    Every port of a switch represents a separate LAN.
    Every port of a router represents a separate LAN.

    , Sep 7, 2006

  2. Chad Mahoney Guest

    wrote:
    > Are these sentences true:
    >
    > Every port of a switch represents a separate LAN.
    > Every port of a router represents a separate LAN.

    I would say yhe second one is correct while the first one is not.

    Chad Mahoney, Sep 7, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >Are these sentences true:

    >Every port of a switch represents a separate LAN.
    >Every port of a router represents a separate LAN.

    No, there are too many definitions of 'switch' and 'router' for
    either to be true. Some devices which are marketted as "switch" can
    route, and some devices which are marketted as "routers" can switch.

    The statements also do not take into account the possibility of
    IEEE 802.1Q trunk ports, in which there might be several LANs on
    a single port.

    Walter Roberson, Sep 7, 2006
  4. Guest

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    > >Are these sentences true:

    > >Every port of a switch represents a separate LAN.
    > >Every port of a router represents a separate LAN.

    > No, there are too many definitions of 'switch' and 'router' for
    > either to be true. Some devices which are marketted as "switch" can
    > route, and some devices which are marketted as "routers" can switch.
    >
    > The statements also do not take into account the possibility of
    > IEEE 802.1Q trunk ports, in which there might be several LANs on
    > a single port.

    Just to add my bit of coal to the fire:)

    I don't think that either represents a seperate LAN.

    LAN - Local Area Network.

    I have worked on a building that contained 100 6500s
    and other stuff too. I considered it to be a single LAN.

    , Sep 7, 2006
  5. jw Guest

    Thats a question with "it depends" written all over it.
    I'd have to agreee with Walter above.

    jw, Sep 7, 2006
  6. Dom Guest

    On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 10:21 -0700, wrote:
    > Are these sentences true:

    LAN defined as a broadcast domain...

    > Every port of a switch represents a separate LAN.

    Rarely true, but entirely possible.

    > Every port of a router represents a separate LAN.

    Rarely false, but easily disproved.

    Dom, Sep 7, 2006