Landline to landline via web

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Willie, Sep 28, 2006.

  1. Willie

    Willie Guest

    I recently read about a website where I enter my landline phone number and
    the landline number I want to call. Then my landline phone rings. When I
    answer, the 2nd landline phone starts to ring. When they answer the call is
    free via the web.

    Does anyone know what this website is please?

    TIA
     
    Willie, Sep 28, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Willie

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-09-28, Willie <> wrote:

    > I recently read about a website where I enter my landline phone number and
    > the landline number I want to call. Then my landline phone rings. When I
    > answer, the 2nd landline phone starts to ring. When they answer the call is
    > free via the web.
    >
    > Does anyone know what this website is please?


    Maybe it is

    http://www.webcalldirect.com

    Brian.
     
    Brian, Sep 28, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Willie

    Nick Guest

    "Willie" <> wrote in message
    news:zWTSg.3589$...
    > I recently read about a website where I enter my landline phone number and
    > the landline number I want to call. Then my landline phone rings. When I
    > answer, the 2nd landline phone starts to ring. When they answer the call

    is
    > free via the web.
    >
    > Does anyone know what this website is please?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    >

    Many exist these days. I'd guess the one you heard
    of was Jahjah?
    http://www.jajah.com/
     
    Nick, Sep 28, 2006
    #3
  4. Thus spaketh Brian:
    > On 2006-09-28, Willie <> wrote:
    >
    >> I recently read about a website where I enter my landline phone
    >> number and the landline number I want to call. Then my landline
    >> phone rings. When I answer, the 2nd landline phone starts to ring.
    >> When they answer the call is free via the web.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what this website is please?

    >
    > Maybe it is
    >
    > http://www.webcalldirect.com
    >
    > Brian.


    Or also, once you have an account, VoIPStunt, VoIPCheap, SipDiscount or
    all the other VoIP services from this group.

    Unlike Webcalldirect with the above you do initially have to download
    some software to create the account, but once you have you can use the
    website or the software to enter the two numbers, using VoIPStunt etc
    this way you have the choice use your PC / VoIP adaptor to make your
    half of the call, or use your landline.

    As with Webcalldirect they call is 0p / 0c per minute but there is a 3p
    or 5c connection when using landline to landline unlike no connection
    using VoIP to landline.


    --
    DVD rental: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/dvd
    PAYG Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/payg
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
     
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Sep 28, 2006
    #4
  5. Willie

    Willie Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message
    news:ZuUSg.3617$...
    >
    > "Willie" <> wrote in message
    > news:zWTSg.3589$...
    >> I recently read about a website where I enter my landline phone number
    >> and
    >> the landline number I want to call. Then my landline phone rings. When I
    >> answer, the 2nd landline phone starts to ring. When they answer the call

    > is
    >> free via the web.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what this website is please?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >>

    > Many exist these days. I'd guess the one you heard
    > of was Jahjah?
    > http://www.jajah.com/
    >
    >

    Jajah was the one thanks. Thanks for other replies too.
     
    Willie, Sep 28, 2006
    #5
  6. Willie

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-09-28, {{{{{Welcome}}}}} <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

    > Thus spaketh Brian:
    >> Maybe it is
    >>
    >> http://www.webcalldirect.com
    >>
    >> Brian.

    >
    > Or also, once you have an account, VoIPStunt, VoIPCheap, SipDiscount or
    > all the other VoIP services from this group.


    There is also voxalot, with the added capability of having different
    providers for the two legs of the call.

    > Unlike Webcalldirect with the above you do initially have to download
    > some software to create the account, but once you have you can use the
    > website or the software to enter the two numbers, using VoIPStunt etc
    > this way you have the choice use your PC / VoIP adaptor to make your
    > half of the call, or use your landline.


    It is interesting that SipDiscount do offer registration via a web form.
    It would benefit users of non-Windows operating systems if they did it
    for all their products, although blind or visually impaired people would
    still have problems with the CAPTCHA.

    > As with Webcalldirect they call is 0p / 0c per minute but there is a 3p
    > or 5c connection when using landline to landline unlike no connection
    > using VoIP to landline.


    I've yet to find a serious use for it. Having to be in front of the
    computer to feed in the phone numbers is limiting but the possibility of
    using scripting to access the facility is an intriguing idea.

    Brian.
     
    Brian, Sep 28, 2006
    #6
  7. Thus spaketh Brian:
    > On 2006-09-28, {{{{{Welcome}}}}} <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Thus spaketh Brian:
    >>> Maybe it is
    >>>
    >>> http://www.webcalldirect.com
    >>>
    >>> Brian.

    >>
    >> Or also, once you have an account, VoIPStunt, VoIPCheap, SipDiscount
    >> or all the other VoIP services from this group.

    >
    > There is also voxalot, with the added capability of having different
    > providers for the two legs of the call.
    >
    >> Unlike Webcalldirect with the above you do initially have to download
    >> some software to create the account, but once you have you can use
    >> the website or the software to enter the two numbers, using
    >> VoIPStunt etc this way you have the choice use your PC / VoIP
    >> adaptor to make your half of the call, or use your landline.

    >
    > It is interesting that SipDiscount do offer registration via a web
    > form.
    > It would benefit users of non-Windows operating systems if they did it
    > for all their products, although blind or visually impaired people
    > would still have problems with the CAPTCHA.
    >
    >> As with Webcalldirect they call is 0p / 0c per minute but there is a
    >> 3p or 5c connection when using landline to landline unlike no
    >> connection using VoIP to landline.

    >
    > I've yet to find a serious use for it. Having to be in front of the
    > computer to feed in the phone numbers is limiting but the possibility
    > of using scripting to access the facility is an intriguing idea.
    >
    > Brian.


