Kubuntu or Knoppix

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Q, Aug 7, 2006.

  1. Max Q

    Max Q Guest

    I've decided to give Linux another go. Even though I'm stuck with XP as
    my main work OS, since there's nothing like Dragon NaturallySpeaking
    for Linux yet, I miss the fun I had with Mandrake 7-9, and am also keen
    on having access to some of the sorts of app.s that are available libre
    in Linux, like Gnucash.

    This is NOT an invitation for another 6GB thread/flamewar. I'm not a
    crusader, and Linux IS just another OS, not the Holy Grail or panacea
    for all the world's ills. Nor is XP the spawn of Satan, and while
    Steve Ballmer does seem to have the manners of a chimp in addition to
    the mannerisms of one, I don't see MS as the root of all evil.

    I'm simply interested in comaprisons of these two distros from those
    who've used either/both. I'm very much a KDE fan, and can't get
    enthused about Gnome, hence my choice of finalists. If anyone is in a
    position to make thoughtful, objective, no-evangelising contributions,
    please do!
    --
    Non sum uni angulo natus; patria nea totus hic est mundus. - Seneca
    http://maxqnzs.com/References.html
    Max Q, Aug 7, 2006

  2. Max Q

    Earl Grey Guest

    Max Q wrote:
    > I've decided to give Linux another go. Even though I'm stuck with XP as
    > my main work OS, since there's nothing like Dragon NaturallySpeaking
    > for Linux yet, I miss the fun I had with Mandrake 7-9, and am also keen
    > on having access to some of the sorts of app.s that are available libre
    > in Linux, like Gnucash.
    >
    > This is NOT an invitation for another 6GB thread/flamewar. I'm not a
    > crusader, and Linux IS just another OS, not the Holy Grail or panacea
    > for all the world's ills. Nor is XP the spawn of Satan, and while
    > Steve Ballmer does seem to have the manners of a chimp in addition to
    > the mannerisms of one, I don't see MS as the root of all evil.
    >
    > I'm simply interested in comaprisons of these two distros from those
    > who've used either/both. I'm very much a KDE fan, and can't get
    > enthused about Gnome, hence my choice of finalists. If anyone is in a
    > position to make thoughtful, objective, no-evangelising contributions,
    > please do!

    Kubuntu
    Because of the APT installation and update process.
    Knoppix can do that as well, but the repositaries are all over the place.

    Install Kubuntu then download and run Automatix
    http://www.getautomatix.com/
    or Easyubuntu
    http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/
    to add all the proprietary codecs, dvd support, windows codecs etc that
    can't be distributed with the distro as free software.
    Earl Grey, Aug 7, 2006

  3. Max Q

    Max Q Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:

    > Kubuntu
    > Because of the APT installation and update process.
    > Knoppix can do that as well, but the repositaries are all over the
    > place.
    >
    > Install Kubuntu then download and run Automatix
    > http://www.getautomatix.com/
    > or Easyubuntu
    > http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/
    > to add all the proprietary codecs, dvd support, windows codecs etc
    > that can't be distributed with the distro as free software.

    Thanks! I have to admit that the "purity" of (K)Ubuntu's commitment to
    FLOSS was a bit off-putting, since I'm not Stallman, and do have a few
    MP3s I like to listen to. When I tried the Ubuntu Live CD, and found it
    wouldn't play MP3s, I was somewhat miffed. Nice to know there's a
    workaround. Current score: Kubuntu 1, Knoppix 0. 8^)

    Max Q, Aug 7, 2006
  4. Max Q

    Peter Guest

    Max Q wrote:
    > I'm simply interested in comaprisons of these two distros from those
    > who've used either/both. I'm very much a KDE fan, and can't get
    > enthused about Gnome, hence my choice of finalists. If anyone is in a
    > position to make thoughtful, objective, no-evangelising contributions,
    > please do!

    Knoppix is good as a live CD, but doesn't match the others as an installed
    distro IMO.
    Currently, I'm dual booting Mandriva and Kubuntu, and prefer Mandriva. YMMV

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Aug 7, 2006
  5. Max Q

    Shane Guest

    On 2006-08-07, Max Q <> wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >
    >> Kubuntu
    >> Because of the APT installation and update process.
    >> Knoppix can do that as well, but the repositaries are all over the
    >> place.
    >>
    >> Install Kubuntu then download and run Automatix
    >> http://www.getautomatix.com/
    >> or Easyubuntu
    >> http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/
    >> to add all the proprietary codecs, dvd support, windows codecs etc
    >> that can't be distributed with the distro as free software.

