LAN, Switching and Routing: Cat 3524 switch better at streaming than4503, why?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Hoffa, Dec 12, 2007.

  1. Hoffa

    Hoffa Guest

    Hi all
    We have a phone recording equipment with some 20 PC clients streaming
    conversation recordings to a server. Everything is running TCP/IP and
    ethernet, nothing special there and I had all clients and the server
    connected to the same WS-X4548-GB-RJ45V line card in our L2 only 4503
    Sup II+TS.
    As the number of recordings increased I started to get reports of
    stuttering and unhearable recordings on the server. What I did was I
    removed all cabling from the clients and the server and stuck them in
    a separate 3524 10/100 switch and there has been no problem since.

    As far as I remember the 3524 had been on the shelf for about 2 years
    and has a default setup. I have a rough understanding of the 4503
    architecture and the multiplexing but I had no idea there was these
    sort of limitations. The amount of data sent isn't that large either,
    roughly 6mbit/sec is flowing into the server at any time.
    Anyone has an idea why a EURO 500 switch is better at streaming than a
    EURO 10.000 switch? I know this is a loose question but I need somewhere
    to start.

    Regards
    Fredrik

    Hoffa, Dec 12, 2007