    Mike

    Mike Christie
    mike [at] csquared [dot] com
    Mike Christie, Sep 10, 2007

  2. Mike Christie

    Shivananda Guest

    In article <>,
    Mike Christie <> wrote:

    > What I'd really like to do is have the image
    > printed as 25 x 16.6. Are there any labs that will do that?

    Any pro lab can print any size image you want. The 'problem' is that
    paper is sold in standard sized sheets and rolls. It really isn't a
    problem because a competent pro/digital lab will gladly print your image
    on a sheet of 18" x 24" paper (digital C-print). Like enlarging a 35mm
    negative you will end up with uneven borders, i.e. thicker on the long
    dimension and thinner on the shorter.

    Depending on what you want to do with the final print, either leave it
    standard sized to fit in a pre-made frame, or have the lab trim it to
    make the borders even and use a custom frame. I have been getting 6cm x
    6cm negatives printed on 11" x 14" paper for decades now & I love the
    end result.

    Baboo Color Labs, 37 West 20th St. NYC 212 807-1574 does a fantastic job
    with digital C-prints up to mural size. It would be worth a call since
    they have no problem filling mail-order jobs and they are absolute
    sticklers for technical excellence.

    Disclaimer: None. I generally frequent Duggal but that is because I
    don't shoot digital.

    Hope this helps,

    sivananda
    Shivananda, Sep 10, 2007

  3. Mike Christie

    tomm42 Guest

    On Sep 9, 7:11 pm, Mike Christie <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a lab that makes prints the size and aspect ratio
    > of the image from the D70, and not just the standard film camera
    > ratios, such as 5 x 7, 8 x 10, 16 x 20, etc.?
    >
    > If I look at my image in Photoshop as a .psd, it shows 12.53 in x 8.33
    > in. I'd like to get a print larger that what my letter-sized inkjet
    > will do. If I have a standard lab (Shutterfly, etc.) do it, I have to
    > do 10 x 8 or 20 x 16. That means more cropping on the width than I
    > really want to do. What I'd really like to do is have the image
    > printed as 25 x 16.6. Are there any labs that will do that?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > Mike Christie
    > mike [at] csquared [dot] com

    8x12 is generally an accepted format, I print all my stuff at home but
    I know a couple of labs that offer 8x12s at just a little more than
    8x10s. The larger sizes require you to set your image size to the
    format you need and print on the next larger size print. so 14.5 x20
    to print on a 16x20 sheet. For 16x24 or 16.6x25 you may have to pay
    for a 20x30 print. There is 20x24 paper but I wouldn't know how
    popular that would be with the mass production studios. It does help
    to upres the images to 300ppi or what ever the printer suggests.
    Mounting and frames for a 2x3 format is difficult above 8x12, 8x12
    generally can be found in stores that do framing or specific frame
    shops, but larger mats probably have to be custom cut. Aluminum
    channel frames can be bought to specific sizes at framingsupplies.com,
    they have wood too, very reasonable prices for frames. My problem is
    always finding glass/plexiglass for the frame. Haven't found a good
    source yet other than my local hardware strore, and they are
    expensive.

    Tom
    tomm42, Sep 10, 2007
  4. On Sep 9, 6:11 pm, Mike Christie <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a lab that makes prints the size and aspect ratio
    > of the image from the D70, and not just the standard film camera
    > ratios, such as 5 x 7, 8 x 10, 16 x 20, etc.?
    >
    > If I look at my image in Photoshop as a .psd, it shows 12.53 in x 8.33
    > in. I'd like to get a print larger that what my letter-sized inkjet
    > will do. If I have a standard lab (Shutterfly, etc.) do it, I have to
    > do 10 x 8 or 20 x 16. That means more cropping on the width than I
    > really want to do. What I'd really like to do is have the image
    > printed as 25 x 16.6. Are there any labs that will do that?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > Mike Christie
    > mike [at] csquared [dot] com

    The formats you mentioned are not actually film formats per se. Few of
    the sizes you mentioned were the aspect for 35mm, the most popular
    film format for the past half century. Each film format had its OWN
    aspect ratio. Thus there was always a problem

    This same problem has occurred for many, many decades. Serious
    amateurs who printed their own work used print easels that adjusted so
    you could print on various sized papers and leave a desired white
    border. In those days a white border was the thing (I won't get into
    the technical reason for it). As borderless prints became more
    common, life actually got easier, 'cause you could just print the neg
    and trim it.

    So folks always (or usually) trimmed their prints. One can still trim
    photos, with a straight edge and X-acto knife. The only problem is if
    you use regular storebought frames. In that case, you need to crop
    carefully so the print will fit the frame.

    Many folks keep in mind the popular frame sizes when composing the
    print. If this is something they want framed, they shoot/compose with
    the frame aspect ratio in mind. Otherwise, just shoot, and crop after
    seeing the print.
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Sep 10, 2007
  5. Mike Christie

    p-nutt Guest

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 16:11:08 -0700, Mike Christie <> wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a lab that makes prints the size and aspect ratio
    >of the image from the D70, and not just the standard film camera
    >ratios, such as 5 x 7, 8 x 10, 16 x 20, etc.?
    >
    >If I look at my image in Photoshop as a .psd, it shows 12.53 in x 8.33
    >in. I'd like to get a print larger that what my letter-sized inkjet
    >will do. If I have a standard lab (Shutterfly, etc.) do it, I have to
    >do 10 x 8 or 20 x 16. That means more cropping on the width than I
    >really want to do. What I'd really like to do is have the image
    >printed as 25 x 16.6. Are there any labs that will do that?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Mike
    >
    >Mike Christie
    >mike [at] csquared [dot] com

    you have the standard 35mm 3:2 ratio and many pro labs such as North American
    [www.naphoto.com] can produce several sizes for that.

    4x6, 6x9, 8x12, 10x15, 20x30

    however..if my math is correct and if your image is the max 6 meg, the size you suggest
    would be only 120 ppi which is somewhat marginal - definitely not pro quality.

    your 6 meg image would resolve as follows:

    4x6 = 500ppi
    6x9 = 334 ppi
    8x12 = 250 ppi
    10x15 = 200 ppi