    Is it me, or are there much fewer Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lenses on Ebay than
    usual at the moment?

    Only 5 years old, but is it being replaced or something?

    David, Apr 27, 2006

  2. David

    Gizmo Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is it me, or are there much fewer Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lenses on Ebay than
    > usual at the moment?
    >
    > Only 5 years old, but is it being replaced or something?

    You're not the only one watching out for one ;o)
    There arent' many sellers selling the f4 version either ... unless you want
    to import one from the far east - no thanks !

    Gizmo, Apr 27, 2006

  3. "Gizmo" <> writes:

    > "David" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it me, or are there much fewer Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lenses on Ebay than
    >> usual at the moment?
    >>
    >> Only 5 years old, but is it being replaced or something?

    > You're not the only one watching out for one ;o)
    > There arent' many sellers selling the f4 version either ... unless you want
    > to import one from the far east - no thanks !

    I guess those lenses are so good that people want to keep them ;-)
    I'm sure not selling mine soon.

    --
    Måns Rullgård

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Apr 27, 2006
  4. Måns Rullgård wrote:

    > "Gizmo" <> writes:
    >
    >> "David" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is it me, or are there much fewer Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lenses on Ebay
    >>> than usual at the moment?
    >>>
    >>> Only 5 years old, but is it being replaced or something?

    >> You're not the only one watching out for one ;o)
    >> There arent' many sellers selling the f4 version either ... unless you
    >> want to import one from the far east - no thanks !

    > I guess those lenses are so good that people want to keep them ;-)
    > I'm sure not selling mine soon.

    Agree. If you first got a hand on one, you never let it go again... :)

    --
    Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
    http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/Foto/

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes, Apr 27, 2006
  5. David

    This old Bob Guest

    "Måns Rullgård" <> wrote in message
    > "Gizmo" <> writes:
    >
    >> "David" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is it me, or are there much fewer Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lenses on Ebay
    >>> than
    >>> usual at the moment?
    >>>
    >>> Only 5 years old, but is it being replaced or something?

    >> You're not the only one watching out for one ;o)
    >> There arent' many sellers selling the f4 version either ... unless you
    >> want
    >> to import one from the far east - no thanks !

    > I guess those lenses are so good that people want to keep them ;-)
    > I'm sure not selling mine soon.

    The best are always hardest to find. When I got my 2.8 IS I sold my f/4 for
    $530 on ebay with only front and rear caps and very scratched hood. No box,
    pouch, or anything else, and I was at least the second owner. For another
    $50 a guy could have bought it new. I see today BH has it for $545 after
    rebate. I'd like to own another one. Sometimes the 2.8 IS is too much to
    carry around all day - even when it is off the camera it weighs down your
    belt/bag/pack!

    This old Bob, Apr 27, 2006
  6. David

    This old Bob Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > Is it me, or are there much fewer Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lenses on Ebay than
    > usual at the moment?
    >
    > Only 5 years old, but is it being replaced or something?

    If it was being replaced you would see a lot on ebay, wouldn't you?

    You think that one is hard to find, try finding an EF 300mm f/2.8 non-IS for
    $2100. It took me a year.

    This old Bob, Apr 27, 2006
  7. David

    This old Bob Guest

    "Jørn Dahl-Stamnes" <> wrote in message
    > Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >
    >> "Gizmo" <> writes:
    >>
    >>> "David" <> wrote in message

    >>> You're not the only one watching out for one ;o)
    >>> There arent' many sellers selling the f4 version either ... unless you
    >>> want to import one from the far east - no thanks !

    >> I guess those lenses are so good that people want to keep them ;-)
    >> I'm sure not selling mine soon.

    > Agree. If you first got a hand on one, you never let it go again... :)

    Yeah, and if you are like me you bought it new from a local dealer at a
    non-discount price and also paid California tax, you are not going to
    discount it much if you do decide to sell.

    This old Bob, Apr 27, 2006
  8. Jørn Dahl-Stamnes <> writes:

    > Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >
    >> "Gizmo" <> writes:
    >>
    >>> "David" <> wrote in message

    >>> You're not the only one watching out for one ;o)
    >>> There arent' many sellers selling the f4 version either ... unless you
    >>> want to import one from the far east - no thanks !

    >> I guess those lenses are so good that people want to keep them ;-)
    >> I'm sure not selling mine soon.

    > Agree. If you first got a hand on one, you never let it go again... :)

    If they came out with an f/4 IS version, I'd consider selling the f/4
    to get that instead.

    --
    Måns Rullgård

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Apr 27, 2006
  9. "This old Bob" <> writes:

    > "Jørn Dahl-Stamnes" <> wrote in message
    >> Måns Rullgård wrote:

    >>> I guess those lenses are so good that people want to keep them ;-)
    >>> I'm sure not selling mine soon.

    >> Agree. If you first got a hand on one, you never let it go again... :)
    >>

    > Yeah, and if you are like me you bought it new from a local dealer at a
    > non-discount price and also paid California tax, you are not going to
    > discount it much if you do decide to sell.

    Stop complaining. You haven't seen the prices they charge over here
    in the UK, have you?

    --
    Måns Rullgård

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Apr 27, 2006
  10. David

    Frank ess Guest

    Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
    > Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >
    >> "Gizmo" <> writes:
    >>
    >>> "David" <> wrote in message

    >>> You're not the only one watching out for one ;o)
    >>> There arent' many sellers selling the f4 version either ... unless
    >>> you want to import one from the far east - no thanks !

    >> I guess those lenses are so good that people want to keep them ;-)
    >> I'm sure not selling mine soon.

