    do to get my laptop to ping the pc and be able to print remotely?
    --
    johnny-g

    =?Utf-8?B?am9obm55LWc=?=, Jan 23, 2005

  2. Johnny I couldn't wait to hit the reply button and tell you to just go back
    to an earlier restore point...then I read your last sentence. First of all,
    turn on System Restore. It will get you out of a lot of jams like this one.

    Secondly, as an IT Consultant who spends way too much time talking to tech
    support, I can tell you that when they blame it on the hardware they're
    ususally saying, "I can't solve this and need to get off the phone and talk
    to the next guy". I seriously doubt there is a hardware reason you can't
    connect with encryption.

    But the better question is, why are you encrpting? It's always a pain, it's
    erratic, and I have yet to hear of one case where someone sits outside a
    house and steals your information. I just hide the SSID. That way, everyone
    can see my wireless, but they can't hook on to it unless they guess that it's
    my son's middle name.

    Encryption is never as easy or reliable as the manuals tell you. If your
    hardware works without it, just go into your wireless router and hide the
    SSID.

    =?Utf-8?B?bXRyb3g=?=, Jan 23, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?am9obm55LWc=?=

    levik

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Compaq laptops

    I bought about 30 of these laptops about a 1 1/2 years ago for my company.
    They are starting to have problems with the wireless and also rebooting in a loop. Several won't even boot into safe mode. And of course, they are not out of warranty.

    levik, Sep 7, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?am9obm55LWc=?=

    kevin_techno

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Location:
    NY
    Use Windows printer sharing if you are running Microsoft Windows. Access the Control Panel and then "System" on both computers; make sure file- and printer-sharing is turned on, and that both computers have the same workgroup name. On the computer to which the printer is already connected, go to the Control Panel and select "Printers and Faxes." Select the printer, right-click on it and select "Properties." Select the "Sharing" tab, click on "Share this Printer" and give it a name. On the other computer, go to "Printers and Faxes" and select "Add a Printer." Choose "Network Printer or Printer attached to another computer." Choose the option to browse for a printer, and you should see the name of the printer you shared on the first computer. Follow the instructions in the wizard, and have the printer's driver CD handy to install the printer software on the second computer.

    Good luck
    Kevin

    kevin_techno, Aug 17, 2010