    > Thanks! I have to admit that the "purity" of (K)Ubuntu's commitment to
    > FLOSS was a bit off-putting, since I'm not Stallman, and do have a few
    > MP3s I like to listen to. When I tried the Ubuntu Live CD, and found it
    > wouldn't play MP3s, I was somewhat miffed. Nice to know there's a
    > workaround. Current score: Kubuntu 1, Knoppix 0. 8^)

    Just add multiverse to your sources.list and you will be able to install the
    required mp3 support for [K]ubuntu, basically its ubuntus way of saying, you
    accept any liability for using what is a proprietory algorithm
    They explain it better themselves at
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats
    Shane, Aug 7, 2006
  6. Max Q

    Max Q Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > Knoppix is good as a live CD, but doesn't match the others as an
    > installed distro IMO.
    > Currently, I'm dual booting Mandriva and Kubuntu, and prefer
    > Mandriva. YMMV
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Peter

    Thanks to all. Responses on the Knoppix web forum actually said the
    same thing, that Knoppix is not really cut out for installation.
    Refreshing objectivity, maybe some little bit of the jihadism has waned
    in the Linux cosmos since I was last regularly there. Does Mandriva
    have a DVD ISO for d/l?

    Max Q, Aug 7, 2006
  7. Max Q

    Chris Hope Guest

    Max Q wrote:

    > Peter wrote:
    >>
    >> Knoppix is good as a live CD, but doesn't match the others as an
    >> installed distro IMO.
    >> Currently, I'm dual booting Mandriva and Kubuntu, and prefer
    >> Mandriva. YMMV

    > Thanks to all. Responses on the Knoppix web forum actually said the
    > same thing, that Knoppix is not really cut out for installation.
    > Refreshing objectivity, maybe some little bit of the jihadism has
    > waned in the Linux cosmos since I was last regularly there. Does
    > Mandriva have a DVD ISO for d/l?

    Yes. Their latest (MandrivaOne) works as a live CD which can be
    installed so as with Knoppix and Kubuntu you can test it before
    deciding to install it.

    http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/mandrivaone

    From what I have heard myself, Knoppix is great as a live CD and not so
    good as an installable distro, which is what others have said here as
    well. I'm currently using Kubuntu on two of my non-server machines
    (desktop at work, laptop) and Gentoo on one of them (desktop at home).

    I'm finding Kubuntu to be excellent although I am having some stability
    issues with the graphics driver on my desktop at work - it has onboard
    nvidia and I'm using the nvidia driver but occasionally the graphics
    seize up completely and I often get screen flickering. I tried the vesa
    and nv drivers but they didn't give me the screen resolution they
    should have. Haven't had any issues on my laptop which also has nvidia
    graphics but at a lower screen res and using the nv driver.

    Chris Hope, Aug 8, 2006
  8. Max Q

    MarkH Guest

    "Max Q" <> wrote in news:xn0epq6hf24b4d001
    @news.clear.net.nz:

    > Peter wrote:
    >

    >> Knoppix is good as a live CD, but doesn't match the others as an
    >> installed distro IMO.
    >> Currently, I'm dual booting Mandriva and Kubuntu, and prefer
    >> Mandriva. YMMV
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> Peter

    > Thanks to all. Responses on the Knoppix web forum actually said the
    > same thing, that Knoppix is not really cut out for installation.

    Does anyone know why Knoppix is lacking as an installed distro?

    I have it installed on a couple of PCs and as far as I can tell it is just
    an easier to install Debian. You have two or three package managers
    available (or you could use apt-get) and can install anything from the
    Debian (and Ubuntu) repositories.

    I have tried Kubuntu and currently have Knoppix 3.9 on my TV PC (using VLC
    to play vids). I also have Knoppix 5 on my test PC and it seems really
    nice, very quick and responsive. Kubuntu and Knoppix are both Debian, but
    I like Knoppix much more than Kubuntu.

    In my opinion: Knoppix is pretty good as a live distro and I have both the
    CD and DVD version of Knoppix 5 on hand when working. But I find it much
    better installed to HDD because I can change preferences and use the
    package manager to install more apps (usually the first is VLC). There are
    also options for the advanced Linux geek to create a live disk with his own
    preferences and programs, but I really can't be bothered learning how to do
    that.

    How many of you out there have installed Knoppix 4 or 5, set it up to your
    preferences and installed some apps, then decided that you really don't
    like it much and prefer another distro? Why didn't you like it? Which
    distro do you prefer and why?

