L plate for 10D, Kirk or RRS?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Michael C. Smith, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. I'd like to follow up to Lisa Horton's post 2003-05-15 12:43:01 PST:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?th=8d88bb6a213556c5

    What L-plate/L-bracket did you buy for your Canon 10D? Would you
    choose the same one again?

    I ask because in vertical mode, the RRS B10DL L-plate doesn't appear
    exactly centered with the lens mount. See:

    http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/media/full_size/B10DLcamera.jpg

    Trevor Ash thinks it's about 3/4 to 1 inch from the center of the lens
    mount. See:

    http://www.persistinglight.com/am.cgi?action=viewreview&id=00001
    Kirk L-bracket for Canon 10D without the BG-ED3
    By: Trevor Ash, August 9th 2003

    Trevor says the Kirk BL-10D puts pressure on the remote release cable
    which adds stress at the contacts.

    Per a conversation with a representative, the RRS B10DL is off-center
    in vertical orientation to avoid conflict with the cable release
    terminal (N3).

    Thanks in advance.

    Cheers,

    ...Mike Smith . Silver Spring, Maryland, USA

    Michael C. Smith, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Michael C. Smith

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    (Michael C. Smith) wrote:

    > I'd like to follow up to Lisa Horton's post 2003-05-15 12:43:01 PST:
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?th=8d88bb6a213556c5
    >
    > What L-plate/L-bracket did you buy for your Canon 10D? Would you
    > choose the same one again?
    >
    > I ask because in vertical mode, the RRS B10DL L-plate doesn't appear
    > exactly centered with the lens mount. See:
    >
    > http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/media/full_size/B10DLcamera.jpg
    >
    > Trevor Ash thinks it's about 3/4 to 1 inch from the center of the lens
    > mount. See:
    >
    > http://www.persistinglight.com/am.cgi?action=viewreview&id=00001
    > Kirk L-bracket for Canon 10D without the BG-ED3
    > By: Trevor Ash, August 9th 2003
    >
    > Trevor says the Kirk BL-10D puts pressure on the remote release cable
    > which adds stress at the contacts.
    >
    > Per a conversation with a representative, the RRS B10DL is off-center
    > in vertical orientation to avoid conflict with the cable release
    > terminal (N3).
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > ..Mike Smith . Silver Spring, Maryland, USA

    Take a look at the Novoflex L bracket then.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Bob Salomon <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > (Michael C. Smith) wrote:
    >
    > > I'd like to follow up to Lisa Horton's post 2003-05-15 12:43:01 PST:
    > > http://groups.google.com/groups?th=8d88bb6a213556c5
    > >
    > > What L-plate/L-bracket did you buy for your Canon 10D? Would you
    > > choose the same one again?

    >..
    > Take a look at the Novoflex L bracket then.

    Thanks, Bob, but I'd prefer a custom plate over a universal fit. From
    http://www.hpmarketingcorp.com/novoflex.html and
    http://www.novoflex.de/ I can't figure out how the Q-Base works so I
    requested a catalog from Novoflex. The Q-Base looks interesting,
    thanks for the tip.

    Any users of RRS or Kirk L-plates out there?

    ...Mike

    Michael C. Smith, Feb 18, 2004
  4. Michael C. Smith

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    (Michael C. Smith) wrote:

    > Bob Salomon <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > (Michael C. Smith) wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'd like to follow up to Lisa Horton's post 2003-05-15 12:43:01 PST:
    > > > http://groups.google.com/groups?th=8d88bb6a213556c5
    > > >
    > > > What L-plate/L-bracket did you buy for your Canon 10D? Would you
    > > > choose the same one again?

    > >..
    > > Take a look at the Novoflex L bracket then.

