    cannot see the 'workgroup' sb-dc1 (used to access this server's program via
    the sb-dc1 workgroup path - the other 3 computers use the sb-dc1 'path') --
    HELP :) --- thanks, T.L.

    T.L., Jul 30, 2008

  2. First thing I can think of is to start up Windows, find your system CD (the
    one that came with the Motherboard/PC) and install the parts you are
    missing - if it is a VIA chipset, it is probably the VIA4INONE?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 30, 2008

  3. T.L.

    T.L. Guest

    hello Tony,

    Thanks for the reponse - but I could not find the VIA chipset on the Dell CD.

    Q - why is it that I can ping the server, AND get access to one of it's
    programs, but cannot 'see' nor ping the printers physically attached to the
    server, nor the other computers that are LANed to it ?

    thanks

    T.L.

    T.L., Aug 7, 2008
  4. T.L.

    R.B. Guest

    T.L. wrote:

    > Q - why is it that I can ping the server, AND get access to one of it's
    > programs, but cannot 'see' nor ping the printers physically attached to the
    > server, nor the other computers that are LANed to it ?

    Do you have a firewall? Check its settings (Windows firewall can be
    accessed through control panel, or through network connection properties).

    R.B., Aug 10, 2008
  5. T.L.

    T.L. Guest

    hello R.B.,

    YES I have already removed the firewall - I have a checklist of about 20
    things to do, and done all of them to no avail.

    I don't understand why I can ping the server, and not the printers ??

    AND, before I re-booted, the connection to the server was fast (1 gb), now
    it takes 30 seconds to access some programs, still thru the 1 GB LAN, and the
    icon in the toolbar says it is operating at 1GB.

    I had to make a 'path' directly to the server's IP address, cause I can't
    get access to the 'workgroup' path.

    Any other ideas would be appreciated.

    regards

    T.L.