KV8 Pro - RAM Clock speed and CAS Latency

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by tezza, Aug 4, 2007.

  1. tezza

    tezza Guest

    I have two 512MB sticks of PC3200 (400MHz) DDR SDRAM. The Corsair has a
    CAS#Latency of 2.5, the Kingston is 3.0

    Mobo: KV8 Pro (VIA K8T800P-8237), 1.x

    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    CPU Clock Speed - 2043.1 MHz
    Clock multiplier - x 10.0
    HTT Bus Frequency - 204.3 MHz

    When I run with either stick I get this at POST:

    Memory information is: DDR 400
    CLOCK speed is: DDR 400

    When I run with both sticks POST tells me:

    Memory information is: DDR 400
    CLOCK speed is: DDR 333

    Here's CPU-Z memory output

    Module 0 - Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
    DRAM Frequency - 204.3 MHz
    FSB:DRAM - CPU/10.0
    CAS# Latency - 2.5 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# - 3 clocks
    RAS# Precharge - 3 clocks
    Cycle Time (TRAS) - 8 clocks
    Bank Cycle Time (TRC) - 11 clocks
    DRAM Idle Timer - 16 clocks

    Module 0 Kingston DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
    DRAM Frequency - 204.3 MHz
    FSB:DRAM - CPU/10.0
    CAS# Latency - 3.0 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# - 3 clocks
    RAS# Precharge - 3 clocks
    Cycle Time (TRAS) - 8 clocks
    Bank Cycle Time (TRC) - 11 clocks
    DRAM Idle Timer - 16 clocks

    Module 0 - Kingston DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
    Module 1 - Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
    DRAM Frequency - 170.3 MHz
    FSB:DRAM - CPU/12.0
    CAS# Latency - 2.5 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# - 3 clocks
    RAS# Precharge - 3 clocks
    Cycle Time (TRAS) - 7 clocks
    Bank Cycle Time (TRC) - 10 clocks
    DRAM Idle Timer - 16 clocks

    Obviously, this mismatch in CAS Latency is not ideal and appears to be
    costing me something in performance. But am I likely to encounter
    unpredictable errors with this setup?

    Thanks in advance for any advice
    tezza, Aug 4, 2007

  2. tezza

    chuckie® Guest

    FWIW, I have a KV8-pro, with AMD 64/3000 CPU and have been running a stick
    of PC2700 and another PC3200, for a total of 1 gig of RAM. Obviously, not
    ideal, but, at present, I'm too lazy and/or broke to address the situation.
    It's been running like this for almost two years, and I haven't had a RAM
    related problem yet.
    chuckie®, Aug 5, 2007

  3. tezza

    tezza Guest

    > FWIW, I have a KV8-pro, with AMD 64/3000 CPU and have been running a stick
    > of PC2700 and another PC3200, for a total of 1 gig of RAM. Obviously, not
    > ideal, but, at present, I'm too lazy and/or broke to address the
    > situation.
    > It's been running like this for almost two years, and I haven't had a RAM
    > related problem yet.

    so the overall speed drops to that of the PC2700 stick, i would presume? I
    was more concerned with the CL mismatch sending the data on the wrong clock
    cycle, but i have since noticed that the CL drops to 3.0 overall so they
    should be ok. Although, for a while on Saturday my system ran like a dog
    when I had oth sticks in. Not sure if it was the RAM or not.

    tezza, Aug 6, 2007
  4. tezza

    chuckie® Guest

    Yes, on mine, the overall speed drops to the 2700. I would think, seems
    logical, that, on yours, the latency would do the same. Just a guess, mind
    you, but it seems logical. Personally, I've never had RAM affect the
    machine like your description. I would suspect something else, such as, a
    spyware or trojan, or, more likely, a wayward program running in the
    background. Although, come to think of it, I think I just described some
    spyware there...
    chuckie®, Aug 7, 2007
  5. tezza

    tezza Guest

    > Yes, on mine, the overall speed drops to the 2700. I would think, seems
    > logical, that, on yours, the latency would do the same. Just a guess,
    > mind
    > you, but it seems logical. Personally, I've never had RAM affect the
    > machine like your description. I would suspect something else, such as, a
    > spyware or trojan, or, more likely, a wayward program running in the
    > background. Although, come to think of it, I think I just described some
    > spyware there...

    Bad RAM (admittedly,that label most likely doesn't apply here) can cause
    all sorts of weird problems; problems that rarely shout 'hey, you've got bad
    ram"! My system returned to normal when I removed the stick with the higher
    latency, leaving just 512 meg of CL2.5. I'll test all combinations of both
    sticks this week.

    tezza, Aug 7, 2007