    > Thanks, Bob, but I'd prefer a custom plate over a universal fit. From
    > http://www.hpmarketingcorp.com/novoflex.html and
    > http://www.novoflex.de/ I can't figure out how the Q-Base works so I
    > requested a catalog from Novoflex. The Q-Base looks interesting,
    > thanks for the tip.
    >
    > Any users of RRS or Kirk L-plates out there?
    >
    > ..Mike

    The Q=Base is an automatic locking quick release base for Novoflex and
    Arca style plates. As soon as the plate makes contact with the Q=Base
    the plate is locked on the Q=Base. Using Novoflex, and some other,
    plates the Q=Base also has macro positioning by sliding the plate front
    to back. The slide motion is locked by the rotating the knurled ring via
    the lever a short way.
    There is also now a Q=Mount which is a smaller version with a manual
    lock for the plates. With this mount a lever locks the plate onto the
    base manually.

    Novoflex also has eliminated the need for custom plates by making some
    plates with a pair of set screws and a series of threaded holes. You
    simply line your camera or lens up on the plate and place the set screws
    in the pair of holes that correspond to the position of your lens or
    camera. Resulting in a custom plate that can be recustomized as your
    equipment changes.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Feb 18, 2004
  5. Michael C. Smith

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    (Michael C. Smith) wrote:

    > Bob Salomon <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > (Michael C. Smith) wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'd like to follow up to Lisa Horton's post 2003-05-15 12:43:01 PST:
    > > > http://groups.google.com/groups?th=8d88bb6a213556c5
    > > >
    > > > What L-plate/L-bracket did you buy for your Canon 10D? Would you
    > > > choose the same one again?

    > >..
    > > Take a look at the Novoflex L bracket then.

    > Thanks, Bob, but I'd prefer a custom plate over a universal fit. From
    > http://www.hpmarketingcorp.com/novoflex.html and
    > http://www.novoflex.de/ I can't figure out how the Q-Base works so I
    > requested a catalog from Novoflex. The Q-Base looks interesting,
    > thanks for the tip.
    >
    > Any users of RRS or Kirk L-plates out there?
    >
    > ..Mike

    I know you requested a brochure but I can not send it too you till I
    return to the office on Mar. 1st. It is too bad we didn't know you
    needed one as I am currently setting up our booth for the TGA show at
    the new DC convention center and could have shown it to you at this
    show. I will be at WPPI in Las Vegas after this show and will get it out
    to you as soon as I get back to the office. I will try to email you a
    pdf sheet on the Q=Base in the mean time.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Feb 18, 2004
  6. Michael C. Smith

    max Guest

    > The Q=Base is an automatic locking quick release base for Novoflex and
    > Arca style plates. As soon as the plate makes contact with the Q=Base
    > the plate is locked on the Q=Base. Using Novoflex, and some other,
    > plates the Q=Base also has macro positioning by sliding the plate front
    > to back. The slide motion is locked by the rotating the knurled ring via
    > the lever a short way.
    > There is also now a Q=Mount which is a smaller version with a manual
    > lock for the plates. With this mount a lever locks the plate onto the
    > base manually.
    >
    > Novoflex also has eliminated the need for custom plates by making some
    > plates with a pair of set screws and a series of threaded holes. You
    > simply line your camera or lens up on the plate and place the set screws
    > in the pair of holes that correspond to the position of your lens or
    > camera. Resulting in a custom plate that can be recustomized as your
    > equipment changes.
    >
    > --
    > To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Thanks for that description Bob, I've been looking
    for something like this for a while, but could'nt find
    any info anywhere, so I gave up and stuck with my
    old QR system. The new classic ballhead looks
    interesting too, but info is limited on the Novoflex site.
    ;o)-max-

    max, Feb 18, 2004
  7. Michael C. Smith

    Curt Gentry Guest

    Have either of you ever used a StroboFrame Pro R/L (I think that is
    the model).

    You can quick-release connect it to your tripod. But, there is no
    need to release it and connect it again to change your photo aspect.
    It has a rotating hinge to shoot vertical or horizontal, plus a
    telescopic arm for your flash to raise it high off your camera, but
    keeping that flash directly over the shot to eliminate red-eye and
    shadows.

    Sturdy construction. Great Product.

    Curt Gentry, Feb 18, 2004