    the matter.
    They say the digital divide between connected countries and laggards such as
    New Zealand is widening and therefore becoming a danger for business.

    XPD, Feb 2, 2006

  2. XPD

    jedmeister Guest

    "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I aint holding my breath....
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10366618
    >
    > New Zealand's woeful broadband uptake has local leaders of tech giants
    > Intel, IBM, Microsoft and Symantec urging the Government to take action on
    > the matter.
    > They say the digital divide between connected countries and laggards such
    > as New Zealand is widening and therefore becoming a danger for business.

    Isn't this what people were saying 7 years ago?

    jedmeister, Feb 2, 2006

  3. XPD

    joe_90 Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > I aint holding my breath....
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10366618
    >
    > New Zealand's woeful broadband uptake has local leaders of tech giants
    > Intel, IBM, Microsoft and Symantec urging the Government to take action on
    > the matter.
    > They say the digital divide between connected countries and laggards such as
    > New Zealand is widening and therefore becoming a danger for business.

    and

    "Telecom has put forward several arguments as to why New Zealand lags in
    OECD broadband uptake, saying uptake has been held back by the
    popularity of dial-up access."

    What a joke. That's like saying the sales of new cars is depressed
    because of the popularity of second hand Jap. imports.

    joe_90, Feb 3, 2006
  4. XPD

    Stu Fleming Guest

    jedmeister wrote:
    > "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message
    >
    >>I aint holding my breath....
    >>
    >>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10366618
    >>
    >>New Zealand's woeful broadband uptake has local leaders of tech giants
    >>Intel, IBM, Microsoft and Symantec urging the Government to take action on
    >>the matter.
    >>They say the digital divide between connected countries and laggards such
    >>as New Zealand is widening and therefore becoming a danger for business.
    >>

    > Isn't this what people were saying 7 years ago?

    They only just got the e-mail.

    Stu Fleming, Feb 3, 2006
  5. XPD

    Crash Guest

    joe_90 wrote:
    > XPD wrote:
    >
    >> I aint holding my breath....
    >>
    >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10366618
    >>
    >> New Zealand's woeful broadband uptake has local leaders of tech
    >> giants Intel, IBM, Microsoft and Symantec urging the Government to
    >> take action on the matter.
    >> They say the digital divide between connected countries and laggards
    >> such as New Zealand is widening and therefore becoming a danger for
    >> business.

    > and
    >
    > "Telecom has put forward several arguments as to why New Zealand lags in
    > OECD broadband uptake, saying uptake has been held back by the
    > popularity of dial-up access."
    >
    > What a joke. That's like saying the sales of new cars is depressed
    > because of the popularity of second hand Jap. imports.

    I agree. Apparently it id taking Telecom some time to work out that the reason
    why dial-up remains popular is because many users don't see the value in the
    higher price of the various faster-than-dial-up options.

    I would hazard a guess that 'broadband' uptake is highest where pricing is
    similar to dial-up or where dial-up is no longer available (if this is the case
    anywhere).

    Crash.

    Crash, Feb 4, 2006