Labyrinth DVD - Remastered?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dennis Kuhn, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. Dennis Kuhn

    Dennis Kuhn Guest

    I just saw that Labyrinth (David Bowie, Jennifer Connelly) has been
    re-released on DVD again. This time it's in a $45 box containing
    collectible art cards, a pamphlet, and one or two other paper-based
    bonuses. I know the DVD has had two or three released already,
    including a Superbit one.

    The disk bonus stuff looks exactly the same as the one I already own,
    but that's just based on memory. The new one says something like,
    "remastered in High Definition." Is this a legitimate new release of
    the movie? And if so, is it worth bothering with?

    My gut reaction was to treat it like the Boomstick edition of the Army
    of Darkness. I have no interest in paper-based bonuses like the
    artwork, or a color photo montage of the cast. It sure would've been
    nice to get a John Henson commentary when it was possible, or even a
    Bowie and/or Connelly commentary. Something like that would have made
    this a must-buy situation.

    Anyone else seen this and have any thoughts?

    Dennis

    Dennis Kuhn, Feb 25, 2004

  2. I still want to know why both the LABYRINTH and DARK CRYSTAL reissues STILL
    don't have commentaries

    Vlvetmorning98, Feb 25, 2004

  3. Dennis Kuhn

    Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:34:16 -0800, Derek Janssen <>
    wrote:

    >Vlvetmorning98 wrote:
    >
    >> I still want to know why both the LABYRINTH and DARK CRYSTAL reissues STILL
    >> don't have commentaries

    >Because Frank Oz is busy, and Jim Henson...isn't doing much at the moment.
    >
    >Derek Janssen

    He's dead Jim.

    , Feb 26, 2004
  4. Dennis Kuhn

    Jay Stewart Guest

    >Because Frank Oz is busy, and Jim Henson...isn't doing much at the moment.
    > >
    > >Derek Janssen
    > >

    > He's dead Jim.

    Sometimes I think I could cure a rainy day...

    Jay Stewart, Feb 26, 2004
  5. Dennis Kuhn wrote:
    > I just saw that Labyrinth (David Bowie, Jennifer Connelly) has been
    > re-released on DVD again. This time it's in a $45 box...
    >
    > Anyone else seen this and have any thoughts?

    Colin Jacobson has reviewed the new set at DVD Movie Guide:

    <http://www.dvdmg.com/labyrinthce.shtml>

    In a nutshell, he says that the video quality is about the same on all
    three editions (regular, SuperBit, CE box); that the 5.1-channel mix (found
    on the SB and CE versions) is better than the regular disc's 2.0-channel
    mix; and that the extras added on the CE (i.e., those not found on the
    regular disc) aren't really worth the high price ($49.95 list, $35 best
    price at DVD Price Search).

    Bottom line: since you've already got the regular disc with most of the
    same extras as the CE, you might be better off just buying the SuperBit
    disc for the 5.1-channel remix. Especially since you can get it for about
    $20 at several online retailers:

    <http://www.dvdpricesearch.com/cgi-bin/dvdcalc2?cmd=calc&tmpCart=22767>

    For comparison, Jacobson's reviews of the older discs:

    <http://www.dvdmg.com/labyrinth.shtml>
    <http://www.dvdmg.com/labyrinthsuperbit.shtml>

    --
    Douglas Bailey
    "Every shining bonnet makes me think of my back on it..."

    Douglas Bailey, Feb 26, 2004
  6. >
    >Because Frank Oz is busy, and Jim Henson...isn't doing much at the moment.
    >
    >Derek Janssen

    yeah, but surely they could've gotten the screenwriters or Brian Froud

    Vlvetmorning98, Feb 26, 2004

    Derek Janssen, Feb 26, 2004
  8. Dennis Kuhn

    Patrick Neve Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Douglas Bailey wrote:
    > Dennis Kuhn wrote:
    > > I just saw that Labyrinth (David Bowie, Jennifer Connelly) has been
    > > re-released on DVD again. This time it's in a $45 box...
    > >
    > > Anyone else seen this and have any thoughts?

