    Is there anyware a comparison

    Cheers,
    Shiva

    Shiva, Mar 7, 2004

  2. > L2TP is encrypted if you use IPSEC.
    > PPTP is encrypted with Microsoft Encryption.
    >
    > Can anyone explain to use when you use L2TP or PPTP ? What are the

    benifits
    > of each other ?

    L2TP offer stronger security, but is also resource intensive and supported
    only by Windows 2000 or later clients.

    PPTP works with Windows 95 and later and can offer a better throughput
    and/or more tunnels with the same hardware configuration.

    Regards,
    Corrado

    Corrado Labinaz, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Though pptp can be very secure if configured correctly and a complex password is used
    with MSCAPv2, l2tp is more secure for a number of reasons. The actual authentication
    exchange is not encrypted [other than that provided by the protocol itself] in pptp
    while it is in l2tp. L2tp uses a more robust encryption method and probably one of
    the biggest advantages is it requires certificate machine authentication in addition
    to user authentication while pptp only requires user authentication for initial
    connection. That means if a hacker knows the name/password for a vpn user it is no
    good to them on a computer without a trusted certificate for machine authentication.
    While either can be configured on Windows computers [W9X requires client upgrade],
    pptp is generally easier to set up than l2tp as is will not work through NAT routers
    and requires a Certificate Authority to issue machine certificates [easy enough to do
    though]. There is a NAT-T update that is supposed to work through NAT routers. See
    the link below for excellent and easy to read white paper on the subject. --- Steve

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/vpnover.mspx

    Steven L Umbach, Mar 7, 2004
  4. Clear and concise and answered a couple of nagging doubts for me.

    Thanks Steve.

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 17:55:47 GMT, "Steven L Umbach"
    <> wrote:

    >Though pptp can be very secure if configured correctly and a complex password is used
    >with MSCAPv2, l2tp is more secure for a number of reasons. The actual authentication
    >exchange is not encrypted [other than that provided by the protocol itself] in pptp
    >while it is in l2tp. L2tp uses a more robust encryption method and probably one of
    >the biggest advantages is it requires certificate machine authentication in addition
    >to user authentication while pptp only requires user authentication for initial
    >connection. That means if a hacker knows the name/password for a vpn user it is no
    >good to them on a computer without a trusted certificate for machine authentication.
    >While either can be configured on Windows computers [W9X requires client upgrade],
    >pptp is generally easier to set up than l2tp as is will not work through NAT routers
    >and requires a Certificate Authority to issue machine certificates [easy enough to do
    >though]. There is a NAT-T update that is supposed to work through NAT routers. See
    >the link below for excellent and easy to read white paper on the subject. --- Steve
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/vpnover.mspx
    >
    >"Shiva" <> wrote in message news:hxC2c.2701$...
    >> Dear Group,
    >>
    >> T2TP is encrypted if you use IPSEC.
    >> PPTP is encrypted with Microsoft Encryption.
    >>
    >> Can anyone explain to use when you use L2TP or PPTP ? What are the benifits
    >> of each other ?
    >>
    >> Is there anyware a comparison
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Shiva

    ================================
    My Hero:
    (remove vroomfondle to email me)
    ================================

    Marlin Munrow, Mar 7, 2004
  5. Thanks, glad to help. I think the white paper is excellent as lot of the Windows 2003
    documentation from Microsoft seems to be. --- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Mar 7, 2004
  6. 2 true
    thanks for your continued helpful and honest input despite the
    trolls.

    I O U. 20% of my MCSE 2003

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 20:14:36 GMT, "Steven L Umbach"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks, glad to help. I think the white paper is excellent as lot of the Windows 2003
    >documentation from Microsoft seems to be. --- Steve
    >

    >"Marlin Munrow" <> wrote in message
    >> Clear and concise and answered a couple of nagging doubts for me.
    >>
    >> Thanks Steve.

    <<SNIP>>

    Marlin Munrow, Mar 7, 2004