    Currently my favourites are SUSE 10 and Knoppix 5(installed)

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Aug 8, 2006
  9. Max Q

    Peter Guest

    Max Q wrote:
    > Thanks to all. Responses on the Knoppix web forum actually said the
    > same thing, that Knoppix is not really cut out for installation.
    > Refreshing objectivity, maybe some little bit of the jihadism has waned
    > in the Linux cosmos since I was last regularly there. Does Mandriva
    > have a DVD ISO for d/l?

    Check out the current edition of the Linux Format magazine, LXF83 Sept 2006,
    black cover with the Ubuntu logo on the front. The DVD has live versions
    of Mandriva and Ubuntu / Kubuntu, with a boot loader so you can choose a
    distro when booting off the DVD. If you like, you can install from one of
    these live distros.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Aug 8, 2006
  10. Max Q

    Philip Guest

    Max Q wrote:
    > I've decided to give Linux another go. Even though I'm stuck with XP as
    > my main work OS, since there's nothing like Dragon NaturallySpeaking
    > for Linux yet, I miss the fun I had with Mandrake 7-9, and am also keen
    > on having access to some of the sorts of app.s that are available libre
    > in Linux, like Gnucash.
    >
    > This is NOT an invitation for another 6GB thread/flamewar. I'm not a
    > crusader, and Linux IS just another OS, not the Holy Grail or panacea
    > for all the world's ills. Nor is XP the spawn of Satan, and while
    > Steve Ballmer does seem to have the manners of a chimp in addition to
    > the mannerisms of one, I don't see MS as the root of all evil.
    >
    > I'm simply interested in comaprisons of these two distros from those
    > who've used either/both. I'm very much a KDE fan, and can't get
    > enthused about Gnome, hence my choice of finalists. If anyone is in a
    > position to make thoughtful, objective, no-evangelising contributions,
    > please do!

    I recently took the opportunity of changing a hard disk to set up dual
    booting of XP and Ubuntu Dapper.

    Ubuntu works for me: it's intuitive, it looks nice, some of the apps
    even have the same names, like Firefox and Thunderbird.I've read that it
    won't work on RAID arrays, which could be a problem for some folks. But
    so far I've been able to do all the stuff I like to do in it, and it
    reads all my data files without choking. Abiword even reads the old
    Psion files, which is nice.

    Except: I'm looking for a CD ripper that downloads metadata from
    Gracenote (the old CDDB). Any thoughts?

    And I haven't yet tried serious video editing, on account of being busy
    doing other revenue producing stuff, so I'll need to research that.

    The one piece of kit that doesn't seem to like Ubuntu is the Belkin
    2-port USB print server. This may be because it is a pile of mongoose
    droppings, and I've never made the Brother HL 1240 work with it in XP
    either. Or it may be because I missed something.

    For what it's worth, I note that I haven't booted to XP for the last
    week, and I haven't felt deprived of anything. But it's nice to know
    it's still there if I need it.

    Philip
    Philip, Aug 10, 2006
  11. Max Q

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-08-10, Philip <> wrote:
    > Max Q wrote:
    >> I've decided to give Linux another go. Even though I'm stuck with XP as
    >> my main work OS, since there's nothing like Dragon NaturallySpeaking
    >> for Linux yet, I miss the fun I had with Mandrake 7-9, and am also keen
    >> on having access to some of the sorts of app.s that are available libre
    >> in Linux, like Gnucash.
    >>
    >> This is NOT an invitation for another 6GB thread/flamewar. I'm not a
    >> crusader, and Linux IS just another OS, not the Holy Grail or panacea
    >> for all the world's ills. Nor is XP the spawn of Satan, and while
    >> Steve Ballmer does seem to have the manners of a chimp in addition to
    >> the mannerisms of one, I don't see MS as the root of all evil.
    >>
    >> I'm simply interested in comaprisons of these two distros from those
    >> who've used either/both. I'm very much a KDE fan, and can't get
    >> enthused about Gnome, hence my choice of finalists. If anyone is in a
    >> position to make thoughtful, objective, no-evangelising contributions,
    >> please do!

    > I recently took the opportunity of changing a hard disk to set up dual
    > booting of XP and Ubuntu Dapper.
    >
    > Ubuntu works for me: it's intuitive, it looks nice, some of the apps
    > even have the same names, like Firefox and Thunderbird.I've read that it
    > won't work on RAID arrays, which could be a problem for some folks. But
    > so far I've been able to do all the stuff I like to do in it, and it
    > reads all my data files without choking. Abiword even reads the old
    > Psion files, which is nice.
    >
    > Except: I'm looking for a CD ripper that downloads metadata from
    > Gracenote (the old CDDB). Any thoughts?

    abcde, but there's probably something with a GUI if you're so inclined.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Aug 11, 2006
  12. Max Q

    Mike Dee Guest

    On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:03:05 +1200, Philip wrote:

    > Ubuntu works for me:

    [...]

