La Dolce Vita

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Joshua Zyber, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Joshua Zyber

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "harrison" <> wrote in message
    news:402380f8$0$20028$...
    > Has anyone seen the NTSC Brazilian version of La Dolce Vita available
    > through Poker Industries? If so, could you comment on its quality of

    its
    > transfer? I am getting tempted, running out of patience waiting for

    a US
    > release.

    If you have a region-free player, the version to get is the 2-disc SE
    direct from Italy. Beautiful transfer and English subs. It's Region 2
    PAL.

    Joshua Zyber, Feb 6, 2004

  2. Joshua Zyber

    harrison Guest

    Has anyone seen the NTSC Brazilian version of La Dolce Vita available
    through Poker Industries? If so, could you comment on its quality of its
    transfer? I am getting tempted, running out of patience waiting for a US
    release.

    Dave
    please reply to newsgroup. Remove "WOW" from email if necessary to reply
    directly

    harrison, Feb 6, 2004

  3. Joshua Zyber

    Mr Muckle Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "harrison" <> wrote in message
    > > Has anyone seen the NTSC Brazilian version of La Dolce Vita available
    > > through Poker Industries? If so, could you comment on its quality of

    > its
    > > transfer? I am getting tempted, running out of patience waiting for

    > a US
    > > release.

    > If you have a region-free player, the version to get is the 2-disc SE
    > direct from Italy. Beautiful transfer and English subs. It's Region 2
    > PAL.

    Found the title here at DVDItaly, but have never ordered from them:
    http://tinyurl.com/2cmsk

    FYI...

    Korea has also recently released their own R3/NTSC version. 2 Disc SE too.
    From HKFlix:
    http://tinyurl.com/2xrnx

    Or the same Korean set from DVDAsian:
    http://tinyurl.com/3de6g

    Mr Muckle, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Joshua Zyber

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <YpNUb.21083$>,
    says...
    > "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > > "harrison" <> wrote in message

    > > > Has anyone seen the NTSC Brazilian version of La Dolce Vita available
    > > > through Poker Industries? If so, could you comment on its quality of

    > > its
    > > > transfer? I am getting tempted, running out of patience waiting for

    > > a US
    > > > release.

    > > If you have a region-free player, the version to get is the 2-disc SE
    > > direct from Italy. Beautiful transfer and English subs. It's Region 2
    > > PAL.
    > >

    > Found the title here at DVDItaly, but have never ordered from them:
    > http://tinyurl.com/2cmsk

    You should also be able to get it from some of the other US-based
    importers like Xploited Cinema or Diabolik DVD.

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Feb 6, 2004
  5. Joshua Zyber

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Mr Muckle" <> wrote in message
    > > If you have a region-free player, the version to get is the 2-disc

    SE
    > > direct from Italy. Beautiful transfer and English subs. It's Region

    2
    > > PAL.

    > Found the title here at DVDItaly, but have never ordered from them:
    > http://tinyurl.com/2cmsk

    dvd.it is where I bought my copy from. Their web site has an English
    language option and they ship to the US. Prices weren't too bad. No
    problems with the service.

    Joshua Zyber, Feb 6, 2004
  6. Joshua Zyber

    JONA99 Guest

    Isn't Criterion planning to release it this year? I seem to remember hearing
    so, back when La Strada and Nights of Cabiria were announced.

    JONA99, Feb 6, 2004
  7. Joshua Zyber

    harrison Guest

    Why, is the Brazilian one inferior? I am not planning to go region-free,
    which is why I asked my original question.

    Dave

    harrison, Feb 7, 2004
  8. Joshua Zyber

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "JONA99" <> wrote in message
    > Isn't Criterion planning to release it this year? I seem to remember

    hearing
    > so, back when La Strada and Nights of Cabiria were announced.

    No, they don't have the rights. Koch Lorber does. You might recogize the
    "Lorber" as formerly of Fox Lorber, the worst DVD producers on earth.

    They scheduled the movie for release last year, then delayed it. There
    is currently no fixed release date.

    Joshua Zyber, Feb 7, 2004
  9. Joshua Zyber

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "harrison" <> wrote in message
    > Why, is the Brazilian one inferior? I am not planning to go

    region-free,
    > which is why I asked my original question.

    I believe it was released much earlier, from a non-restored print. I'm
    not sure if it's the full 2.35:1 aspect ratio or anamorphic.

    Joshua Zyber, Feb 7, 2004
  10. Joshua Zyber

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <LHZUb.14145$>,
    says...
    > "harrison" <> wrote in message

    > > Why, is the Brazilian one inferior? I am not planning to go

    > region-free,
    > > which is why I asked my original question.

    > I believe it was released much earlier, from a non-restored print. I'm
    > not sure if it's the full 2.35:1 aspect ratio or anamorphic.

    I haven't seen the Brazilian disc, but comments from those who have are
    almost uniformly negative. The Italian 2-disc set is definitely the way
    to go for the foreseeable future - it is gorgeous. You can view
    screencaps in DVD Beaver's comparison between the Italian set and the
    German disc:

    http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/dolcevita.htm

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Feb 7, 2004
  11. Both the Brazilian and the UK region two are a sad joke - basically the
    old laserdisc transfer, mis-framed horrendously at barely 2.0 and shoddy
    as can be. The Italian is the ONLY time this film has ever been
    properly framed on video, and it's enhanced for widescreen TVs to boot
    and gorgeous to further boot, and has English subs to further boot. Why
    anyone in this day and age doesn't have an all-region player is beyond
    me. They are incredibly inexpensive.

    Brockhurst Pertwee, Feb 7, 2004