    I know that I can bracket the exposures, but what would be the general
    rule in addressing this question?

    Thanks!

    bhoenig, Oct 20, 2006

  2. bhoenig

    Rutger Guest

    "bhoenig<no-spam> @comcast.net>" <"bhoenig<no-spam> schreef in bericht
    news:...
    >I plan to spend one day this weekend in the Shenandoah Valley taking pix of
    >the fall foliage with my new Panasonic FZ7. I'm just learning to use full
    >manual mode and was wondering whether it's better to err towards
    >underexposing or err towards overexposing the shot? In other words, which
    >gives the better potential for later editing in PS Elements with the aim
    >being rich, vibrant colors?
    >
    > I know that I can bracket the exposures, but what would be the general
    > rule in addressing this question?

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml

    Rutger

    --
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zwaarddrager/sets

    Rutger, Oct 21, 2006

  3. bhoenig

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    bhoenig<no-spam> <"bhoenig<no-spam>"@comcast.net> wrote:

    > I plan to spend one day this weekend in the Shenandoah Valley taking pix
    > of the fall foliage with my new Panasonic FZ7. I'm just learning to use
    > full manual mode and was wondering whether it's better to err towards
    > underexposing or err towards overexposing the shot? In other words,
    > which gives the better potential for later editing in PS Elements with
    > the aim being rich, vibrant colors?
    >
    > I know that I can bracket the exposures, but what would be the general
    > rule in addressing this question?

    The best way to do it is to not over- or under-expose anything.

    If you're set on erring, however, you should err on the side of detail.
    If you want to capture detail in shadows, then you have to under-expose.
    If you want detail in highlights, then you have to over-expose. If you
    want both, you have to learn to control the light.

    Paul Mitchum, Oct 21, 2006
  4. bhoenig

    Scott W Guest

    Paul Mitchum wrote:
    > If you're set on erring, however, you should err on the side of

    detail.
    > If you want to capture detail in shadows, then you have to under-expose.
    > If you want detail in highlights, then you have to over-expose. If you
    > want both, you have to learn to control the light.

    I think you might have this backwards, if you want more detail in the
    shadows you need to over expose and if you want to not blow out the
    high lights and loose all detail you need expose less.

    Scott

    Scott W, Oct 21, 2006
  5. bhoenig

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Scott W <> wrote:

    > Paul Mitchum wrote:
    > > If you're set on erring, however, you should err on the side of
    > > detail. If you want to capture detail in shadows, then you have to
    > > under-expose. If you want detail in highlights, then you have to
    > > over-expose. If you want both, you have to learn to control the light.

    > I think you might have this backwards, if you want more detail in the
    > shadows you need to over expose and if you want to not blow out the
    > high lights and loose all detail you need expose less.

    Geez, you're right. Next you'll be telling me that bigger f/stop numbers
    mean smaller aperatures!

    Paul Mitchum, Oct 21, 2006
  6. bhoenig

    Marvin Guest

    bhoenig<no-spam> wrote:
    > I plan to spend one day this weekend in the Shenandoah Valley taking pix
    > of the fall foliage with my new Panasonic FZ7. I'm just learning to use
    > full manual mode and was wondering whether it's better to err towards
    > underexposing or err towards overexposing the shot? In other words,
    > which gives the better potential for later editing in PS Elements with
    > the aim being rich, vibrant colors?
    >
    > I know that I can bracket the exposures, but what would be the general
    > rule in addressing this question?
    >
    > Thanks!

    My Panasonic LZ3 has a Vivid setting under Pict. Adj. It is
    great for sunsets and leaf colors.

    Marvin, Oct 21, 2006