    computers. One has Windows 7 OS and the other Snow Leopard OS. Is it
    true that I cannot do that. Hear I could have done it with older
    operating systems on both machines but not with the newest ones.
    Frank Thompson, Apr 7, 2010

  2. Frank Thompson

    Mike Easter Guest

    Frank Thompson wrote:
    > Have been told I cannot establish a home LAN containing my two
    > computers. One has Windows 7 OS and the other Snow Leopard OS. Is it
    > true that I cannot do that. Hear I could have done it with older
    > operating systems on both machines but not with the newest ones.

    Presumably you want your lan to fileshare.

    This forum discussion has a lot of useful information, especially coming
    from velocityg4 http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=776672
    Secure file sharing Windows 7 with Leopard/Snow Leopard

    It starts in 2009 Aug with him asking some questions after he has
    accomplished file sharing between win7 & leopard and snow leopard. By
    2009 Nov he is doing most of the helpful answering.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 7, 2010

  3. On 4/7/2010 5:22 PM, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 21:41:08 +1000, Andy<nospam@>wrote:
    >
    >> Meat wrote:

    >>> You're talking about Apple's OS 10.6 SMB server and kerberos
    >>> authentication error. I think there is a workaround but couldn't be
    >>> sure.

    >> I think the Samba signing issue was actually (fucking finally) *fixed*
    >> by Apple in 10.6, after causing problems for years.

    > Hmm I've not heard of file sharing issues in previous builds and have
    > relatives that use both mac and win on home lans. But they may not
    > share printers and such. Guess I'll have to talk to them, one is a Mac
    > loving, computer science college grad. I'm sure he can set me
    > straight.

    Do not know about Mac But myself using Windows 7 and having no problems
    using Lan.
    Keshav Sharma, Apr 7, 2010
  4. Frank Thompson

    Guest

    In article
    <>, Frank
    Thompson <> wrote:

    > Have been told I cannot establish a home LAN containing my two
    > computers. One has Windows 7 OS and the other Snow Leopard OS. Is it
    > true that I cannot do that. Hear I could have done it with older
    > operating systems on both machines but not with the newest ones.

    In addition to what everyone else has said:

    It used to be (almost 20 years ago now) that Timbuktu
    http://www.netopia.com/software/products/tb2/mac/
    had utilities for newtorking and mutual communication between Mac and PCs
    over a network. For example, it came with the stuff required to connect
    to a PC over a local network and run programs from the Mac on the PC via a
    similar setup to what is now called Remote Desktop, only allowing the Mac
    to be the remote PC rather than another PC.

    I've not had much reason to be involved with large networks of both types
    of computers for quite some years, but I would think that some poking
    around into their documentation for their latest version may yield some
    useful results on how to get the network part of things going - assuming
    of course their product is still able to operate in this fashion.

    --
    -Glennl
    Please note this e-mail address is a pit of spam, and most e-mail sent to this address are simply lost in the vast mess.
  5. Frank Thompson

    Frank Guest

    I will take many of your hints and try to see what I can do. Should
    I start with the Snow Leopard (v10.6.2) machine or the Windows 7
    machine?
    Frank, Apr 8, 2010
  6. Frank Thompson

    Mike Easter Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > I will take many of your hints and try to see what I can do. Should
    > I start with the Snow Leopard (v10.6.2) machine or the Windows 7
    > machine?

    If you (just) reply referencing your own OP and cite nothing, no one can
    tell what you are (now) talking about.

    You have not described any network topology whatsoever, except that
    there is an unknown type connectivity machine running Win7 and an
    unknown type connectivity machine running OS 10.6.2.

    Let there be something like a router (brand/modelno) and ethernet and/or
    wireless, laptop, desktop, or netbook, and some intentions such as file
    sharing, internet connectivity, printer sharing, game playing or
    something. Also name the v. of Win7.

