    time/date, let alone try to modify any system files.

    TIA,
    Ty Addison
    Lisa Addison, Jul 17, 2007

  2. Lisa Addison

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:20:58 -0400, "Lisa Addison"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a laptop, which I set an admin password for sometime ago. I have
    >since forgotten it. I cannot download ANYTHING, or print anything from this
    >laptop to a different printer than what was set when I set the password. Can
    >anyone tell me how I can reset/clear the admin passowrd? Do I need to take
    >out the CMOS battery? Any legit ideas are welcomed. I can't even set the
    >time/date, let alone try to modify any system files.

    Assuming this is Windows XP...

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=reset password windows xp&btnG=Google Search

    Replace XP with 2000, NT, etc.
    Evan Platt, Jul 17, 2007

  3. Lisa Addison wrote:
    > I have a laptop, which I set an admin password for sometime ago. I
    > have since forgotten it. I cannot download ANYTHING, or print
    > anything from this laptop to a different printer than what was set
    > when I set the password. Can anyone tell me how I can reset/clear the
    > admin passowrd? Do I need to take out the CMOS battery? Any legit
    > ideas are welcomed. I can't even set the time/date, let alone try to
    > modify any system files.
    >

    > TIA,
    > Ty Addison

    Go to http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ . There you will find
    zip files that will let you create boot floppy disks or bootable CDs
    that will enable you to reset any system password on an NT class
    operating system (Win2000, XP and Vista are all NT class operating system).
    GreenieLeBrun, Jul 17, 2007
  4. Lisa Addison

    Plato Guest

    Lisa Addison wrote:

    > I have a laptop, which I set an admin password for sometime ago. I have
    > since forgotten it. I cannot download ANYTHING, or print anything from this
    > laptop to a different printer than what was set when I set the password. Can
    > anyone tell me how I can reset/clear the admin passowrd? Do I need to take
    > out the CMOS battery? Any legit ideas are welcomed. I can't even set the
    > time/date, let alone try to modify any system files.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm
    SECURITY
    Plato, Jul 17, 2007
  5. Hey Pratt the twat, why dont you go and %^*( yourself you slimey
    irresponsible GIT

    -----------------
    -----------------
    Cheekycharlie, Jul 17, 2007
  6. Lisa Addison

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:20:58 -0400, Lisa Addison wrote:

    >I have a laptop, which I set an admin password for sometime ago. I have

    This will be a password for the laptop or the operating system?

    >since forgotten it. I cannot download ANYTHING, or print anything from this
    >laptop to a different printer than what was set when I set the password. Can

    Ah, okay you mean the Administrator password for some version of MS
    WIndows. Was that guess right?

    >anyone tell me how I can reset/clear the admin passowrd? Do I need to take
    >out the CMOS battery? Any legit ideas are welcomed. I can't even set the

    Still not sure which password? Why would the operating system password
    for administrator be in the CMOS memory.

    >time/date, let alone try to modify any system files.

    As mentioned for NT to Vista,
    http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

    You could have also saved some time and tried looking at past posts, in
    24HSHD - http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/topics
    it's been mentioned before.

    Then again you login with the backup administrator account and sort your
    problem.

    >TIA,
    >Ty Addison

    Me
    why?, Jul 17, 2007
  7. Lisa Addison

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:03:42 GMT, why?

    >On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:20:58 -0400, Lisa Addison wrote:
    >
    >>I have a laptop, which I set an admin password for sometime ago. I have

    >This will be a password for the laptop or the operating system?
    >
    >>since forgotten it. I cannot download ANYTHING, or print anything from this
    >>laptop to a different printer than what was set when I set the password. Can

    >Ah, okay you mean the Administrator password for some version of MS
    >WIndows. Was that guess right?

    Dude, be careful, you'll piss Cheeky Charlie off.. lol.
    Evan Platt, Jul 17, 2007
  8. Lisa Addison

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:51:04 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

    >On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:03:42 GMT, why?
    >

    >>On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:20:58 -0400, Lisa Addison wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a laptop, which I set an admin password for sometime ago. I have

    >>This will be a password for the laptop or the operating system?
    >>
    >>>since forgotten it. I cannot download ANYTHING, or print anything from this
    >>>laptop to a different printer than what was set when I set the password. Can

    >>Ah, okay you mean the Administrator password for some version of MS
    >>WIndows. Was that guess right?

    >Dude, be careful, you'll piss Cheeky Charlie off.. lol.

    I was considering a reply to the 4000 posts / Level 10 tech to CC
    something like -

    Nothing except you have to make a point of mentioning it just to be
    daft.

    Haven't quite got the ending right yet.

    Me
    why?, Jul 17, 2007
  9. Lisa Addison

    Lisa Addison Guest

    > On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:20:58 -0400, Lisa Addison wrote:
    >
    > >I have a laptop, which I set an admin password for sometime ago. I have

    > This will be a password for the laptop or the operating system?
    >
    > >since forgotten it. I cannot download ANYTHING, or print anything from

    this
    > >laptop to a different printer than what was set when I set the password.

    Can

    > Ah, okay you mean the Administrator password for some version of MS
    > WIndows. Was that guess right?
    >
    > >anyone tell me how I can reset/clear the admin passowrd? Do I need to

    take
    > >out the CMOS battery? Any legit ideas are welcomed. I can't even set the

    > Still not sure which password? Why would the operating system password
    > for administrator be in the CMOS memory.
    >
    > >time/date, let alone try to modify any system files.

    > As mentioned for NT to Vista,
    > http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    >
    > You could have also saved some time and tried looking at past posts, in
    > 24HSHD - http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/topics
    > it's been mentioned before.
    >
    > Then again you login with the backup administrator account and sort your
    > problem.
    >

    > >TIA,
    > >Ty Addison
    > >

    > Me

    Thanks to all who have replied with useful information, and/or questions. I
    forgot to mention the OS and laptop model. It is an older (PIII) IBM
    Thinkpad running WinXP Pro.

    Thanks again,
    Ty Addison
    Lisa Addison, Jul 18, 2007