  1. I have a wireless modem/router with ip address 10.1.1.1. I have three pc's
    connected in a wireless network. How do i find or set the ip addresses of the
    other pc's.

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VuIEcu?=, Jun 23, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?S2VuIEcu?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    are you using XP or Vista?

    for either, you can open a cmd prompt (need an elevated command
    prompt on vista)

    then, type in

    ipconfig /all [enter]

    that should show you the IP's

    are you looking to set up a static IP for the wireless connection?
    hard to tell what your goal is here.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jun 23, 2007

  3. Sorry, I'm using XP pro. I found the ip addresses by looking at everything I
    could find in the networking area. I'm a bit frustrated by being sent in
    circles when I get the message saying Windows can't modify the network
    connection. When I follow the instructions it never keeps the settings and
    the next time I try to look at the wireless connection I get the same
    message, but that's another problem.

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VuIEcu?=, Jun 23, 2007
  4. Hi
    You can download and run this free utility,
    http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/
    It is very useful in providing IP and shares all across the network.
    Otherwise,
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 23, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?S2VuIEcu?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    so you are all set on the IP addresses?

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 04:23:00 -0700, Ken G.
    <> wrote:

    >Sorry, I'm using XP pro. I found the ip addresses by looking at everything I
    >could find in the networking area. I'm a bit frustrated by being sent in
    >circles when I get the message saying Windows can't modify the network
    >connection. When I follow the instructions it never keeps the settings and
    >the next time I try to look at the wireless connection I get the same
    >message, but that's another problem.
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> are you using XP or Vista?
    >>
    >> for either, you can open a cmd prompt (need an elevated command
    >> prompt on vista)
    >>
    >> then, type in
    >>
    >> ipconfig /all [enter]
    >>
    >> that should show you the IP's
    >>
    >> are you looking to set up a static IP for the wireless connection?
    >> hard to tell what your goal is here.
    >>
    >> On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 23:47:00 -0700, Ken G.
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a wireless modem/router with ip address 10.1.1.1. I have three pc's
    >> >connected in a wireless network. How do i find or set the ip addresses of the
    >> >other pc's.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jun 23, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?S2VuIEcu?=

    Jim Guest

    "Ken G." <> wrote in message
    >I have a wireless modem/router with ip address 10.1.1.1. I have three pc's
    > connected in a wireless network. How do i find or set the ip addresses of
    > the
    > other pc's.

    The usual method is to enable the router to be a dhcp server and to enable
    the computers to get their addresses from a dhcp server.

    An alternative way is to disable dhcp service in the router and to create a
    common hosts file which contains all of the desired ip addresses. As
    10.x.x.x addresses are not routable, all you need to set is your local lan.
    The router could not have gotten that address from your isp.

    The router takes care of connecting the lan to the isp service.

    Jim

    Jim, Jun 23, 2007
  7. Yes thanks Barb. Now I just have to get around the "windows can't configure
    this network" message. Also the router has created a wep key but the wireless
    wizard creates a different key. This is all very confusing.

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VuIEcu?=, Jun 24, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?S2VuIEcu?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    what router do you have? don't use WEP, it isn't safe. use WPA2 or
    WPA at a minimum. also, do you have the manufacturers utility for
    wireless cards configuring settings or are you using windows native
    tools?

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:03:00 -0700, Ken G.
    <> wrote:

    >Yes thanks Barb. Now I just have to get around the "windows can't configure
    >this network" message. Also the router has created a wep key but the wireless
    >wizard creates a different key. This is all very confusing.
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> so you are all set on the IP addresses?
    >>
    >> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 04:23:00 -0700, Ken G.
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Sorry, I'm using XP pro. I found the ip addresses by looking at everything I
    >> >could find in the networking area. I'm a bit frustrated by being sent in
    >> >circles when I get the message saying Windows can't modify the network
    >> >connection. When I follow the instructions it never keeps the settings and
    >> >the next time I try to look at the wireless connection I get the same
    >> >message, but that's another problem.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jun 24, 2007
  9. Thanks Barb,

    Its a Belkin 4 port VOIP router that was set up by my ISP. Two PC's are
    using Billion USB wireless adapters and the laptop has built in wireless.

    I was trying to use windows to configure the lot. I'm not too concerned that
    I can't get it fully operational. I really only need the main PC (XP Pro) and
    the laptop (WMCE) networked. The third PC is running W98. The whole set up
    was working perfectly 2 days ago and then suddenly went pear-shaped. The main
    PC & Laptop are now networked, but the W98 machine can see the other two if I
    use the "Find Computer" function but can't see them in the network.

