    Cheers..
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, May 16, 2010

  2. tony sayer

    John Guest

    tony sayer wrote:
    > As above we need a replacement battery for our ACER 5630 laptop.
    > Anyone can recommend a supplier of either original equipment
    > (Panasonic Battery Li-ion pack) or decent replacement copy ones?..
    >
    > Cheers..

    www.batteryexpress.org.uk are local to me so I went to the place when I
    needed a battery for my Acer Aspire 5630. Good battery, decent price, so
    yeah, I'd recommend them.

    John

    John, May 16, 2010

  3. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    In message <hsosq5$pf5$>, at 14:43:19 on Sun, 16 May
    2010, Gio <> remarked:

    I was happy with a laptop battery from http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/hk3zone
    --
    Roland Perry

    Roland Perry, May 16, 2010
  4. Idon't know where to buy, but it occurs to me that this is the sort of thing
    that eBay should have, and it would be a safe thing to buy from there.

    Jeff Strickland, May 17, 2010
  5. tony sayer

    Duncan Wood Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2010 16:11:47 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
    <> wrote:

    > In article <hsosq5$pf5$>,
    > Gio <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Dave Plowman (News)" <> wrote in message

    >> > I got one for an old Toshiba laptop off Ebay. A lot cheaper than a
    >> > Toshiba one and is OK.
    >> >

    >> And the company was ? :)

    > smart_parts_uk
    > Boris Stavenko
    > London
    > SW6 1QA
    >
    > So there. ;-)

    I bought one from them. It waa faulty. In a strange reversal of most posts
    of this nature, I complained, they apologised & sent me a perfectly good
    one so I'd recommend them.

    --
    Duncan Wood

    Duncan Wood, May 17, 2010
  6. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    In message <hspuck$9tv$-september.org>, at 16:16:09 on
    Sun, 16 May 2010, Jeff Strickland <> remarked:
    >Idon't know where to buy, but it occurs to me that this is the sort of thing
    >that eBay should have, and it would be a safe thing to buy from there.

    You still have to be careful - many are apparently shipped from China,
    and while maybe not outright counterfeights can use low-quality cells.
    I've also had batteries without the right "chip" in them, and therefore
    unrecognised by the laptop.
    --
    Roland Perry

    Roland Perry, May 17, 2010
  7. tony sayer

    pete Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2010 16:16:09 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > Idon't know where to buy, but it occurs to me that this is the sort of thing
    > that eBay should have, and it would be a safe thing to buy from there.

    Yes, there are lots of suppliers of laptop bateries on eBay. Some are even in the
    UK! I'd love to believe that all their wares were new, full spec. manufacturer's
    quality product and actually had the mA*Hr capacity they claim. And that they would
    last for as many recharge cycles as the "proper" ones at twice the price.

    But, having bought compatible batteries for cameras and phones from these sorts (not
    the specific ones mentioned here) of suppliers, which went flat in a fraction (a small
    fraction) of the time that the one which came with the device lasted, AND held less and
    less charge, for less and less time in the ensuing months. I can't help but think
    there are too many crooks, fakes and bogus claims out there.

    pete, May 17, 2010
  8. Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

    > If you bought off Ebay and paid by PayPal you'd easily get your money
    > back. Assuming such easy to determine faults from the off. Ebay is heavily
    > biased in favour of the buyer.

    Indeed it is - we were stiffed by a customer for several hundred:
    claiming non delivery of goods despite a cast iron paper trail and
    postal proof of delivery. And email discussions about the goods he
    claimed were never received..

    The Natural Philosopher, May 17, 2010
  9. Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Jon Green <> wrote:
    >> On 17/05/2010 07:46, pete wrote:
    >>> Yes, there are lots of suppliers of laptop bateries on eBay. Some are
    >>> even in the UK! I'd love to believe that all their wares were new,
    >>> full spec. manufacturer's quality product and actually had the mA*Hr
    >>> capacity they claim. And that they would last for as many recharge
    >>> cycles as the "proper" ones at twice the price.

