Label solution required ? suggestions ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by NZed, Dec 6, 2004.

  1. NZed

    NZed Guest

    I have a problem...I am sure someone has had a similar problem before and
    found a soloution.

    I am tying to print labels with a logo (background) and with text....so far
    no problem.
    However there are a combination of 43 different products which come in three
    different sizes and three different lengths...ie 43 x 3 x 3 = 387 different
    labels

    I would like to be able to keep a spread sheet and then simply feed in the
    info (quantity of labels per design) to print out the required labels with
    no wastage.
    ie not having to do each one individually.

    Any suggestions ?

    Can one software package do it by itself ?

    Can exel do this or in conjunction with another software package. ?

    Or is there someone who can produce a program to do this .... interested ?

    Looking forward to your suggestions

    NZed

    ---
    NZed, Dec 6, 2004

  2. NZed

    Comp Guest

    > Or is there someone who can produce a program to do this .... interested ?
    >
    > Looking forward to your suggestions
    >
    > NZed

    www.hexcom.com TICKET 2000 working with
    a MS Access database will do what you want. And its
    a NZ product. If you need help email the support
    on the website. It will also do barcodes if you want.
    Comp, Dec 6, 2004

  3. In article <eARsd.13845$>,
    "NZed" <> wrote:

    >I would like to be able to keep a spread sheet and then simply feed in the
    >info (quantity of labels per design) to print out the required labels with
    >no wastage.
    >ie not having to do each one individually.

    On Linux I'd probably write a script to generate a PDF page or similar.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 6, 2004
  4. NZed

    Sonn Guest

    "NZed" <> wrote in message
    >I have a problem...I am sure someone has had a similar problem before and
    > found a soloution.
    >
    > I am tying to print labels with a logo (background) and with text....so
    > far
    > no problem.
    > However there are a combination of 43 different products which come in
    > three
    > different sizes and three different lengths...ie 43 x 3 x 3 = 387
    > different
    > labels
    >
    > I would like to be able to keep a spread sheet and then simply feed in the
    > info (quantity of labels per design) to print out the required labels with
    > no wastage.
    > ie not having to do each one individually.
    >
    > Any suggestions ?
    >
    > Can one software package do it by itself ?
    >
    > Can exel do this or in conjunction with another software package. ?
    >
    > Or is there someone who can produce a program to do this .... interested ?
    >
    > Looking forward to your suggestions
    >
    > NZed

    If I understand you problem correctly you can set up your labels template in
    Word, and use either Word, Excel, or Access for your database, then run the
    two together in a Print Merge. This also allows you to print individual
    labels if you ever need to, but will do sheets of a certain size at a time,
    or you can set up your template to do variable sized labels per sheet, as
    well.
    S.
    Sonn, Dec 6, 2004
  5. NZed

    NZed Guest

    Correct
    I have an image as a background which is the logo.
    Then have three pieces of data that changes each time. Colour/length/type
    I was hoping to have like a spread sheet, which I can simply put in the
    quantities for each label with data.

    43 colours
    3 different lengths
    3 different types

    Then simply write in the quantities for each item.

    Then print, not wasting any labels....ie not printing one page of one type
    each time.

    NZed

    ?

    > > Looking forward to your suggestions
    > >
    > > NZed
    > >

    > If I understand you problem correctly you can set up your labels template

    in
    > Word, and use either Word, Excel, or Access for your database, then run

    the
    > two together in a Print Merge. This also allows you to print individual
    > labels if you ever need to, but will do sheets of a certain size at a

    time,
    > or you can set up your template to do variable sized labels per sheet, as
    > well.
    > S.

    ---
    NZed, Dec 6, 2004
  6. In article <eARsd.13845$> in nz.comp on Mon, 6
    Dec 2004 17:52:09 +1300, NZed <> says...
    > I have a problem...I am sure someone has had a similar problem before and
    > found a soloution.
    >
    > I am tying to print labels with a logo (background) and with text....so far
    > no problem.
    > However there are a combination of 43 different products which come in three
    > different sizes and three different lengths...ie 43 x 3 x 3 = 387 different
    > labels
    >
    > I would like to be able to keep a spread sheet and then simply feed in the
    > info (quantity of labels per design) to print out the required labels with
    > no wastage.
    > ie not having to do each one individually.
    >
    > Any suggestions ?
    >
    > Can one software package do it by itself ?
    >
    > Can exel do this or in conjunction with another software package. ?

    This is where you ditch Excel and use a proper database like Microsoft
    Access which is well suited to this.

    All you need to do then is to format the layout of the label once and
    then the labels will be formatted for the number of records in your table
    or query reading out the contents of the product name field or whatever
    information is different on every label.

    Patrick Dunford, Dec 6, 2004