    Maybe somebody in this group knows what I'm missing here. More
    importantly, maybe somebody knows a group I can tune in to where they
    discuss LANs. Thanks.
    dogbreath, Mar 22, 2006

  2. dogbreath

    Duane Arnold Guest

    dogbreath wrote:
    > I have several computers in a LAN, and they're able to access each
    > other, but for some reason only one or two of them actually show up in
    > "My Network Places". I can access all of them from any computer, by
    > typing in the entire path manually (like, \\Agate\C\..., etc.), but
    > they don't want to show up in "My Network Places". I'm sure it's just
    > a cockpit error on my part. These are running XP (SP2), but one is on
    > Win 95. It doesn't seem to matter who's running what -- they find
    > each other or not, as they please.
    >
    > Maybe somebody in this group knows what I'm missing here. More
    > importantly, maybe somebody knows a group I can tune in to where they
    > discuss LANs. Thanks.

    How many PC's are you talking about on the LAN? It might be a concurrent
    connection usage issue on a P2P LAN network, which could be happening.

    The limit is 5 concurrent connections for XP HE of computers, other
    networking devices and networking applications/programs that can be
    connected networking wise on any given machine simultaneously or
    concurrently.

    If a 6th attempt by another machine is made to the machine or the
    machine is trying to connect to some other networking device on the LAN
    by the machine that has 5 concurrent connections, that 6th one is not
    going to happen. On XP pro it's 10 concurrent connections.

    They are all looking/discovering each other on the LAN and have
    connections open to each other at one time or another.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Mar 22, 2006

  3. dogbreath

    dogbreath Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 06:16:31 GMT, Duane Arnold <>
    wrote:

    >dogbreath wrote:
    >> I have several computers in a LAN, and they're able to access each
    >> other, but for some reason only one or two of them actually show up in
    >> "My Network Places". I can access all of them from any computer, by
    >> typing in the entire path manually (like, \\Agate\C\..., etc.), but
    >> they don't want to show up in "My Network Places". I'm sure it's just
    >> a cockpit error on my part. These are running XP (SP2), but one is on
    >> Win 95. It doesn't seem to matter who's running what -- they find
    >> each other or not, as they please.
    >>
    >> Maybe somebody in this group knows what I'm missing here. More
    >> importantly, maybe somebody knows a group I can tune in to where they
    >> discuss LANs. Thanks.

    >How many PC's are you talking about on the LAN? It might be a concurrent
    >connection usage issue on a P2P LAN network, which could be happening.
    >
    >The limit is 5 concurrent connections for XP HE of computers, other
    >networking devices and networking applications/programs that can be
    >connected networking wise on any given machine simultaneously or
    >concurrently.
    >
    >If a 6th attempt by another machine is made to the machine or the
    >machine is trying to connect to some other networking device on the LAN
    >by the machine that has 5 concurrent connections, that 6th one is not
    >going to happen. On XP pro it's 10 concurrent connections.
    >
    >They are all looking/discovering each other on the LAN and have
    >connections open to each other at one time or another.
    >
    >Duane :)

    Thanks, Duane. I didn't know about a connections limit.

    There are 3 PCs running XP HE and one on Win95. Plus a wireless
    access point, but I only power that up when I want to use my notebook.
    The one on Win95 is also not usually powered up. I just keep that
    around because it has some apps that I don't have XP versions for.

    Hmmm. This here book Windows XP Inside Out says sometimes you have to
    wait 20 minutes or more for all the computers to show up in My Network
    Places. If you're in a hurry, it says, type its path in manually. How
    about that?

    Nothing like the fear of making an ass of yourself in a newsgroup to
    make you dig deeper for answers in existing resources.
    dogbreath, Mar 22, 2006
  4. dogbreath

    Brian Guest

    You could try a refresh in My network places with all the computers running
    on the LAN. I agree that it can take some time for each computer to show up
    in Network Places. If you do a refresh on each of the computers
    (view--refresh) they should all eventually show up there. If you can access
    them all from each other then your LAN is correctly configured, and they
    will eventually show up if you wait long enough
    Brian, Mar 26, 2006