    >> It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part
    >> and the third party replacement. I was looking at one for my laptop:
    >> 4400mAH as quoted. When I checked the original part, that was 5800mAH.
    >> No sale...

    > Surely that depends on the price? Two 4400mAH batteries for the cost of
    > one 5800mAH for example could be worth having if everything else is equal.

    And the capacity of a battery depends critically on how fast you drain
    it, and what endpoint voltage you let it go to.

    And cells are probably +-10% anyway.

    The Natural Philosopher, May 17, 2010
  10. tony sayer

    Duncan Wood Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2010 11:01:08 +0100, Jon Green <> wrote:

    > On 17/05/2010 10:33, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
    >> In article<>,
    >> Jon Green<> wrote:
    >>> It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part
    >>> and the third party replacement. I was looking at one for my laptop:
    >>> 4400mAH as quoted. When I checked the original part, that was 5800mAH.
    >>> No sale...

    >> Surely that depends on the price? Two 4400mAH batteries for the cost of
    >> one 5800mAH for example could be worth having if everything else is
    >> equal.

    > Well, I don't want to carry around two spare batteries rather than one,
    > I don't want my laptop to run out of juice early, and the fact that the
    > "replacement" part has a markedly lower capacity speaks volumes of the
    > quality of the cells it contains. I value my laptop enough that I don't
    > want to fire an extinguisher at it!
    >
    > Jon

    If you're buying cheap ones then that's less likely with the lower
    capacity ones.
    --
    Duncan Wood

    Duncan Wood, May 17, 2010
  11. tony sayer

    Baron Guest

    Jon Green Inscribed thus:

    > On 17/05/2010 07:46, pete wrote:
    >> Yes, there are lots of suppliers of laptop bateries on eBay. Some are
    >> even in the UK! I'd love to believe that all their wares were new,
    >> full spec. manufacturer's quality product and actually had the mA*Hr
    >> capacity they claim. And that they would last for as many recharge
    >> cycles as the "proper" ones at twice the price.

    > It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part
    > and the third party replacement. I was looking at one for my laptop:
    > 4400mAH as quoted. When I checked the original part, that was
    > 5800mAH.
    > No sale...
    >
    > Jon

    Manufacturers are reducing the capacity of the battery packs as a method
    of reducing costs. I've seen Acer laptops with three battery size
    options for the same machine ! Only machine cosmetic differences and
    price, separate them.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, May 17, 2010
  12. tony sayer

    Man at B&Q Guest

    On May 17, 11:01 am, Jon Green <> wrote:
    > On 17/05/2010 10:33, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
    >
    > > In article<>,
    > >     Jon Green<>  wrote:
    > >> It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part
    > >> and the third party replacement.  I was looking at one for my laptop:
    > >> 4400mAH as quoted.  When I checked the original part, that was 5800mAH.
    > >>    No sale...

    > > Surely that depends on the price? Two 4400mAH batteries for the cost of
    > > one 5800mAH for example could be worth having if everything else is equal.

    > Well, I don't want to carry around two spare batteries rather than one,
    > I don't want my laptop to run out of juice early, and the fact that the
    > "replacement" part has a markedly lower capacity speaks volumes of the
    > quality of the cells it contains.  I value my laptop enough that I don't
    > want to fire an extinguisher at it!

    Some laptop manufactureres have a rabge of batteries of different
    capacity. It may well be that 4400mAH is a kosher replacement for the
    bottom of the range and just doesn't suit you.

    MBQ

    Man at B&Q, May 17, 2010
  13. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    In message <>, at 10:28:24 on Mon, 17 May
    2010, "Dave Plowman (News)" <> remarked:
    >> You still have to be careful - many are apparently shipped from China,
    >> and while maybe not outright counterfeights can use low-quality cells.
    >> I've also had batteries without the right "chip" in them, and therefore
    >> unrecognised by the laptop.

    >That's why it's worth buying off Ebay and paying by PayPal. You'll get an
    >easy refund if you have problems. But not some months down the line.

