    the board. Should I upgrade to a 10/100/1000/2000 LAN PCI card for
    better performance? The Road Runner techies say know, but I would
    prefer a guru opinion. Thanks.
    Scribner, Nov 4, 2007

  2. Scribner

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 13:17:12 -0800, Scribner <>
    wrote:

    >I just upgraded to Road Runner "Turbo." My computer has 10/100 LAN on
    >the board. Should I upgrade to a 10/100/1000/2000 LAN PCI card for
    >better performance? The Road Runner techies say know, but I would
    >prefer a guru opinion. Thanks.

    Do you mean "no"?

    Unless the Road Runner "Turbo" is faster than 100 mbps, which I
    guarantee you it isn't, there's no need.
    Evan Platt, Nov 4, 2007

  3. Scribner

    Brett Kline Guest

    Scribner wrote:
    > I just upgraded to Road Runner "Turbo." My computer has 10/100 LAN on
    > the board. Should I upgrade to a 10/100/1000/2000 LAN PCI card for
    > better performance? The Road Runner techies say know, but I would
    > prefer a guru opinion. Thanks.

    For residential service your current NIC is fine though it's always good to
    have a spare around for troubleshooting.
    Brett Kline, Nov 4, 2007
  4. Scribner

    nobody > Guest

    Scribner wrote:
    > I just upgraded to Road Runner "Turbo." My computer has 10/100 LAN on
    > the board. Should I upgrade to a 10/100/1000/2000 LAN PCI card for
    > better performance? The Road Runner techies say know, but I would
    > prefer a guru opinion. Thanks.

    IIRC, RR gives you 10mb normally, with the "Turbo" portion adding 3 to 5
    over that on bursts. Do the math. You'll never come close to tapping
    out a 10/100 NIC.
    nobody >, Nov 4, 2007
  5. Scribner

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I just upgraded to Road Runner "Turbo." My computer has 10/100 LAN on
    > the board. Should I upgrade to a 10/100/1000/2000 LAN PCI card for
    > better performance? The Road Runner techies say know, but I would
    > prefer a guru opinion. Thanks.

    RR Turbo is slower than your network connection, so you don't need
    anything faster.

    Most of the NAT Routers (mistakenly called firewalls) are 10 base anyway
    on the WAN port - and you should have to between your RR Ambit router
    and your PC for protection.

    --

    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    Fight exposing kids to porn, complain about sites like PCBUTTS 1.COM
    that create filth and put it on the web for any kid to see: Just take a
    look at some of the FILTH he's created and put on his website:
    http://forums.speedguide.net/archive/index.php/t-223485.html all exposed
    'exposed to kids'.
    Leythos, Nov 5, 2007
  6. Scribner

    JANA Guest

    If you are only going on the net, you will be restricted by the speed of
    your internet service. Unless you are on a T1 or T3 line with a high end T1
    or T3 router, anything after a standard 10T LAN network will not make much
    difference.

    Internally, most home networks, including a home type router are T100 LAN.
    For standard file transfers and standard home or small business use, T00 LAN
    is more than adequate. Anything past that, you are spending good money for
    nothing. Save your money, and invest it in to a good backup system, and a
    very high end monitor and display card if you want something exciting.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Nov 5, 2007
  7. Scribner

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 22:06:56 -0500, "JANA" <>
    wrote:

    >If you are only going on the net, you will be restricted by the speed of
    >your internet service. Unless you are on a T1 or T3 line with a high end T1
    >or T3 router, anything after a standard 10T LAN network will not make much
    >difference.

    10T?

    Christ, they don't make stand alone 10T NIC's anymore do they?

    And regardless, even with a T3, a 10/100 NIC would suffice.
    Evan Platt, Nov 5, 2007
  8. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 19:42:06 -0800, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 22:06:56 -0500, "JANA" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>If you are only going on the net, you will be restricted by the speed of
    >>your internet service. Unless you are on a T1 or T3 line with a high end T1
    >>or T3 router, anything after a standard 10T LAN network will not make much
    >>difference.

    >10T?
    >
    >Christ, they don't make stand alone 10T NIC's anymore do they?
    >
    >And regardless, even with a T3, a 10/100 NIC would suffice.

    Thanks everybody.

    And I do have a high end video card and monitor. The porn looks
    great. :).
    Scribner, Nov 5, 2007
  9. "Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >I just upgraded to Road Runner "Turbo." My computer has 10/100 LAN on
    > the board. Should I upgrade to a 10/100/1000/2000 LAN PCI card for
    > better performance? The Road Runner techies say know, but I would
    > prefer a guru opinion. Thanks.

    A guru opinion? Google the difference between LAN and WAN.
    Krispy Kreme Donut with SPRINKLES!!!, Nov 5, 2007
  10. Scribner

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 13:17:12 -0800, Scribner wrote:

    >I just upgraded to Road Runner "Turbo." My computer has 10/100 LAN on
    >the board. Should I upgrade to a 10/100/1000/2000 LAN PCI card for

    2000, do they offer fiber then?

    The product page says
    http://www.timewarnercable.com/nc/products/roadrunner/RoadRunnerTurbo.html
    8Mbps.

    >better performance? The Road Runner techies say know, but I would

    10Mbps LAN card will be an issue, may max out at 6Mbps of the advertised
    8.

    A 10/100 LAN card should connect to the cable modem at 100 if it's a new
    CM and will work just fine. So will a 10/100/1000 card, connects at 100.

    >prefer a guru opinion. Thanks.

    Me
    why?, Nov 5, 2007