    > Colin Jacobson has reviewed the new set at DVD Movie Guide:
    >
    > <http://www.dvdmg.com/labyrinthce.shtml>
    >
    > In a nutshell, he says that the video quality is about the same on all
    > three editions (regular, SuperBit, CE box); that the 5.1-channel mix (found
    > on the SB and CE versions) is better than the regular disc's 2.0-channel
    > mix; and that the extras added on the CE (i.e., those not found on the
    > regular disc) aren't really worth the high price ($49.95 list, $35 best
    > price at DVD Price Search).
    >
    > Bottom line: since you've already got the regular disc with most of the
    > same extras as the CE, you might be better off just buying the SuperBit
    > disc for the 5.1-channel remix. Especially since you can get it for about
    > $20 at several online retailers:

    In support of the audio on the regular version, I rented it once and I
    must admit it was one of the better Dolby surround mixes I've heard.
    Played through DPLII Music mode, the surround effects were very specific
    and discrete. I remember it being a more aggressive and engaging surround
    experience than most DD 5.1 discs.

    Patrick Neve, Feb 26, 2004
  9. Patrick Neve wrote:
    > Douglas Bailey wrote:

    >> Colin Jacobson has reviewed the new set at DVD Movie Guide:
    >> <http://www.dvdmg.com/labyrinthce.shtml>
    >>
    >> In a nutshell, he says... that the 5.1-channel mix (found on the SB and
    >> CE versions) is better than the regular disc's 2.0-channel mix...

    > In support of the audio on the regular version, I rented it once and I
    > must admit it was one of the better Dolby surround mixes I've heard.

    I own the regular disc (with the 2.0-channel mix) myself, and have no
    particular complaints with it on the audio front.

    I've never heard the newer 5.1-channel mix, so can't really compare the
    two. But I haven't felt any great need to pick up the SuperBit and try that
    mix, either.

    doug

    --
    "I've never done good things; I've never done bad things..."
    --David Bowie

    Douglas Bailey, Feb 26, 2004
  10. Dennis Kuhn

    Metlhd3138 Guest

    >> I still want to know why both the LABYRINTH and DARK CRYSTAL reissues STILL
    >> don't have commentaries

    >Because Frank Oz is busy, and Jim Henson...isn't doing much at the moment.

    Dont worry,,we'll get to hear commentaries when we go to that big $5.88 bin in
    the sky.

    Metlhd3138, Feb 26, 2004
  11. Metlhd3138 wrote:

    >>>I still want to know why both the LABYRINTH and DARK CRYSTAL reissues STILL
    >>>don't have commentaries

    >>Because Frank Oz is busy, and Jim Henson...isn't doing much at the moment.

    > Dont worry,,we'll get to hear commentaries when we go to that big $5.88 bin in
    > the sky.

    Actually, near the end, Jim took "Labyrinth"'s losses hard, and said he
    never understood why it had done so badly in the theaters--

    Which is sad, because...heck, most of us "Dark Crystal" fans could've
    told him, and then some--Ye gods, what an unholy mess!!! 0_0

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Feb 27, 2004
  12. Following-up my own post...

    Douglas Bailey wrote:
    > Dennis Kuhn wrote:
    >> I just saw that Labyrinth (David Bowie, Jennifer Connelly) has been
    >> re-released on DVD again. This time it's in a $45 box...
    >>
    >> Anyone else seen this and have any thoughts?

    > Colin Jacobson has reviewed the new set at DVD Movie Guide....In a
    > nutshell, he says that the video quality is about the same on all three
    > editions (regular, SuperBit, CE box)...

    In support of this opinion, check out also the video comparison at DVD
    Beaver between the original release and the SuperBit:

    <http://207.136.67.23/film/DVDCompare2/labyrinth.htm>

    I certainly can't see much difference in video quality between the two.

    doug

    --
    "Class A, class B -- is that the only chemistry between us?"
    --Suede

    Douglas Bailey, Feb 29, 2004
  13. Dennis Kuhn

    GMAN Guest

    In article <X%b%b.620088$ts4.452394@pd7tw3no>, "Jay Stewart" <> wrote:
    >>Because Frank Oz is busy, and Jim Henson...isn't doing much at the moment.
    >> >
    >> >Derek Janssen
    >> >

    >> He's dead Jim.

    >Sometimes I think I could cure a rainy day...

    Ah, the rainbow connection!!!!

    GMAN, Feb 29, 2004