    If shipping the offending item back to China is your idea of "easy", I'd
    hate to see something difficult. The PayPal refund will not apply if the
    cells turn out to be short-lived or low-capacity, rather than completely
    broken.
    --
    Roland Perry

    Roland Perry, May 17, 2010
  14. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    In message <>, at 23:25:08 on Mon, 17 May
    2010, "Dave Plowman (News)" <> remarked:
    >> If shipping the offending item back to China is your idea of "easy", I'd
    >> hate to see something difficult.

    >Who said anything about shipping back to China? You simply demand a refund
    >from Paypal.

    It's not as automatic as you appear to think.

    >> The PayPal refund will not apply if
    >> the cells turn out to be short-lived or low-capacity, rather than
    >> completely broken.

    >If they are low capacity, you'll find that out within the period.

    You have 45 days from payment, depends on how slow that slow boat from
    China is.
    --
    Roland Perry

    Roland Perry, May 18, 2010
  15. tony sayer

    pete Guest

    On Tue, 18 May 2010 05:59:51 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
    > In message <>, at 23:25:08 on Mon, 17 May
    > 2010, "Dave Plowman (News)" <> remarked:
    >>> If shipping the offending item back to China is your idea of "easy", I'd
    >>> hate to see something difficult.

    >>Who said anything about shipping back to China? You simply demand a refund
    >>from Paypal.

    > It's not as automatic as you appear to think.
    >
    >>> The PayPal refund will not apply if
    >>> the cells turn out to be short-lived or low-capacity, rather than
    >>> completely broken.

    >>If they are low capacity, you'll find that out within the period.

    > You have 45 days from payment, depends on how slow that slow boat from
    > China is.

    TBF, I've found stuff from China usually arrives in about a week, sometimes
    a little longer - sometimes quicker than stuff from UK sellers who can't
    be arsed to go to the post office!

    However, even if you do manage to get a refund, that still leaves you
    without a battery and you won't get back any of the charges the courier
    or postal service makes, apropos VAT, duty and "handling" - if you get
    charged for these.

    pete, May 18, 2010
  16. tony sayer

    Chris Shore Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message

    > As above we need a replacement battery for our ACER 5630 laptop. Anyone
    > can
    > recommend a supplier of either original equipment (Panasonic Battery
    > Li-ion
    > pack) or decent replacement copy ones?..

    I bought the most recent replacement for my son's Dell laptop from Amazon.
    Was
    very hard to find a better price without significant effort. Delivered
    quickly. Worked
    fine.

    Chris

    Chris Shore, May 18, 2010
  17. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    In message <hstod3$s78$>, at 10:58:59 on
    Tue, 18 May 2010, Chris Shore <> remarked:

    >I bought the most recent replacement for my son's Dell laptop from Amazon.

    Amazon themselves, or a trader in the Amazon marketplace?
    --
    Roland Perry

    Roland Perry, May 18, 2010
  18. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    In message <>, at 11:21:37 on Tue, 18 May
    2010, "Dave Plowman (News)" <> remarked:
    >> You have 45 days from payment, depends on how slow that slow boat from
    >> China is.

    >Try reading up on the Paypal conditions for a refund.

    I did; it says you have 45 days from making payment.
    --
    Roland Perry

    Roland Perry, May 18, 2010
  19. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    In message <>, at 13:22:28 on Tue, 18 May
    2010, "Dave Plowman (News)" <> remarked:

    >> >Try reading up on the Paypal conditions for a refund.

    >> I did; it says you have 45 days from making payment.

    >To start the complaints procedure. So how long a slow boat to China takes
    >is irrelevant.

    If the battery hasn't arrived yet, how can you complain that it's poor
    quality?
    --
    Roland Perry

    Roland Perry, May 18, 2010
  20. tony sayer

    Chris Shore Guest

    "Roland Perry" <> wrote in message
    > In message <hstod3$s78$>, at 10:58:59 on Tue,
    > 18 May 2010, Chris Shore <> remarked:
    >
    >>I bought the most recent replacement for my son's Dell laptop from Amazon.

    > Amazon themselves, or a trader in the Amazon marketplace?

    The receipt says it came from "Smart Parts UK".

    Chris

    Chris Shore, May 18, 2010