L2TP, PPTP or SSH

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Nick, Nov 11, 2005.

  1. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Can someone, please, help me answering the following question:

    Which tunneling protocol only works on IP networks?

    L2TP

    PPTP

    SSH


    Thanks in advance!
     
    Nick, Nov 11, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Nick

    +Alan Hicks+ Guest

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    In alt.computer.security, Nick dared to utter,
    > Can someone, please, help me answering the following question:
    >
    > Which tunneling protocol only works on IP networks?
    >
    > L2TP
    >
    > PPTP
    >
    > SSH


    I'm sure if you wait a couple of days you'll get your grade and the
    instructor will explain the answer to you.

    But in case that's too long to wait, JFGI.

    - --
    It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise,
    Than for a man to hear the song of fools.
    Ecclesiastes 7:5
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.7 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFDdUSVzLTO1iU1uO4RAsixAJ9thKmiWsKlhsrEHxSeRS3xmGFWTwCgtkf8
    YCVKyD01XxGShGPTu5V6sD0=
    =BIdR
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
     
    +Alan Hicks+, Nov 12, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Nick

    Imhotep Guest

    Nick wrote:

    > Can someone, please, help me answering the following question:
    >
    > Which tunneling protocol only works on IP networks?
    >
    > L2TP
    >
    > PPTP
    >
    > SSH
    >
    >
    > Thanks in advance!


    Do you mean which one can only be used to transport/tunnel IP traffic? Don't
    you?

    Imhotep
     
    Imhotep, Nov 12, 2005
    #3
  4. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "+Alan Hicks+" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > In alt.computer.security, Nick dared to utter,
    > > Can someone, please, help me answering the following question:
    > >
    > > Which tunneling protocol only works on IP networks?
    > >
    > > L2TP
    > >
    > > PPTP
    > >
    > > SSH

    >
    > I'm sure if you wait a couple of days you'll get your grade and the
    > instructor will explain the answer to you.
    >
    > But in case that's too long to wait, JFGI.
    >
    > - --
    > It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise,
    > Than for a man to hear the song of fools.
    > Ecclesiastes 7:5
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > Version: GnuPG v1.2.7 (GNU/Linux)
    >
    > iD8DBQFDdUSVzLTO1iU1uO4RAsixAJ9thKmiWsKlhsrEHxSeRS3xmGFWTwCgtkf8
    > YCVKyD01XxGShGPTu5V6sD0=
    > =BIdR
    > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


    I take it you do not know the right answer, but you can explain the meaning
    of the acronym JFGI, if you do not mind.
    It's not the grade I am worried about .... Thanks for your time, although it
    sems you have too much time to waste.
     
    Nick, Nov 12, 2005
    #4
  5. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Nick wrote:
    >
    > > Can someone, please, help me answering the following question:
    > >
    > > Which tunneling protocol only works on IP networks?
    > >
    > > L2TP
    > >
    > > PPTP
    > >
    > > SSH
    > >
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!

    >
    > Do you mean which one can only be used to transport/tunnel IP traffic?

    Don't
    > you?
    >
    > Imhotep


    Yes. It's question 6 at:
    http://www.braindumpcentral.com/displayDump.aspx?idTestName=123
     
    Nick, Nov 12, 2005
    #5
  6. Nick

    Imhotep Guest

    Nick wrote:

    >
    > "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Nick wrote:
    >>
    >> > Can someone, please, help me answering the following question:
    >> >
    >> > Which tunneling protocol only works on IP networks?
    >> >
    >> > L2TP
    >> >
    >> > PPTP
    >> >
    >> > SSH
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance!

    >>
    >> Do you mean which one can only be used to transport/tunnel IP traffic?

    > Don't
    >> you?
    >>
    >> Imhotep

    >
    > Yes. It's question 6 at:
    > http://www.braindumpcentral.com/displayDump.aspx?idTestName=123



    Off the top of my head, I would say SSH....

    Imhotep
     
    Imhotep, Nov 12, 2005
    #6
  7. Nick

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 10:56:30 -0500, Imhotep <>
    wrote:

    >Nick wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> Nick wrote:
    >>>
    >>> > Can someone, please, help me answering the following question:
    >>> >
    >>> > Which tunneling protocol only works on IP networks?
    >>> >
    >>> > L2TP
    >>> >
    >>> > PPTP
    >>> >
    >>> > SSH
    >>> >
    >>> >
    >>> > Thanks in advance!
    >>>
    >>> Do you mean which one can only be used to transport/tunnel IP traffic?