    I only used WEP as I thought it would be easier to set up, then when I had a
    bit more knowledge I'd go to WPA. I'm in a semi-rural area and I can never
    see any other wireless networks, so presumably no one can see mine, so I
    wasn't too worried about only using WEP.

    I haven't looked at the info the others who responded to my query have
    suggested I read, so that'll be next on the agenda, even though its working
    (sort of).

    Cheers,
    Ken.

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VuIEcu?=, Jun 24, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?S2VuIEcu?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    just remember, that while you may live in a semi rural area, you
    never know who is driving by in the middle of the night or any time
    else.

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 05:48:02 -0700, Ken G.
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks Barb,
    >
    >Its a Belkin 4 port VOIP router that was set up by my ISP. Two PC's are
    >using Billion USB wireless adapters and the laptop has built in wireless.
    >
    >I was trying to use windows to configure the lot. I'm not too concerned that
    >I can't get it fully operational. I really only need the main PC (XP Pro) and
    >the laptop (WMCE) networked. The third PC is running W98. The whole set up
    >was working perfectly 2 days ago and then suddenly went pear-shaped. The main
    >PC & Laptop are now networked, but the W98 machine can see the other two if I
    >use the "Find Computer" function but can't see them in the network.
    >
    >I only used WEP as I thought it would be easier to set up, then when I had a
    >bit more knowledge I'd go to WPA. I'm in a semi-rural area and I can never
    >see any other wireless networks, so presumably no one can see mine, so I
    >wasn't too worried about only using WEP.
    >
    >I haven't looked at the info the others who responded to my query have
    >suggested I read, so that'll be next on the agenda, even though its working
    >(sort of).
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Ken.
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> what router do you have? don't use WEP, it isn't safe. use WPA2 or
    >> WPA at a minimum. also, do you have the manufacturers utility for
    >> wireless cards configuring settings or are you using windows native
    >> tools?
    >>
    >> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:03:00 -0700, Ken G.
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Yes thanks Barb. Now I just have to get around the "windows can't configure
    >> >this network" message. Also the router has created a wep key but the wireless
    >> >wizard creates a different key. This is all very confusing.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jun 24, 2007
  11. Thanks Jack. I'll have a look at the utility.

    Ken.

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VuIEcu?=, Jun 25, 2007
  12. Thanks Jim. The router is a Belkin 4 port VOIP adsl modem/router and it was
    set up by my ISP before they sent it to me. It is set up as a dhcp server
    with the others obtaining their address from it. The 10.1.1.1 address was
    already set and the other computers are currently 10.1.1.3, 10.1.1.6, and
    10.1.1.7. They were probably 2,3, and 4 at some stage but with all the
    messing around I've been doing their addresses have changed.

    I really need to do a bit of reading on networking. Its not as simple as I
    thought it would be, particularly with a W98 machine thrown in there too. At
    one point it was working with a 4th machine running ME but that was on a open
    unprotected network. I did have problems getting that set up working too.

    Cheers, and thanks for the reply.
    Ken.

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VuIEcu?=, Jun 25, 2007
  13. =?Utf-8?B?S2VuIEcu?=

    Jim Guest

    "Ken G." <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Jim. The router is a Belkin 4 port VOIP adsl modem/router and it
    > was
    > set up by my ISP before they sent it to me. It is set up as a dhcp server
    > with the others obtaining their address from it. The 10.1.1.1 address was
    > already set and the other computers are currently 10.1.1.3, 10.1.1.6, and
    > 10.1.1.7. They were probably 2,3, and 4 at some stage but with all the
    > messing around I've been doing their addresses have changed.
    >
    > I really need to do a bit of reading on networking. Its not as simple as I
    > thought it would be, particularly with a W98 machine thrown in there too.
    > At
    > one point it was working with a 4th machine running ME but that was on a
    > open
    > unprotected network. I did have problems getting that set up working too.
    >
    > Cheers, and thanks for the reply.
    > Ken.

    It is usually suggested that you set the router to start assigning ip
    addresses at x.x.x.100. Sorry, I can't help you with the Belkin device.
    Skipping numbers is not a problem. Some routers try to keep assigning the
    same address to a given computer. That is just a matter
    of convenience.

    You are very correct that networking is not as easy as one might think. It
    does take a bit of doing to be able to connect seamlessly
    machines with very different architectures, but it can be (and has been)
    done.

    MVP Jack and Pchuck are the ones that I used; but I must caution you that I
    have been doing this sort of thing for a very long time. Thus all
    I need is a few pointers. You will probably find help at the site of other
    regular posters.

    Jim

    Jim, Jun 25, 2007