LapLink PC Mover (Home ed.)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Oct 11, 2009.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    Will be puchasing a new desktop home PC soon, with Windows 7.
    Present PC is running XP

    A bit early to ask how well it worked in transferring everything from Vista
    or XP to Windows7, but has anyone used this transfer software, LapLink PC
    Mover for, e.g., XP to Vista ?

    Does it work "well" ? Did it get "everything"; the full programs as well as
    the text files ?

    Any caveats to its use, or things that didn't go well with it ?

    I seem to remember a long time ago, not sure if it was for this particular
    system or not, that you could only use it 3 times.
    So, if you had troubles, and tried multiple times to effect the transfer,
    you only had 3 shots at it.

    Does this software incorporate anything like that ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Oct 11, 2009

  2. Robert11

    Mike Easter Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > Will be puchasing a new desktop home PC soon, with Windows 7.
    > Present PC is running XP

    Where is the part where you describe whether or not you have an existing
    LAN or any kind of a cable such as a crossover? That is, the method of
    transferring to a new computer depends as much on the existing hardware
    and connectivity as the software - for which you can use a lot of
    different things such as backup or synchronization programs.

    > A bit early to ask how well it worked in transferring everything from
    > Vista or XP to Windows7, but has anyone used this transfer software,
    > LapLink PC Mover for, e.g., XP to Vista ?

    If you have already decided that you are going to buy something, it
    seems that you only have left to decide which model you are going to
    buy - Home $40 or Pro $60 which comes with USB cable -- which brings us
    back around to the need for you to have a plan on how the hardware is
    going to connect.

    > I seem to remember a long time ago, not sure if it was for this
    > particular system or not, that you could only use it 3 times.
    > So, if you had troubles, and tried multiple times to effect the
    > transfer, you only had 3 shots at it.

    According to this page http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/indexselector.html
    Select the Edition that is Right for You

    .... there is some kind of licensing restriction on the Home which is not
    extant on the Pro.

    Laplink also recommends saving money for the XP to Win7 move with
    PCmover Windows 7 Upgrade Assistant
    http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/pcmoverupgradeassistant.html Only 14 of
    the 66 upgrade scenarios detailed by Microsoft are supported by Windows
    7 - and upgrading from XP to Windows 7 is not supported. - That's why we
    created the Upgrade Assistant edition of PCmover. It helps you upgrade
    quickly and easily from any version of Windows (version 2000 or later)
    to Windows 7.

    That one is priced at $15 until Oct 22.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 11, 2009

  3. Robert11

    PeeCee Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Will be puchasing a new desktop home PC soon, with Windows 7.
    > Present PC is running XP
    >
    > A bit early to ask how well it worked in transferring everything from
    > Vista or XP to Windows7, but has anyone used this transfer software,
    > LapLink PC Mover for, e.g., XP to Vista ?
    >
    > Does it work "well" ? Did it get "everything"; the full programs as well
    > as the text files ?
    >
    > Any caveats to its use, or things that didn't go well with it ?
    >
    > I seem to remember a long time ago, not sure if it was for this particular
    > system or not, that you could only use it 3 times.
    > So, if you had troubles, and tried multiple times to effect the transfer,
    > you only had 3 shots at it.
    >
    > Does this software incorporate anything like that ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Bob

    To quote from Laplinks own page:
    <quote>
    What You Should Know

    PCmover Upgrade Assistant should be used only as intended and as described
    in the User Guide. If you attempt to use this product for unintended
    purposes, your computer may become unstable or unusable. If you have any
    questions, please visit technical support.

    *Some programs on your old computer may not be compatible with a newer
    operating system.
    *Files with Digital Rights Management (DRM) such as music files and programs
    that require keys or serial numbers with a hardware fingerprint may require
    reactivation.
    *Some programs with unique copy protection may need to be reinstalled or
    reactivated with their original key or serial number.
    *Be sure to deactivate programs with online-managed activation (such as
    various Adobe products and iTunes) before upgrading your operating system.
    *Antivirus and Anti-Spyware programs may not be automatically installed on
    your new operating system
    *Specific hardware drivers will not be moved to your new operating system.
    *PCmover is not designed for migrations from newer operating systems to
    older operating systems. For example, we do not recommend attempting to
    migrate from a PC running *Windows 7 to a PC running Windows XP as doing so
    may render your system unstable.
    *Please note that PCmover Upgrade Assistant serial numbers are unique to
    PCmover Upgrade Assistant and will not work with other editions of PCmover.
    *Windows 7 upgrade DVD is not included.
    </quote>

    Some of them are common sense, but they are also covering their back so you
    can't get your money back when it doesn't copy something you expected it to.
    You could bet on reactivating Office for example.(Word, Excel etc)
    Personally I wouldn't waste the money.

    Changing over to a new PC is the ideal time to review, rationalise and
    repair your computer setup.
    There is no risk of loosing stuff as the old PC is left 'as is' untill the
    new one is all sorted.
    Laplink promote 'no need to find install disks' etc, I think this is doing
    you a disservice.
    Installing software makes you locate the install CD's and ensures you know
    where they are when a drive dies or a virus corrupts things.
    (and tells you if someone has 'borrwed' the CD's)
    And don't forget 'transfering' is going to reinfest you new PC with any
    glitches and oddities that have crept into your old system.

    I'm sure Mike would agree, a 'clean' install is far better in the end,
    giving you a system that starts of without problems.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Oct 12, 2009