Laptop Advice

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Jun 2, 2007.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hi I'm in the UK and just wondered if anyone can recommend a good
    Laptop? It is for a young girl who is going to University to study.

    I'm not too up on Laptops but I am thinking that perhaps something
    with the following specs would be good for her needs:

    Dual Core CPU
    XP Pro (She may be connecting at Uni)
    1024MB
    120GB HD
    15.4" Screen? (Would this be too big for a laptop?)
    Integrated webcam
    Microsoft Office (student version with powerpoint and word etc)
    Laptop case
    Firewall (Windows or ZA?)
    Anti Virus/Malware software
    Laptop Insurance (essential for her as she loses things)
    External Mouse

    Printer - Cheap high speed inkjet (HP ?)
    External USB Drive 120GB
    Symantec Norton Ghost
    USB Flash Drive (transfer docs to and from Uni)

    I think that just about covers it. The top half she would probably
    need right from the start, but the bottom 4 items she could probably
    make do for now as they would bump up the cost a bit. We've got an old
    Canon printer she can make do with for now.

    Any advice on what Laptops I should be looking at that offer good
    value and are not too expensive would be appreciated.

    Also as far as Office 2003 is concerned. If you already have this on a
    home system that is a teacher/student license, does this cover you to
    also use it on a Laptop? I'm sure I heard that it covers you on upto
    three laptops but wanted to confirm that before we bought another
    copy/license of the software we already have.

    Cheers

    John
    John, Jun 2, 2007

  2. John

    Paul Guest

    John wrote:
    > Hi I'm in the UK and just wondered if anyone can recommend a good
    > Laptop? It is for a young girl who is going to University to study.
    >
    > I'm not too up on Laptops but I am thinking that perhaps something
    > with the following specs would be good for her needs:
    >
    > Dual Core CPU
    > XP Pro (She may be connecting at Uni)
    > 1024MB
    > 120GB HD
    > 15.4" Screen? (Would this be too big for a laptop?)
    > Integrated webcam
    > Microsoft Office (student version with powerpoint and word etc)
    > Laptop case
    > Firewall (Windows or ZA?)
    > Anti Virus/Malware software
    > Laptop Insurance (essential for her as she loses things)
    > External Mouse
    >
    > Printer - Cheap high speed inkjet (HP ?)
    > External USB Drive 120GB
    > Symantec Norton Ghost
    > USB Flash Drive (transfer docs to and from Uni)
    >
    > I think that just about covers it. The top half she would probably
    > need right from the start, but the bottom 4 items she could probably
    > make do for now as they would bump up the cost a bit. We've got an old
    > Canon printer she can make do with for now.
    >
    > Any advice on what Laptops I should be looking at that offer good
    > value and are not too expensive would be appreciated.
    >
    > Also as far as Office 2003 is concerned. If you already have this on a
    > home system that is a teacher/student license, does this cover you to
    > also use it on a Laptop? I'm sure I heard that it covers you on upto
    > three laptops but wanted to confirm that before we bought another
    > copy/license of the software we already have.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > John

    This institution is suggesting computers for all their students.
    The one page PDF shows examples of what they consider good
    enough to meet the requirements. It looks like the university
    has WIFI, and the laptops have both WIFI and ethernet. Even a
    modem is included (but would be a last resort). Note that they
    discuss battery life, which is another important attribute. The
    screen size is in the same ballpark that you are looking at.

    http://www.indstate.edu/laptop/faq.html
    http://www.indstate.edu/laptop/Specs_(H)Jan07.pdf

    As for usability, you should visit local computer stores, and
    see what you like. See what the display looks like on an expensive
    computer, and on a cheap one. Play with the keyboard and trackpad.
    A quiet keyboard will be less distracting for class. After you
    have previewed a few products in the stores, you may have a better
    idea what the current generation has to offer.

