    have it in dutch. I thought perhaps there's some kind of language pack tool
    which converts the english to dutch, i already found local language packs,
    but these won't change my for example start-menu.

    =?Utf-8?B?RmxhcHBldGFw?=, Dec 7, 2005

  2. Available language packs
    CD 1: German, Japanese (448 MB ISO image
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/a/c/4acd4568-e929-44cd-96ef-54f24ad0565b/ARMMUIx1.iso

    CD 2: French, Spanish, Italian (554 MB ISO image
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/9/0/19079c17-80cd-401c-986d-24f6bd9bb43e/ARMMUIx2.iso

    CD 3: Korean, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional (561 MB ISO image
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/d/a/fdac56ee-928a-4d51-9d6d-c7c64e9f5bae/ARMMUIx3.iso

    CD 4: Swedish (161 MB ISO image
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/7/6/0769ef3b-1378-4f69-8bab-c3514ed74cdd/ARMMUIx4.iso

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Dec 7, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?RmxhcHBldGFw?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 02:33:03 -0800, Carlos
    <> wrote:

    Can you make a mix of the German, French, Italian and Swedish one?
    That mix resembles Dutch most ;-)

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Dec 7, 2005
  4. So do some nouns I hear on the golf course. :)

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 7, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?RmxhcHBldGFw?=

    Wim Zefat Guest

    You forgot the language closest related to Dutch: English ;-)

    In fact, if you simply talk Dutch with an English accent, an English
    speaker will understand about half of what you say. Of course, the other
    half will range from utter gibberish to hilarious misunderstandings.
    There's a fairly famous joke about a Dutch lady who tried that when, on
    vacation in England, someone asked her what she did for a living. This lady
    owned a dog-kennel and sold pedigreed dogs, so she tried to say 'I breed
    dogs'. The Dutch word for 'to breed' is 'fok' - pronounced somewhat like
    another f-word you know...

    Wim

    Wim Zefat, Dec 7, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?RmxhcHBldGFw?=

    Wim Zefat Guest

    As already mentioned here, yes, you can change the language in Windows XP
    x64 by installing a Multilingual User Interface (MUI) pack. Unfortunately,
    there's no Dutch MUI-pack for XP x64.

    Ive read in several places though that the MUI language packs for XP 64 are
    in fact identical to the ones for Windows Server 2003 x64 - and there is a
    Dutch pack for that. It might work on XP x64 as well. The problem there
    though is to get hold of the disc - I haven't managed that so far, so I
    haven't been able to try it.

    Wim

    Wim Zefat, Dec 7, 2005
  7. More or less like the mix you gotta do to fabricate an argentinian guy.
    Here goes the recipe:
    Take an italian, make him speak Spanish, teach him French manners and make
    him believe he is from England.
    Carlos (from Argentina)

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Dec 7, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?RmxhcHBldGFw?=

    Bo Persson Guest

    "Wim Zefat" <4all.nl> skrev i meddelandet
    > You forgot the language closest related to Dutch: English ;-)
    >
    > In fact, if you simply talk Dutch with an English accent, an English
    > speaker will understand about half of what you say.
    >Of course, the other
    > half will range from utter gibberish to hilarious misunderstandings.

    But the other half *really* does look like a combination of German and
    Swedish.

    I'm swedish. Having had English and German classes in school, I
    understand an amazing amount of Dutch, when in writing.

    When spoken, it is gibberish, of course.

    Bo Persson

    Bo Persson, Dec 7, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?RmxhcHBldGFw?=

    Wim Zefat Guest

    True - I've seen Swedish texts and noticed there were often enough
    recognizable words in there to at least figure out what the text was about
    (I'm Dutch, by the way). Hearing it is something else though.

    Not too surprising really, as English, Dutch, German, Swedish and serveral
    other languages really are closely related and have pretty much the same
    ancestry. They all have pretty much the same sentence structure and share a
    lot of words. If you speak one of these languages, it's fairly easy to
    learn a second one. If, like you, you speak three of them, the fourth one
    becomes *almost* recognizable - unlike unrelated languages, such as French
    or Italian.

    I live near the German border and even now the old local dialect is pretty
    much the same on this side of the border as it is on the other one. The
    dialects are eroding fast on both sides though. To the younger generation
    the dialect, as spoken by some of the really old people, has become just
    about unintelligable. I'm somewhere in between - I understand most of what
    they're saying, but there are still words and expressions in there that
    might as well be Swahili (or maybe Swedish ;-), as far as I'm concerned...

    Wim

    Wim Zefat, Dec 7, 2005
  10. My wife grew up in a Canadian community where Plattdeutch was a living
    dialect. It has died out there now.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 7, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?RmxhcHBldGFw?=

    Wim Zefat Guest

    Won't be long here either. As tiny as The Netherlands is, in the days of my
    grandfather the people from different parts of the country still spoke
    dialects that were often very different from one another. Now pretty much
    everyone speaks only ABN (Algemeen Beschaafd Nederlands - which translates
    pretty much as General, Civilised Dutch).

    By now there's really only one dialect left: Fries. And I hope nobody from
    that region reads this, as they'll chew my head off for calling it a
    dialect - they maintain that it's a separate language from Dutch and teach
    it in school alongside Dutch. And they might be right - at least nobody
    else understands a word of it...

    Wim

    Wim Zefat, Dec 7, 2005
  12. Hello,
    Well at least some of my relatives were from that region.

    All my grandparents or their parents were from Holland.
    My parents spoke Dutch, however outside of a few phrases, I don't
    understand it any longer.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: Wim Zefat <4all.nl>
    <Subject: Re: Language
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 00:54:55 +0100
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Dec 8, 2005
  13. Carlos, is it true that its easy for a French or Spanish person to interpret
    either language because both share the same conjugations?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 8, 2005
  14. Andre:
    It is not easy to interpret.
    It is easy to study because they are both latin based languages.
    But if you don't know anything about French, no spanish speaking native can
    understand anything.
    Portuguese and Spanish are very similar languages.
    Different, but similar.
    They can both understand between themselves speaking slowly and clearly.
    Argentinians and Brazilians use a mix of both languages to commuinicate
    between themselves.
    There is no standard about it but we call it "Portuñol" a wierd mix of
    Portugues and Español (spanish).
    As a matter of fact you only need to know Spanish in continental America
    from Mexico down to the south.
    Spanish and Italian are also latin based.
    There are many common words and a very basic level of dialogue can be
    developed between the two.
    Argentinian Spanish has taken many words on account of the huge immigration
    of italians during the XX century.
    What about Jamaica?
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Dec 9, 2005
  15. oi meu anjo...tudo bem?
    sua a postagem foi muito útil...
    --
    Tvasconcelos

    =?Utf-8?B?VGFtaXJlcyBTb2x0ZWlyYQ==?=, Jul 4, 2007