    --
    Mike Easter
    24hshd only
    Mike Easter, Apr 8, 2010
  7. Frank wrote:
    > I will take many of your hints and try to see what I can do. Should
    > I start with the Snow Leopard (v10.6.2) machine or the Windows 7
    > machine?

    Until you explain what it is that you actually want to do it will be
    impossible to give you advice.

    The world is filled with LANs that contain a mix of OS X and Windows.
    There is nothing at all preventing OS X 10.6.2 and Windows 7 from being
    on the same LAN.

    There may be problems with particular kinds of set-ups, but I can't even
    begin to guess without more information.

    Cheers,

    -j

    --
    Jeffrey Goldberg http://goldmark.org/jeff/
    I rarely read HTML or poorly quoting posts
    Jeffrey Goldberg, Apr 8, 2010
  8. On Apr 8, 2:37 pm, Jeffrey Goldberg <> wrote:
    > Frank wrote:
    > > I will take many of your hints and try to see what I can do.   Should
    > > I start with the Snow Leopard (v10.6.2) machine or the Windows 7
    > > machine?

    > Until you explain what it is that you actually want to do it will be
    > impossible to give you advice.

    The two machines are use a wireless connection to the same router. I
    want to be able to open and work on files on either machine from
    either machine.
    Frank Thompson, Apr 9, 2010
  9. In article
    <>,
    Frank Thompson <> wrote:

    > On Apr 8, 2:37 pm, Jeffrey Goldberg <> wrote:
    > > Frank wrote:
    > > > I will take many of your hints and try to see what I can do.   Should
    > > > I start with the Snow Leopard (v10.6.2) machine or the Windows 7
    > > > machine?

    > > Until you explain what it is that you actually want to do it will be
    > > impossible to give you advice.

    > The two machines are use a wireless connection to the same router. I
    > want to be able to open and work on files on either machine from
    > either machine.

    That's really a function of what file-sharing facilities are used by
    Windows 7 and MacOS X. Apple uses Apple File Protocol natively. Unless
    Windows 7 does also, I would doubt that either would be able to talk
    together without some 3rd-party tool being installed.

    You can setup SAMBA on MacOS X to share a directory or the entire disk
    and Windows XP will see the share just fine. Don't know about Windows
    7. Read up on setting up Samba for more info.

    Michael Vilain, Apr 9, 2010
  10. Frank Thompson wrote:

    > The two machines are use a wireless connection to the same router. I
    > want to be able to open and work on files on either machine from
    > either machine.

    That file sharing should be simple. One of the machines will need to be
    set up to share files. I will describe what to do to share the files
    from the Mac (since I know that better).

    In System Preferences go to Sharing.

    Select File Sharing.

    Selection "Options"

    Check the box that says "Enable SMB sharing"

    (Note that in some documentation the SMB file serving protocol is
    referred to by the name "CIFS").

    Note that if you share from your Mac then your Mac will have to be on
    when those files are accessed. Likewise if you do things the other way
    round, the Windows machine will have to be on.

    A third option is to buy an external NAS (Network Attached Storage).
    These are boxes with disks that run various file sharing protocols
    (SMB/CIFS, FTP, NFS, AFS). AFS is best for Macs. SMB/CIFS is best for
    Windows. These have a network port and you could just plug the thing
    into your router.

    Cheers,

    -j

    Jeffrey Goldberg, Apr 9, 2010
  11. Michael Vilain wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > Frank Thompson <> wrote:

    >> The two machines are use a wireless connection to the same router. I
    >> want to be able to open and work on files on either machine from
    >> either machine.

    > That's really a function of what file-sharing facilities are used by
    > Windows 7 and MacOS X. Apple uses Apple File Protocol natively. Unless
    > Windows 7 does also, I would doubt that either would be able to talk
    > together without some 3rd-party tool being installed.

    Snow Leopard can do SMB/CIFS file sharing. Just enable it in Options in
    the File sharing preference pane.

    Jeffrey Goldberg, Apr 9, 2010