l2tp udp checksums in 12.4T

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Dan Lanciani, Apr 6, 2009.

  1. Dan Lanciani

    Dan Lanciani Guest

    Ok, this is a weird one. I noticed that a vpdn configuration that I
    have used since 12.2 was not doing what I expected in 12.4(15)T. In
    particular, udp checksums were not on even though the vpdn group
    specified "l2tp ip udp checksum". As far as I can tell, this configuration
    command is now completely ignored in the vpdn group itself although it
    does work if applied to the unnamed vpdn template. This is true even if
    the vpdn group specifies "no source vpdn-template". Were it not for the
    latter I would think they just got the sense of "default" reversed but
    clearly something more is going on. Perhaps the unnamed vpdn template
    has become the system default template as well? (Explicit named vpdn
    templates also allow checksums to be enabled.)

    There has always been an issue with the hierarchy of vpdn configuration
    commands as it clashes with the idea of not including default values in
    the configuration. Parameters specified in a vpdn group are supposed to
    take precedence over those in any linked template but there is no way to
    specify a parameter that would be the default were it not for the template.
    Possibly someone is trying to clean this up and is fiddling with the code?

    Dan Lanciani
    ddl@danlan.*com

    Dan Lanciani, Apr 6, 2009