    > Agree. If you first got a hand on one, you never let it go again...
    > :)

    It's true. I'm thinking about getting a 30D for mine. It deserves its
    own pet.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Apr 27, 2006
  11. David

    > "This old Bob" <> writes:
    >
    >> "Jørn Dahl-Stamnes" <> wrote in
    >> message

    >>> Agree. If you first got a hand on one, you never let it go again... :)
    >>>

    >> Yeah, and if you are like me you bought it new from a local dealer at a
    >> non-discount price and also paid California tax, you are not going to
    >> discount it much if you do decide to sell.

    > Stop complaining. You haven't seen the prices they charge over here
    > in the UK, have you?

    Um, Wow, I just did! $875 for the Canon 70-200 /f4 at Jessops. Yikes!

    This old Bob, Apr 27, 2006
  12. David

    Dave Guest

    The few used ones that have been posted for auction have been sold for
    nearly as much as a brand new one if you bought it directly from an
    authorized Canon dealer. Add in any rebates (back in Dec-Jan) and the
    $1,684.00 price I paid got a little lower.

    Dave, Apr 28, 2006
  13. David

    Paul J Gans Guest

    M?ns Rullg?rd <> wrote:
    >J?rn Dahl-Stamnes <> writes:

    >> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

    >>> I guess those lenses are so good that people want to keep them ;-)
    >>> I'm sure not selling mine soon.

    >> Agree. If you first got a hand on one, you never let it go again... :)

    >If they came out with an f/4 IS version, I'd consider selling the f/4
    >to get that instead.

    Yup. That seems like a natural. I wonder why Canon doesn't
    do it. The only reason I can think of is that it would likely
    destroy sales of the f/2.8 since many folks don't really need
    that extra stop -- especially with IS.

    ----- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Apr 28, 2006
  14. David

    Paul J Gans Guest

    M?ns Rullg?rd <> wrote:
    >"This old Bob" <> writes:

    >> "J?rn Dahl-Stamnes" <> wrote in message

    >>> Agree. If you first got a hand on one, you never let it go again... :)
    >>>

    >> Yeah, and if you are like me you bought it new from a local dealer at a
    >> non-discount price and also paid California tax, you are not going to
    >> discount it much if you do decide to sell.

    >Stop complaining. You haven't seen the prices they charge over here
    >in the UK, have you?

    I don't know. Haven't checked European prices. But if the
    price differential gets to be great enough, come to New York
    and buy one here. Currently about $1850 US at B&H (I've included
    the sales tax in the price. Base price is $1700 US.)

    ----- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Apr 28, 2006
  15. David

    Mark² Guest

    David wrote:
    > Is it me, or are there much fewer Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lenses on Ebay
    > than usual at the moment?
    >
    > Only 5 years old, but is it being replaced or something?

    One should look for scarcity at **retail stores** for signs of
    replacement...not used sources.

    A lack of *used* lenses (at least in the case of large production lenses)
    typically means that people who own the lens are not keen on giving it up.

    Of all the lenses I own, my 70-200 2.8 IS is the LAST one I'd give up.
    There is simply no other Canon lens mount offering that rivals it in its
    zoom range and abilities.

    -Mark²

    Mark², Apr 28, 2006
  16. David

    Mark² Guest

    This old Bob wrote:
    > "David" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it me, or are there much fewer Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lenses on Ebay
    >> than usual at the moment?
    >>
    >> Only 5 years old, but is it being replaced or something?

    > If it was being replaced you would see a lot on ebay, wouldn't you?
    >
    > You think that one is hard to find, try finding an EF 300mm f/2.8
    > non-IS for $2100. It took me a year.

    Curious... Why were you set on the *non* IS version vs. the IS?

    Price?

    Mark², Apr 28, 2006
  17. This old Bob wrote:

    > "Jørn Dahl-Stamnes" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> Måns Rullgård wrote:

    >>> I guess those lenses are so good that people want to keep them ;-)
    >>> I'm sure not selling mine soon.

    >> Agree. If you first got a hand on one, you never let it go again... :)
    >>

    > Yeah, and if you are like me you bought it new from a local dealer at a
    > non-discount price and also paid California tax, you are not going to
    > discount it much if you do decide to sell.

    Price is (almost) not an issue... if I *WANT* a lens i buy it! ;-)

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes, Apr 28, 2006
  18. Frank ess wrote:

    > Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
    >> Måns Rullgård wrote:

    >>> I guess those lenses are so good that people want to keep them ;-)
    >>> I'm sure not selling mine soon.

    >> Agree. If you first got a hand on one, you never let it go again...
    >> :)

    > It's true. I'm thinking about getting a 30D for mine. It deserves its
    > own pet.

    Already got a 30D for my 70-200 2.8 L IS USM... ;-)

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes, Apr 28, 2006
  19. David

    Andrew Guest

    That's class! ;-))

    Andrew, Apr 28, 2006
  20. David

    This old Bob Guest

    > This old Bob wrote:
    >> "David" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is it me, or are there much fewer Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lenses on Ebay
    >>> than usual at the moment?
    >>>
    >>> Only 5 years old, but is it being replaced or something?

    >> If it was being replaced you would see a lot on ebay, wouldn't you?
    >>
    >> You think that one is hard to find, try finding an EF 300mm f/2.8
    >> non-IS for $2100. It took me a year.

    > Curious... Why were you set on the *non* IS version vs. the IS?
    >
    > Price?

    Yes, it was price. Probably a dumb move because the non-IS is so darn heavy.
    At the time I couldn't justify the extra $1300 for IS version because I
    wasn't sure how good this lens was. Now that I've had it for nearly two
    years I never want to take it off my camera. Lighter and IS would be nice.

    This old Bob, Apr 28, 2006