    > Except: I'm looking for a CD ripper that downloads metadata from Gracenote
    > (the old CDDB). Any thoughts?

    One of these might work for you.

    "Grip" supports CDDB, Go main menu, choose "Add/Remove..." then look under
    "Sound & Video" section for "Grip", if it has a tick next to it's name
    it's installed, if not, tick it and install.

    Also "Ripper X" found in same location as Grip, also supports CDDB

    And "X-CD-Roast" as above, also supports CDDB

    [...]

    > For what it's worth, I note that I haven't booted to XP for the last week,
    > and I haven't felt deprived of anything. But it's nice to know it's still
    > there if I need it.

    Same here, also a new convert to Ubuntu and loving it.

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Aug 11, 2006
  13. Max Q

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > Max Q wrote:
    >> I've decided to give Linux another go. Even though I'm stuck with XP as
    >> my main work OS, since there's nothing like Dragon NaturallySpeaking
    >> for Linux yet, I miss the fun I had with Mandrake 7-9, and am also keen
    >> on having access to some of the sorts of app.s that are available libre
    >> in Linux, like Gnucash.
    >>
    >> This is NOT an invitation for another 6GB thread/flamewar. I'm not a
    >> crusader, and Linux IS just another OS, not the Holy Grail or panacea
    >> for all the world's ills. Nor is XP the spawn of Satan, and while
    >> Steve Ballmer does seem to have the manners of a chimp in addition to
    >> the mannerisms of one, I don't see MS as the root of all evil.
    >>
    >> I'm simply interested in comaprisons of these two distros from those
    >> who've used either/both. I'm very much a KDE fan, and can't get
    >> enthused about Gnome, hence my choice of finalists. If anyone is in a
    >> position to make thoughtful, objective, no-evangelising contributions,
    >> please do!

    > I recently took the opportunity of changing a hard disk to set up dual
    > booting of XP and Ubuntu Dapper.
    >
    > Ubuntu works for me: it's intuitive, it looks nice, some of the apps
    > even have the same names, like Firefox and Thunderbird.I've read that it
    > won't work on RAID arrays, which could be a problem for some folks. But
    > so far I've been able to do all the stuff I like to do in it, and it
    > reads all my data files without choking. Abiword even reads the old
    > Psion files, which is nice.
    >
    > Except: I'm looking for a CD ripper that downloads metadata from
    > Gracenote (the old CDDB). Any thoughts?
    >
    > And I haven't yet tried serious video editing, on account of being busy
    > doing other revenue producing stuff, so I'll need to research that.
    >
    > The one piece of kit that doesn't seem to like Ubuntu is the Belkin
    > 2-port USB print server. This may be because it is a pile of mongoose
    > droppings, and I've never made the Brother HL 1240 work with it in XP
    > either. Or it may be because I missed something.
    >
    > For what it's worth, I note that I haven't booted to XP for the last
    > week, and I haven't felt deprived of anything. But it's nice to know
    > it's still there if I need it.
    >
    > Philip

    This is a bit late in the reply.

    If you are using KDE

    and you have the codecs installed like LAME ect ect

    open up the home window insert the cd click on the devices tab look fore
    the cdrom (/dev/cdrom may have to be in the fstab) from there you can
    brows the cd as part of file system it has paly lists mp3's ect just
    drag and drop from there.

    note actual mileage may vary may not work on all systems depends on
    having other software installed that I may not be aware of. If the
    solersystem collapses from this shonky quick answer I wont be around to
    answer any more questions as I will be properly in the same poo as you
    are.

    Robert Cooze, Aug 11, 2006
  14. In message <>, Max Q wrote:

    > I have to admit that the "purity" of (K)Ubuntu's commitment to
    > FLOSS was a bit off-putting, since I'm not Stallman, and do have a few
    > MP3s I like to listen to.

    It's not a question of "purity", it's a question of legality. MP3 is
    patented, MPEG-2/4 are surrounded by hornets' nests of patents, there are
    no legally-licensed DVD players for Linux ... basically, any company that
    tries to include these things in the box with a distro without agreeing to
    some kind of per-copy royalty deal will get such a broadside of
    cease-and-desist orders from so many different groups of lawyers, it'll
    make their heads spin.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 19, 2006