    Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connections >
    Right click > Status NOT RESPONDING

    Any suggestions ?

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Nov 29, 2009

  2. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    EMB Guest

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > WinXP all Service packs
    > Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabite Ethernet Controller
    >
    > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connections >
    > Right click > Status NOT RESPONDING
    >
    > Any suggestions ?

    Incorrect drivers?

    EMB, Nov 29, 2009

  3. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    John Little Guest

    On Nov 29, 2:25 pm, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
    <> wrote:
    > WinXP all Service packs
    > Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabite Ethernet Controller
    >
    > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connections >
    > Right click > Status  NOT RESPONDING
    >
    > Any suggestions ?

    Mobo failure? Even, dodgy power supply, stressing Mobo? It happened
    to me, and an intermittent ethernet controller fault was the first
    symptom; if I'd checked out the power supply then I might have avoided
    a lot of trouble.

    Regards, John

    John Little, Nov 29, 2009
  4. In article <>,
    says...

    > WinXP all Service packs
    > Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabite Ethernet Controller
    >
    > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connections >
    > Right click > Status NOT RESPONDING
    >
    > Any suggestions ?

    f.w.i.w. the 'not responding' message is given erroneously by Windows XP
    at times, for instance when a program is trying to connect to a server
    on the 'net and the connection isn't making, I often see that mssge.

    Same if a program is searching for files and can't find them for
    whatever reason.

    1- check the device manager, and make sure that the network card doesn't
    show a yellow exclamation mark. I've recently had the pleasure of
    restoring a machine where an emailed virus had not only destroyed the
    network drivers, but also infected the \windows\system32\ndis.sys file
    needed to install new network drivers as well as it's backup.

    2- if device manager looks ok, maybe try a different network card, that
    is known to be working. If you can't install the drivers for _that_, and
    get error 35 (from memory) - goto 1.

    Might not be what's plaguing you, but I thought I'll mention it in case
    that's what your prolem is.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 29, 2009
  5. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 14:25:27 +1300, Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz
    wrote:

    > WinXP all Service packs
    > Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabite Ethernet Controller
    >
    > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connections > Right
    > click > Status NOT RESPONDING
    >
    > Any suggestions ?

    Have you tried rebooting your Microsoft Windows computer? That is usually the solution to most faults
    to do with Microsoft Windows.

    Carnations, Nov 29, 2009
  6. TKs for your contribition.

    re-booting does not solve nuisance

    no suggestion the MB is failng

    Device manager did not have yello Query mark

    Deleted controller in the Hardware manager
    deleted driver file
    re-installed did not solve nuisance

    Any other suggestions ?

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Nov 29, 2009
  7. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    impossible Guest

    "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > WinXP all Service packs
    > Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabite Ethernet Controller
    >
    > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connections >
    > Right click > Status NOT RESPONDING
    >
    > Any suggestions ?

    Check Event Viewer for relevant system errors.

    impossible, Nov 29, 2009
  8. In message <>,
    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:

    > Any other suggestions ?

    Reinstall.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 29, 2009
  9. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    EMB Guest

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > TKs for your contribition.
    >
    > re-booting does not solve nuisance
    >
    > no suggestion the MB is failng
    >
    > Device manager did not have yello Query mark
    >
    > Deleted controller in the Hardware manager
    > deleted driver file
    > re-installed did not solve nuisance
    >
    > Any other suggestions ?

    Try plugging it into a different switch port using a different cable.

    EMB, Nov 29, 2009
  10. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > WinXP all Service packs
    > Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabite Ethernet Controller
    >
    > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connections >
    > Right click > Status NOT RESPONDING
    >
    > Any suggestions ?

    Has it ever worked?

    Sailor Sam, Nov 29, 2009
  11. In article <hetcfl$hd1$>, ldo@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand says...

    > In message <>,
    > Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    >
    > > Any other suggestions ?

    > Reinstall.

    He's talking windows xp not windows 95.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 29, 2009
  12. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Richard Guest

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > WinXP all Service packs
    > Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabite Ethernet Controller
    >
    > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connections >
    > Right click > Status NOT RESPONDING
    >
    > Any suggestions ?

    I have had this happen in the past - not sure why or what fixed it, but
    I did try changing the nic drivers and doing all the stuff to fix a tcp
    stack problem (it was not getting any traffic thru on the lan, was fine
    on bluetooth to a mobile however)

    Richard, Nov 29, 2009
  13. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Carnations Guest

    On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 00:09:52 +1300, Peter Huebner wrote:

    >> > Any other suggestions ?

    >> Reinstall.

    > He's talking windows xp not windows 95.

    And how is that relevant...?

    Carnations, Nov 29, 2009
  14. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > TKs for your contribition.
    >
    > re-booting does not solve nuisance
    >
    > no suggestion the MB is failng
    >
    > Device manager did not have yello Query mark
    >
    > Deleted controller in the Hardware manager
    > deleted driver file
    > re-installed did not solve nuisance
    >
    > Any other suggestions ?

    Check it's not disabled (turned off) in the BIOS?

    Another thing you can try - to see if the (presumably onboard) NIC is
    working...
    power-cycle the PC. Don't just turn it off, pull the plug afterwards,
    for at least ten seconds (modern mobos stay in a power state even if the
    PC is turned off (at the PC)). So either pull the plug, or turn off at
    the wall, or on the back of the PC at the power suupply unit (some have
    a switch).

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Nov 29, 2009
  15. In article <-september.org>,
    says...

    > Check it's not disabled (turned off) in the BIOS?

    wouldn't show up in device manager if it was disabled

    > Another thing you can try - to see if the (presumably onboard) NIC is
    > working...
    > power-cycle the PC. Don't just turn it off, pull the plug afterwards,
    > for at least ten seconds (modern mobos stay in a power state even if the
    > PC is turned off (at the PC)). So either pull the plug, or turn off at
    > the wall, or on the back of the PC at the power suupply unit (some have
    > a switch).

    First thing I do when a computer goes into inexplicable spasms :) It's
    always worth trying this i.m.o. since with modern power supplies
    corrupted memory no longer gets cleared when you shut the machine down.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 30, 2009
  16. LAC Status Report Query [2]

    Despite several suggestions, all of which I tried, I'm still not able
    to get a response from the Status option when right clicking on the
    LAC.

    The current situaton between the three computers on domestic network:

    A can see B but B cannot see A

    A can see C but C cannot see A

    B and C can see each other

    B and C each display Status dialog

    A does not display a Staus dialog.

    Clearly the problem seems to be with the element(s) in Windows that
    display the Status, and there is some blockage in computer A stopping
    this connection.

    All the computers access the web without a problem.

    Any more thoughts?

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Dec 1, 2009
  17. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Carnations Guest

    Re: LAC Status Report Query [2]

    On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 16:33:21 +1300, Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz
    wrote:

    > Clearly the problem seems to be with the element(s) in Windows that
    > display the Status, and there is some blockage in computer A stopping
    > this connection.

    Have you reinstalled MS Windows completely from scratch on that computer?

    Carnations, Dec 1, 2009
  18. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    impossible Guest

    Re: LAC Status Report Query [2]

    "ConTheNations" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 16:33:21 +1300, Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Clearly the problem seems to be with the element(s) in Windows that
    >> display the Status, and there is some blockage in computer A stopping
    >> this connection.

    > Have you reinstalled MS Windows completely from scratch on that computer?

    Your needle's stuck again.

    impossible, Dec 2, 2009