Lack of ability to make up a wireless network WITHOUT an internet

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Dan171681, Feb 28, 2009.

  1. Dan171681

    Dan171681 Guest

    Lack of ability to make up a wireless network WITHOUT an internet connection.
    I used a dialup phone connection (no DSL) for years - always had trouble
    trying to find the 'correct' connection in the "Wizard" ( it doesn't exist
    !!!!).

    Now I have a usb wireless modem. For at least a year I used it and had my
    wireless internet (Not Linked!). If I wanted internet on a given computer I
    would have to move the wireless usb modem to that computer.

    I attempted to see if I could use my usb wireless in a wireless network
    capacity to see what happened.
    What happened is that now on one of the computers I have NO internet access
    because it thinks the usb wireless is my wireless network - hence (--" Both
    Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for selection ")
    is an error message I get. I cannot find my way back to getting my simple
    internet connection back!
    I reloaded the usb modem software.
    I've reinstalled IE.
    I've removed the Wireless router software.

    Still no effect!

    Thanks for your time and effort,

    Dan 171681
    Daniel Will Labs
    Dan171681, Feb 28, 2009

  2. HI
    USB Wireless Modem is Not a common Device, it might be that you are mistaken
    in the way you use it.
    Please post the name and model of the Device, and what Internet source is.
    If the device has also a regular Ethernet connection than "ditch" the USB
    and start to use the Ethernet.
    Regular Network configuration should look like this,
    http://www.ezlan.net/router.jpg
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 1, 2009

  3. Dan171681

    Lem Guest

    Dan171681 wrote:
    > Lack of ability to make up a wireless network WITHOUT an internet connection.
    > I used a dialup phone connection (no DSL) for years - always had trouble
    > trying to find the 'correct' connection in the "Wizard" ( it doesn't exist
    > !!!!).
    >
    > Now I have a usb wireless modem. For at least a year I used it and had my
    > wireless internet (Not Linked!). If I wanted internet on a given computer I
    > would have to move the wireless usb modem to that computer.
    >
    > I attempted to see if I could use my usb wireless in a wireless network
    > capacity to see what happened.
    > What happened is that now on one of the computers I have NO internet access
    > because it thinks the usb wireless is my wireless network - hence (--" Both
    > Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for selection ")
    > is an error message I get. I cannot find my way back to getting my simple
    > internet connection back!
    > I reloaded the usb modem software.
    > I've reinstalled IE.
    > I've removed the Wireless router software.
    >
    > Still no effect!
    >
    > Thanks for your time and effort,
    >
    > Dan 171681
    > Daniel Will Labs

    In addition to answering Jack's question, please also describe what
    "Wireless router software" you removed.

    Further, what do you do that results in that error message (and please
    repeat it verbatim, without paraphrasing)?

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Mar 2, 2009