    For printing, you should consider what kind of paper volume is
    involved. Printers can be dirt cheap, but they get you on the
    expendables. It might turn out that a laser printer is cheaper
    to run, if she is going to crank out a decent page count per
    month. This is quoted from a web article:

    "Inkjets cost 8 cents to 15 cents per page for black and white,
    and (get this), 15 cents to 50 cents each for color pages.
    You'll also need expensive paper, for high-resolution color
    inkjet prints. On the other hand, laser printed documents cost
    less than 3 cents per page and produce high quality images, even
    on cheap copier paper. The initial cost of an inkjet is low, but
    the operating costs are high. The initial cost of a laser printer
    is higher, but the operating costs are very low. It doesn't take
    long for operating costs to outstrip initial purchase costs."

    I believe it is possible to find a cheap laser printer, but I don't
    know how long they last.

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Jun 3, 2007

  3. John

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Hi I'm in the UK and just wondered if anyone can recommend a good
    > Laptop? It is for a young girl who is going to University to study.
    >
    > I'm not too up on Laptops but I am thinking that perhaps something
    > with the following specs would be good for her needs:
    >
    > Dual Core CPU
    > XP Pro (She may be connecting at Uni)
    > 1024MB
    > 120GB HD
    > 15.4" Screen? (Would this be too big for a laptop?)
    > Integrated webcam
    > Microsoft Office (student version with powerpoint and word etc)
    > Laptop case
    > Firewall (Windows or ZA?)
    > Anti Virus/Malware software
    > Laptop Insurance (essential for her as she loses things)
    > External Mouse
    >
    > Printer - Cheap high speed inkjet (HP ?)
    > External USB Drive 120GB
    > Symantec Norton Ghost
    > USB Flash Drive (transfer docs to and from Uni)
    >
    > I think that just about covers it. The top half she would probably
    > need right from the start, but the bottom 4 items she could probably
    > make do for now as they would bump up the cost a bit. We've got an old
    > Canon printer she can make do with for now.
    >
    > Any advice on what Laptops I should be looking at that offer good
    > value and are not too expensive would be appreciated.
    >
    > Also as far as Office 2003 is concerned. If you already have this on a
    > home system that is a teacher/student license, does this cover you to
    > also use it on a Laptop? I'm sure I heard that it covers you on upto
    > three laptops but wanted to confirm that before we bought another
    > copy/license of the software we already have.
    >
    > Cheers

    I like the HP Entertainment dv series laptop. I have a dv9000 which I use
    for work and at home. Home for the Entertainment value it has along with its
    work value. It's one of the best investments I have made this year, with an
    extended 3 warrantee with Best Buy.
    Mr. Arnold, Jun 3, 2007
  4. John

    Guest

    On 2 Jun, 20:13, John <> wrote:
    > Hi I'm in the UK

    hahahahahha

    > and just wondered if anyone can recommend a good
    > Laptop?

    well, a good make

    a toshiba something.
    an ibm something

    (silent ultraportables with ulv processors are another matter. I don't
    think toshiba or ibm do them)

    > It is for a young girl who is going to University to study.

    paint it pink and get another girl to demonstrate how she can use it
    to press roses.

    there are no special laptops for young girls at universities. None of
    them are a low enough spec for all the nothing they'll do with it. Or
    a high enough spec for all the malware they'll slow it up with.

    > I'm not too up on Laptops

    well the specs look similar to desktops. You should be aware that all
    desktops nowadays are powerful enough, and have been for some years.
    So, laptops are also powerful enough.

    > but I am thinking that perhaps something
    > with the following specs would be good for her needs:

    you're thinking?

    hmm, let's think about this , would a GB of RAM be enough ?

    <snip>

    > Also as far as Office 2003 is concerned. If you already have this on a
    > home system that is a teacher/student license, does this cover you to
    > also use it on a Laptop? I'm sure I heard that it covers you on upto
    > three laptops but wanted to confirm that before we bought another
    > copy/license of the software we already have.

    She may be the only student with a license for her software.
    , Jun 11, 2007