    >> Don't
    >>> you?
    >>>
    >>> Imhotep

    >>
    >> Yes. It's question 6 at:
    >> http://www.braindumpcentral.com/displayDump.aspx?idTestName=123

    >
    >
    >Off the top of my head, I would say SSH....


    as the others support UDP down their tunnels I guess you are right.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
     
    Jim Watt, Nov 12, 2005
    #7
  8. Nick

    Moe Trin Guest

    In the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    <HUddf.487079$1i.65328@pd7tw2no>, Nick wrote:

    >I take it you do not know the right answer, but you can explain the
    >meaning of the acronym JFGI, if you do not mind.


    http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?Acronym=JFGI

    which is also a good place to find out what those letters mean. The main
    problem with this Interweb thingy is that there is so much information
    out there that you need to learn how to use it. 'JFGI' is a good start
    because it doesn't make you wait five hours for your question to trickle
    around the world.

    Old guy
     
    Moe Trin, Nov 12, 2005
    #8
  9. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "Moe Trin" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    > <HUddf.487079$1i.65328@pd7tw2no>, Nick wrote:
    >
    > >I take it you do not know the right answer, but you can explain the
    > >meaning of the acronym JFGI, if you do not mind.

    >
    > http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?Acronym=JFGI
    >
    > which is also a good place to find out what those letters mean. The main
    > problem with this Interweb thingy is that there is so much information
    > out there that you need to learn how to use it. 'JFGI' is a good start
    > because it doesn't make you wait five hours for your question to trickle
    > around the world.
    >
    > Old guy



    Thanks :)
     
    Nick, Nov 12, 2005
    #9
  10. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Nick wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > >> Nick wrote:
    > >>
    > >> > Can someone, please, help me answering the following question:
    > >> >
    > >> > Which tunneling protocol only works on IP networks?
    > >> >
    > >> > L2TP
    > >> >
    > >> > PPTP
    > >> >
    > >> > SSH
    > >> >
    > >> >
    > >> > Thanks in advance!
    > >>
    > >> Do you mean which one can only be used to transport/tunnel IP traffic?

    > > Don't
    > >> you?
    > >>
    > >> Imhotep

    > >
    > > Yes. It's question 6 at:
    > > http://www.braindumpcentral.com/displayDump.aspx?idTestName=123

    >
    >
    > Off the top of my head, I would say SSH....
    >
    > Imhotep


    Thank you!
     
    Nick, Nov 12, 2005
    #10
  11. Nick

    Imhotep Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 10:56:30 -0500, Imhotep <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Nick wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> Nick wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> > Can someone, please, help me answering the following question:
    >>>> >
    >>>> > Which tunneling protocol only works on IP networks?
    >>>> >
    >>>> > L2TP
    >>>> >
    >>>> > PPTP
    >>>> >
    >>>> > SSH
    >>>> >
    >>>> >
    >>>> > Thanks in advance!
    >>>>
    >>>> Do you mean which one can only be used to transport/tunnel IP traffic?
    >>> Don't
    >>>> you?
    >>>>
    >>>> Imhotep
    >>>
    >>> Yes. It's question 6 at:
    >>> http://www.braindumpcentral.com/displayDump.aspx?idTestName=123

    >>
    >>
    >>Off the top of my head, I would say SSH....

    >
    > as the others support UDP down their tunnels I guess you are right.
    >
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com



    ....it is not the UDP part that matters (IP is UDP/TCP/ICMP/IGMP) or more
    correctly put, these protocols "ride" (or uses the services of) IP. I seem
    to recall that L2TP, (Layer 2 transport Protocol) can tunnel more than IP
    (ie IPX, etc) and I believe PPTP can also....

    SSH is IP only (it can not tunnel, say, IPX, or other non IP protocols)...

    Again, I am going off the top of my head...

    Imhotep
     
    Imhotep, Nov 12, 2005
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. David

    IPSec vs. L2TP/IPsec vs. PPTP

    David, Jan 7, 2004, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    6,812
    David
    Jan 7, 2004
  2. Gary
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,115
  3. AM
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    593
  4. AM
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    477
  5. davidls
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,107
    davidls
    Mar 31, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page