l2tpv3 and vlans

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ian MacDougall, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    I have a requirement to build a resilient network using 3 100Mb/s lan
    extension circuits between 3 buildings.

    The requirements are:

    1. All links must be active (ie carry data)
    2. Upon a link failure traffic will converge on a new route quickly (<
    5secs)
    3. The links must support several VLANs all VLANS will be available in
    all 3 buildings

    1 precludes the use of STP as one of the links will be blocked
    2 suggests OSPF or EIGRP and a layer 3 network, but that precludes 3,
    RSTP will do the trick but again one of the links will be blocked.

    I've come across l2tpv3 (layer two tunneling protocol version three)
    that seems to do what I want, but I can find a cisco document that
    will tell me how I can use this protocol to encapsulate the VLAN
    traffic across a layer3 network or what kit I need to use to do this.

    Can anyone help me out here, has anyone implemented l2tpv3 to solve
    this sort of problem if so what kit did you use and how did you find
    out how to configure it?

    Thanks.

    Ian MacDougall, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Ian MacDougall

    John Agosta Guest

    Sounds like setting up an Ether Channel arrangement might do the trick for
    you ?

    John Agosta, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Ian MacDougall

    Tosh Guest

    > 1. All links must be active (ie carry data)
    > 2. Upon a link failure traffic will converge on a new route quickly (<
    > 5secs)
    > 3. The links must support several VLANs all VLANS will be available in
    > all 3 buildings

    It seems to me that Per Vlan Rapid Spanning Tree is doing the trick for you
    in that case.
    Just work with the STP cost and/or weight in order to selectively block
    vlans on the links and make all the three working.
    Bye,
    Tosh.

    Tosh, Dec 9, 2003
  4. "John Agosta" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Sounds like setting up an Ether Channel arrangement might do the trick for
    > you ?

    Doesn't that just bundle the links into one physical link ( assume we
    have one link each between each of the three sites).

    Ian MacDougall, Dec 10, 2003
  5. "Tosh" <> wrote in message news:<br58bp$28rtbr$-berlin.de>...
    > > 1. All links must be active (ie carry data)
    > > 2. Upon a link failure traffic will converge on a new route quickly (<
    > > 5secs)
    > > 3. The links must support several VLANs all VLANS will be available in
    > > all 3 buildings
    > >

    > It seems to me that Per Vlan Rapid Spanning Tree is doing the trick for you
    > in that case.
    > Just work with the STP cost and/or weight in order to selectively block
    > vlans on the links and make all the three working.
    > Bye,

    Thanks for your reply.

    With per vlan spanning tree will I end up with multiple root bridges?
    I've been told that having multiple root bridges will make the network
    problems difficult to diagnose.

    Ian MacDougall, Dec 10, 2003
  6. Ian MacDougall

    John Agosta Guest

    Yes Ian, that's what it does.
    My suggestion isn't a valid solution.
    (didn't read the question thoroughly)
    I was thinking three links between 2 sites,
    and now I see the scenario is 3 sites with a link
    connecting each of em in a 'triangle' kind of arrangement.

    I like the idea of PVST mentioned by Tosh.
    And yes, there will be multiple roots, but I don't think
    that makes trouble shooting terribly more complex,
    just attack problems on a per vlan basis and document things nicely.

    Have fun.

    -ja

    John Agosta, Dec 10, 2003
  7. Ian MacDougall

    Tosh Guest

    > With per vlan spanning tree will I end up with multiple root bridges?
    > I've been told that having multiple root bridges will make the network
    > problems difficult to diagnose.

    Theoretically STP will end up to create multiple root bridges, but I don't
    see any problem in it, as far as each vlan will have its stp instance
    totally unaware of the others.
    Bye,
    Tosh.

    Tosh, Dec 11, 2003
  8. "John Agosta" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Yes Ian, that's what it does.
    > My suggestion isn't a valid solution.
    > (didn't read the question thoroughly)
    > I was thinking three links between 2 sites,
    > and now I see the scenario is 3 sites with a link
    > connecting each of em in a 'triangle' kind of arrangement.
    >
    > I like the idea of PVST mentioned by Tosh.
    > And yes, there will be multiple roots, but I don't think
    > that makes trouble shooting terribly more complex,
    > just attack problems on a per vlan basis and document things nicely.
    >
    > Have fun.

    OK thanks for that I'll look into it.

    Ian MacDougall, Dec 15, 2003
  9. "Tosh" <> wrote in message news:<br9310$nab3$-berlin.de>...
    > > With per vlan spanning tree will I end up with multiple root bridges?
    > > I've been told that having multiple root bridges will make the network
    > > problems difficult to diagnose.

    > Theoretically STP will end up to create multiple root bridges, but I don't
    > see any problem in it, as far as each vlan will have its stp instance
    > totally unaware of the others.
    > Bye,
    > Tosh.

    OK great thanks for the information.