Labour: Change we see but you can't photograph

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by my, Jan 26, 2010.

  1. my

    my Guest

    Labour's ministry of truth in action again.

    It wouldn't surprise me if the Department of Homeland Oppression has
    encouraged the police to harass photographers. Otherwise, they'd have to
    suppress the photos for 70 years, like the David Kelly post mortem report.

    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/kateday/100006399/labour-change-we-see-but-you-cant-photograph/

    Labour seems to have forgotten one of the first principles of
    crowd-sourcing: the crowd may see things very differently from you.

    The party has launched a social media campaign, entitled “Change we
    seeâ€, which asks people to share photographs of buildings that
    illustrate Labour’s achievements since 1997. They hoped for images of
    hospitals, schools, Sure Start centers and the like.

    Instead, photographers have pointed out that one change they have seen is
    a rise in the number of stop and searches by the police. So instead of
    adding pretty pictures of their local hospital to the Flickr group, they
    have uploaded copies of the stop and search forms they were given while
    trying to take photos in public places.

    Last Saturday, 2,000 photographers travelled to Trafalgar Square to
    protest against police use of anti-terrorism legislation to stop and
    search people taking pictures in public. Politicians still seem to
    struggle to understand that social media is as much about listening as it
    is about talking to people.

    In the time it’s taken me to write this blog, worker bees have busily
    removed images from the campaign’s Flickr pool. But how long do you
    think it will be before more appear?!

    Update: Labour has now deleted a discussion started by gnasheruk and has
    locked the group so that no one can start a new discussion. And, as Jono
    Warren pointed out, some troublesome soul has started a “Change we are
    not allowed to see†Flickr group.
    my, Jan 26, 2010