    Or is there somewhere I can install them from automatically?
    I mean packages made for ubuntu in some kind of ftp site..
    since I am novice and cannot nor do I want to compile.

    John Jay Smith, Feb 16, 2006

  2. John Jay Smith

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 23:36:57 +0200, John Jay Smith wrote:

    > Does kubuntu have samba server and webmin?
    >
    > Or is there somewhere I can install them from automatically?
    > I mean packages made for ubuntu in some kind of ftp site..
    > since I am novice and cannot nor do I want to compile.

    Samba should be installed by default. Webmin you will have to get and
    install.

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Ubuntu 5.10

    Gordon, Feb 16, 2006

  3. John Jay Smith

    Tony Guest

    "John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in message
    > Does kubuntu have samba server and webmin?
    >
    > Or is there somewhere I can install them from automatically?
    > I mean packages made for ubuntu in some kind of ftp site..
    > since I am novice and cannot nor do I want to compile.

    No it doesn't come with Samba automatically. The usual distribution is on a
    CD and there isn't a lot of room for extra's. It is easy to install Samba.
    Have a look at
    http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu#How_to_install_Samba_Server_for_files.2Ffolders_sharing_service -
    its a Ubuntu based help file but Kubuntu should be much the same.

    It installs itself so you don't have to compile.

    I expect webmin can be downloaded from a repository as well.

    Best place to get support is by adding news.gmane.org news server and doing
    a search for Kubuntu and Ubuntu.

    Tony, Feb 16, 2006
  4. thank you.. I found samba server on the cd! so it has it, but not webmin,
    of course I found information on how to install that also...
    but its all a pain in the ass!

    what is this news.gmane.org newsgroup?

    John Jay Smith, Feb 17, 2006
  5. John Jay Smith

    Tony Guest

    "John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in message news:-privat.org...
    > thank you.. I found samba server on the cd! so it has it, but not webmin,
    > of course I found information on how to install that also...
    > but its all a pain in the ass!
    >
    > what is this news.gmane.org newsgroup?

    Its not a newsgroup but a news server. Its where the Ubuntu/Kubuntu
    newsgroups are. It is free. To go there you need to go to tools/accounts.

    Click on the add button and select news...

    Follow the wizard through (asks for name then email address) then when it
    asks for NNTP server, type in news.gmane.org

    It will appear as a listing in the column where your other newsgroups are.

    You will find loads of Linux, Solaris, freebsd, Samba, Apache and such like
    newsgroups there.

    Tony, Feb 17, 2006
  6. thanks! Nice server!

    http://www.gmane.org/

    John Jay Smith, Feb 17, 2006
  7. John Jay Smith

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * John Jay Smith wrote:
    > thank you.. I found samba server on the cd! so it has it, but not webmin,
    > of course I found information on how to install that also...
    > but its all a pain in the ass!
    >
    > what is this news.gmane.org newsgroup?

    Try this group:

    alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    > "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in message
    >>> Does kubuntu have samba server and webmin?
    >>>
    >>> Or is there somewhere I can install them from automatically?
    >>> I mean packages made for ubuntu in some kind of ftp site..
    >>> since I am novice and cannot nor do I want to compile.

    >> No it doesn't come with Samba automatically. The usual distribution is on
    >> a CD and there isn't a lot of room for extra's. It is easy to install
    >> Samba. Have a look at
    >> http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu#How_to_install_Samba_Server_for_files.2Ffolders_sharing_service -
    >> its a Ubuntu based help file but Kubuntu should be much the same.
    >>
    >> It installs itself so you don't have to compile.
    >>
    >> I expect webmin can be downloaded from a repository as well.
    >>
    >> Best place to get support is by adding news.gmane.org news server and
    >> doing a search for Kubuntu and Ubuntu.

    --
    Troy Piggins
    Ubuntu 5.10 pkgs : kernel 2.6.12-9-386, postfix 2.2.4, procmail 3.22
    Compiled from src : slrn 0.9.8.1/rt (score_color patch), mutt 1.5.11i
    vim 6.4

    Troy Piggins, Feb 17, 2006
  8. John Jay Smith

    Frosty Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Thu, 16 Feb 2006
    23:36:57 +0200, canst thou now find out, to hide "John Jay Smith" <->
    from this open and apparent shame?:

    >Does kubuntu have samba server and webmin?

    Is that the loin king?

    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

    Frosty, Feb 17, 2006
  9. John Jay Smith skrev:
    > Does kubuntu have samba server and webmin?
    >
    > Or is there somewhere I can install them from automatically?
    > I mean packages made for ubuntu in some kind of ftp site..
    > since I am novice and cannot nor do I want to compile.

    Ubuntu uses the Debian package system. Webmin is in Ubuntus universe
    repository (http://packages.ubuntu.com/breezy/admin/webmin), so it can
    easily be installed. I have never used it under Ubuntu (only Red Hat,
    several years ago), so I don't know if you have to do any configuring
    after installing.

    Morten Skarstad, Feb 17, 2006
  10. John Jay Smith

    El Gee Guest

    John Jay Smith wrote:
    > Does kubuntu have samba server and webmin?
    >
    > Or is there somewhere I can install them from automatically?
    > I mean packages made for ubuntu in some kind of ftp site..
    > since I am novice and cannot nor do I want to compile.

    The best support I have found has been on the Ubuntu forums.

    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

    El Gee // www.mistergeek.com <><
    Know Christ, Know Peace - No Christ, No Peace
    Remove .yourhat to reply

    El Gee, Feb 17, 2006
  11. thanks...

    John Jay Smith, Feb 17, 2006