KVM Switch and Horizontal span?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mr User, Jan 11, 2007.

  1. Mr User

    Mr User Guest

    Hi Folks

    I have 2 base systems and want to use a KVM switch (2 Port).

    PC1: Main system is configured for horizontal span LCD via DVI and
    Monitor 1 via VGA.
    PC2: Low power P2P system connected to a small Monitor 2 (which I wish
    to remove).

    So I set up ..

    PC1 DVI to LCD also PC1 VGA Monitor 1 to KVM Switch
    PC2 VGA to KVM Switch

    I can switch the KVM to PC2 on Monitor 1 no probs but when I switch to
    PC1 Monitor 1 goes into standby although I can use the KB and Mouse on LCD.

    PC1 no longer allows me to set-up horizontal span. From display
    properties it can no longer see Monitor 2.

    Is there a solution for such a setup?

    Many thanks
    Mr User, Jan 11, 2007

  2. Mr User

    Mr User Guest

    Mr User wrote:
    > Hi Folks
    >
    > I have 2 base systems and want to use a KVM switch (2 Port).
    >
    > PC1: Main system is configured for horizontal span LCD via DVI and
    > Monitor 1 via VGA.
    > PC2: Low power P2P system connected to a small Monitor 2 (which I wish
    > to remove).
    >
    > So I set up ..
    >
    > PC1 DVI to LCD also PC1 VGA Monitor 1 to KVM Switch
    > PC2 VGA to KVM Switch
    >
    > I can switch the KVM to PC2 on Monitor 1 no probs but when I switch to
    > PC1 Monitor 1 goes into standby although I can use the KB and Mouse on LCD.
    >
    > PC1 no longer allows me to set-up horizontal span. From display
    > properties it can no longer see Monitor 2.
    >
    > Is there a solution for such a setup?
    >
    > Many thanks

    OK sorry chaps scrap that questions it works fine ... operator error
    :blushes:
    Mr User, Jan 11, 2007

  3. Mr User

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Mr User wrote:
    > Hi Folks
    >
    > I have 2 base systems and want to use a KVM switch (2 Port).
    >
    > PC1: Main system is configured for horizontal span LCD via DVI and
    > Monitor 1 via VGA.
    > PC2: Low power P2P system connected to a small Monitor 2 (which I wish
    > to remove).
    >
    > So I set up ..
    >
    > PC1 DVI to LCD also PC1 VGA Monitor 1 to KVM Switch
    > PC2 VGA to KVM Switch
    >
    > I can switch the KVM to PC2 on Monitor 1 no probs but when I switch to
    > PC1 Monitor 1 goes into standby although I can use the KB and Mouse on LCD.
    >
    > PC1 no longer allows me to set-up horizontal span. From display
    > properties it can no longer see Monitor 2.
    >
    > Is there a solution for such a setup?
    >
    > Many thanks

    I use a KVM switch and both PC are VGA to the same resolution (and
    progressive scan).
    Rick Merrill, Jan 11, 2007