the newer batteries are Lithium Ion.

    Thank you for that advice Harrison.

    Wal

    Wal, Jan 21, 2004
  6. Wal