    My PowerShot A70 never had a problem with this and I almost like using it
    better.
    Thanks

    02befree, Jul 8, 2006

  2. 02befree

    rhys sage Guest

    Check your settings. It could be the card. It could be the camera or it
    could be the settings.

    rhys sage, Jul 8, 2006

  3. 02befree

    y_p_w Guest

    02befree wrote:
    > I've Googled and found partial answers to this question.
    > I have a Canon PowerShot A530 using a 1GB SD Kingston card shooting at high
    > res. settings using the Auto setting most of the time.
    > The initial shutter lag is not a problem, it's fast enough for me. But,
    > after the picture is taken, the LCD goes blank for a couple of seconds and
    > makes it difficult to take another shot before my 2 year old loses her cute
    > pose. Do I need a faster type of memory card?
    > My PowerShot A70 never had a problem with this and I almost like using it
    > better.
    > Thanks

    It sounds like you've got the review display set to "OFF".
    The screen will go blank for about second rather than
    display the shot for 3+ seconds.

    I doubt it's the memory card speed.

    Just take the picture. I tried it on an A520 in auto mode
    w/o flash. It does have a lag. What you really need is
    burst mode, which isn't a possibility in auto mode.

    Try aperture mode (Av on the dial). On function, scroll
    down to the "box" symbol and select the item that looks
    like three boxes, which is burst mode. You'll be able
    to get off your next shot really quickly.

    y_p_w, Jul 8, 2006
  4. 02befree

    Guest

    02befree wrote:
    > I've Googled and found partial answers to this question.
    > I have a Canon PowerShot A530 using a 1GB SD Kingston card shooting at high
    > res. settings using the Auto setting most of the time.
    > The initial shutter lag is not a problem, it's fast enough for me. But,
    > after the picture is taken, the LCD goes blank for a couple of seconds and
    > makes it difficult to take another shot before my 2 year old loses her cute
    > pose. Do I need a faster type of memory card?
    > My PowerShot A70 never had a problem with this and I almost like using it
    > better.
    > Thanks

    Apart from the other replies, some cameras also blank the screen when
    under load, eg when the flash is recharging, and that will be worse if
    the batteries are low..

    , Jul 9, 2006
  5. 02befree

    Ron Hunter Guest

    02befree wrote:
    > I've Googled and found partial answers to this question.
    > I have a Canon PowerShot A530 using a 1GB SD Kingston card shooting at high
    > res. settings using the Auto setting most of the time.
    > The initial shutter lag is not a problem, it's fast enough for me. But,
    > after the picture is taken, the LCD goes blank for a couple of seconds and
    > makes it difficult to take another shot before my 2 year old loses her cute
    > pose. Do I need a faster type of memory card?
    > My PowerShot A70 never had a problem with this and I almost like using it
    > better.
    > Thanks

    That blanking period is when the camera is processing the picture
    internally. Some cameras have adequate internal ram, and processor
    speed, to take another picture, even when this is going on. Some don't.
    Also, some cameras have a 'burst mode' which will shoot several
    pictures with one shutter depression. Check your manual to see if your
    camera has either feature. BTW, that LCD is for review of your
    pictures, and for closeup mode, NOT for general picture-taking. You
    will find your batteries last a lot longer if you shut it off and use
    the viewfinder!

    Ron Hunter, Jul 9, 2006
  6. 02befree

    y_p_w Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > 02befree wrote:
    >
    >> I've Googled and found partial answers to this question.
    >> I have a Canon PowerShot A530 using a 1GB SD Kingston card shooting at
    >> high
    >> res. settings using the Auto setting most of the time.
    >> The initial shutter lag is not a problem, it's fast enough for me. But,
    >> after the picture is taken, the LCD goes blank for a couple of seconds
    >> and
    >> makes it difficult to take another shot before my 2 year old loses her
    >> cute
    >> pose. Do I need a faster type of memory card?
    >> My PowerShot A70 never had a problem with this and I almost like using it
    >> better.
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > That blanking period is when the camera is processing the picture
    > internally. Some cameras have adequate internal ram, and processor
    > speed, to take another picture, even when this is going on. Some don't.

    A Canon A530 probably doesn't really have that problem. In
    "single shot" mode, it slows down to try to "recompose" the
    next shot. The "processing" time of the previous shot is
    negligible. It's "blanking" because the OP has the review
    turned off. If the review was turned on, the last picture
    should be displayed. What's on (or not on) the screen has
    little to do with how fast the next picture can be taken.
    I set an A520 to 10 sec review. As long as I don't press
    the shutter, the previous image stays there. If I press
    the shutter, it stops the review and goes back into picture
    taking mode on the screen.

    > Also, some cameras have a 'burst mode' which will shoot several
    > pictures with one shutter depression. Check your manual to see if your
    > camera has either feature.

    I've used Canon cameras with burst mode, and it does more
    than allow multiple shots with one shutter press. It also
    enables quicker consecutive shots with multiple shutter
    presses. It will sacrifice "recomposition" by reusing as
    much of the first shot's settings as possible. Sometimes the
    bursted shots are slightly out of focus or slightly under-
    or overexposed, but you can get off that shot before the
    subject changes.

    > BTW, that LCD is for review of your
    > pictures, and for closeup mode, NOT for general picture-taking. You
    > will find your batteries last a lot longer if you shut it off and use
    > the viewfinder!

    This isn't true for every camera, especially those with
    electronic viewfinders. The rated shots on a single
    battery for something like a Canon PowerShot S3 IS is only
    marginally higher if the EVF is used. The A530 should
    take at least twice as many shots with the LCD turned
    off, although that means no digital zoom and no monitoring
    of the autofocus points (the little green squares).

    y_p_w, Jul 9, 2006