    I haven't used the call back service other than to test it, I have no
    landline and use VoIP, so there is no point, it's easier for me to pick
    up my phone that's conntected by way of an ATA.
     
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Sep 28, 2006
    #7
  8. Willie

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-09-28, {{{{{Welcome}}}}} <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

    > Thus spaketh Brian:
    >> I've yet to find a serious use for it. Having to be in front of the
    >> computer to feed in the phone numbers is limiting but the possibility
    >> of using scripting to access the facility is an intriguing idea.
    >>
    >> Brian.

    >
    > I haven't used the call back service other than to test it, I have no
    > landline and use VoIP, so there is no point, it's easier for me to pick
    > up my phone that's conntected by way of an ATA.


    It is when travelling without an ATA that it may come in useful. Given a
    computer and a phone line (VoIP or PSTN) you could access your account.

    Brian.
     
    Brian, Sep 28, 2006
    #8
  9. Willie

    andy Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > On 2006-09-28, {{{{{Welcome}}}}} <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > > Thus spaketh Brian:
    > >> I've yet to find a serious use for it. Having to be in front of the
    > >> computer to feed in the phone numbers is limiting but the possibility
    > >> of using scripting to access the facility is an intriguing idea.
    > >>
    > >> Brian.

    > >
    > > I haven't used the call back service other than to test it, I have no
    > > landline and use VoIP, so there is no point, it's easier for me to pick
    > > up my phone that's conntected by way of an ATA.

    >
    > It is when travelling without an ATA that it may come in useful. Given a
    > computer and a phone line (VoIP or PSTN) you could access your account.
    >
    > Brian.


    Every once in a while, I send an email to one of the Finarea companies
    suggesting they make a client program/method that can be used via
    wap/gprs. No reply of course ...

    It would mean mobile calls from 5p a minute, even when roaming, or use
    it to connect two landlines together.

    Voxalot and other callbacks can be used of course, but it seems to be
    problematic getting both legs of the call via the same provider in some
    cases with Voxalot
     
    andy, Oct 3, 2006
    #9
  10. Willie

    Loz Guest

    Nick wrote:

    >>
    >>

    > Many exist these days. I'd guess the one you heard
    > of was Jahjah?
    > http://www.jajah.com/
    >


    Can you only initiate calls from a US number?
     
    Loz, Oct 14, 2006
    #10
  11. Willie

    Jono Guest

    Loz explained on 14/10/2006 :
    > Nick wrote:
    >
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Many exist these days. I'd guess the one you heard
    >> of was Jahjah?
    >> http://www.jajah.com/
    >>

    >
    > Can you only initiate calls from a US number?


    No.
     
    Jono, Oct 14, 2006
    #11
  12. Willie

    Loz Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > Loz explained on 14/10/2006 :
    >> Nick wrote:
    >>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> Many exist these days. I'd guess the one you heard
    >>> of was Jahjah?
    >>> http://www.jajah.com/
    >>>

    >>
    >> Can you only initiate calls from a US number?

    >
    > No.
    >
    >


    I can't seem to change the country from the US
    http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3659/jahjahgc8.jpg

    Tried Internet Explorer as well - same thing.
     
    Loz, Oct 14, 2006
    #12
  13. Willie

    Jono Guest

    on 14/10/2006, Loz supposed :
    > Jono wrote:
    >> Loz explained on 14/10/2006 :
    >>> Nick wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>> Many exist these days. I'd guess the one you heard
    >>>> of was Jahjah?
    >>>> http://www.jajah.com/
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Can you only initiate calls from a US number?

    >>
    >> No.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > I can't seem to change the country from the US
    > http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3659/jahjahgc8.jpg
    >
    > Tried Internet Explorer as well - same thing.


    That's because you're using AOL - with a US IP address allocation.

    <http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=172.159.98.57>

    Try a UK proxy?

    Incidentally, I cannot change my location from UK.......afterall, if
    I'm in the UK, why would I want to..?
     
    Jono, Oct 14, 2006
    #13
  14. Willie

    Loz Guest

    Loz wrote:
    > Jono wrote:
    >> Loz explained on 14/10/2006 :
    >>> Nick wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>> Many exist these days. I'd guess the one you heard
    >>>> of was Jahjah?
    >>>> http://www.jajah.com/
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Can you only initiate calls from a US number?

    >>
    >> No.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > I can't seem to change the country from the US
    > http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3659/jahjahgc8.jpg
    >
    > Tried Internet Explorer as well - same thing.
    >



    To update to this, I thought it could theoretically be because of my ISP
    (AOL)

    However I have gone through a UK based web cache after clearing cookies
    and it's the same thing.

    Strange! Any ideas?
     
    Loz, Oct 14, 2006
    #14
  15. Willie

    Loz Guest

    Jono wrote:

    > That's because you're using AOL - with a US IP address allocation.
    >
    > <http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=172.159.98.57>
    >
    > Try a UK proxy?
    >
    > Incidentally, I cannot change my location from UK.......afterall, if I'm
    > in the UK, why would I want to..?
    >
    >



    Looks like we had the same idea there. I tried the UK proxy idea and it
    didn't work. On jahjah.com (after logging out)

    I assume that page before logging in is just to try the service? Does
    that allow you to originate from the UK?
     
    Loz, Oct 14, 2006
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. John A.
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    960
    John A.
    Jul 4, 2004
  2. Alex Vinokur
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,855
    Kath Adams
    Jun 18, 2004
  3. jt
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    5,046
    Inco Warren
    Jan 30, 2005
  4. ChrisR
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,139
    Ivor Jones
    Apr 26, 2005
  5. Ian Roberts
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    3,532
Loading...

Share This Page