LAN config and using VNC between Win98SE and XPPro. TIA

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by roadster3043, Nov 29, 2004.

  1. roadster3043

    roadster3043 Guest

    Greetings.

    I have two computers with two NICs each and I also have a 2Wire Home
    Portal 1800HW. I want to share files and control the WinXP PC with VNC
    from my Win98 PC using one NIC and the other NIC to connect to the
    internet. In other words, I want my LAN separated from the internet
    connection. I have searched google, but haven't found anything similar
    to what I want to do in a step by step method.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thank you.

    --
    Take care.

    roadster3043

    ICQ 154116780
    Yahoo intuxicated
    MSN jmfix at hotmail dot com
    AIM roadster3043

    roadster3043, Nov 29, 2004

  2. "roadster3043" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings.
    >
    > I have two computers with two NICs each and I also have a 2Wire Home
    > Portal 1800HW. I want to share files and control the WinXP PC with VNC
    > from my Win98 PC using one NIC and the other NIC to connect to the
    > internet. In other words, I want my LAN separated from the internet
    > connection. I have searched google, but haven't found anything similar
    > to what I want to do in a step by step method.

    Unusual setup desired, but.... your ASDL modem/router has a 4 port hub built
    in to it. Assuming that you want only Internet traffic to go across the
    1800HW, you will need to do one of the following:

    1) for your private LAN traffic, get another hub or switch
    2) bite the bullet and use the builtin hub on the 1800HW for your private
    LAN traffic
    3) use a crossover cable between the two PCs (this will suffice but you
    can't grow past this without getting a hub or switch)

    For all three options, I would assign your private non-Internet NICs with a
    totally separate IP address space from what your 1800 is using. I'm going to
    assume that your 1800 is using 192.168.x.x and NATing that. For your private
    NICs, use something like 10.0.0.1/24 and 10.0.0.2/24. That way all private
    LAN traffic won't be NATed since there is no route for that address block.

    Sadistic Emperor de la Cabala, Numero Uno, Nov 29, 2004

  3. roadster3043

    roadster3043 Guest

    "Sadistic Emperor de la Cabala, Numero Uno" <> wrote in

    > Unusual setup desired, but.... your ASDL modem/router has a 4 port
    > hub built in to it. Assuming that you want only Internet traffic
    > to go across the 1800HW, you will need to do one of the following:
    >
    > 1) for your private LAN traffic, get another hub or switch
    > 2) bite the bullet and use the builtin hub on the 1800HW for your
    > private LAN traffic
    > 3) use a crossover cable between the two PCs (this will suffice
    > but you can't grow past this without getting a hub or switch)
    >
    > For all three options, I would assign your private non-Internet
    > NICs with a totally separate IP address space from what your 1800
    > is using. I'm going to assume that your 1800 is using 192.168.x.x
    > and NATing that. For your private NICs, use something like
    > 10.0.0.1/24 and 10.0.0.2/24. That way all private LAN traffic
    > won't be NATed since there is no route for that address block.

    Thanks. I think I have an old dlink 604 hub around here somewhere.

    --
    Take care.

    roadster3043

    ICQ 154116780