  1. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Does anyone know why when I try to download this:

    kubuntu-7.04-dvd-i386.iso 18-Apr-2007 16:49 4.3G

    From here:

    http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu-cdimage/kubuntu/releases/feisty/release/

    The file size is reported as being 309mb by whatever I'm downloading it with
    (Firefox, GetRight etc.) but it says on the site that it's 4.3G (see above)

    What gives?

    I haven't tried downloading the 309mb file (cancelled it every time when I
    saw the filesize) because it seems like a waste of time if the file is
    supposed to be 4.3G

    Nik Coughlin, Jun 22, 2007

  2. Nik Coughlin

    Shane Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Does anyone know why when I try to download this:
    >
    > kubuntu-7.04-dvd-i386.iso 18-Apr-2007 16:49 4.3G
    >
    > From here:
    >
    > http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu-cdimage/kubuntu/releases/feisty/release/
    >
    > The file size is reported as being 309mb by whatever I'm downloading it
    > with (Firefox, GetRight etc.) but it says on the site that it's 4.3G (see
    > above)
    >
    > What gives?
    >
    > I haven't tried downloading the 309mb file (cancelled it every time when I
    > saw the filesize) because it seems like a waste of time if the file is
    > supposed to be 4.3G

    Have you looked at other mirrors?
    Might just be a problem with the mirror you are trying
    --
    A physicist, a mathematician and a computer scientist discuss what is
    better: a wife or a girlfriend.

    Shane, Jun 22, 2007

  3. Nik Coughlin

    Allistar Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Does anyone know why when I try to download this:
    >
    > kubuntu-7.04-dvd-i386.iso 18-Apr-2007 16:49 4.3G
    >
    > From here:
    >
    > http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu-cdimage/kubuntu/releases/feisty/release/
    >
    > The file size is reported as being 309mb by whatever I'm downloading it
    > with (Firefox, GetRight etc.) but it says on the site that it's 4.3G (see
    > above)
    >
    > What gives?
    >
    > I haven't tried downloading the 309mb file (cancelled it every time when I
    > saw the filesize) because it seems like a waste of time if the file is
    > supposed to be 4.3G

    I'd say the file is corrupt - wget report it as being 309Mb too. Try a
    mirror.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jun 22, 2007
  4. Nik Coughlin

    El Chippy Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 14:50:39 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Does anyone know why when I try to download this:
    >
    > kubuntu-7.04-dvd-i386.iso 18-Apr-2007 16:49 4.3G
    >
    > From here:
    >
    > http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu-cdimage/kubuntu/releases/feisty/release/
    >
    > The file size is reported as being 309mb by whatever I'm downloading it
    > with (Firefox, GetRight etc.) but it says on the site that it's 4.3G
    > (see above)
    >
    > What gives?
    >
    > I haven't tried downloading the 309mb file (cancelled it every time when
    > I saw the filesize) because it seems like a waste of time if the file is
    > supposed to be 4.3G

    Mirror is probably corrupt.
    http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/feisty/
    release/ has what appears to be correct size file.

    El Chippy, Jun 22, 2007
  5. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    El Chippy wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 14:50:39 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know why when I try to download this:
    >>
    >> kubuntu-7.04-dvd-i386.iso 18-Apr-2007 16:49 4.3G
    >>
    >> From here:
    >>
    >> http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu-cdimage/kubuntu/releases/feisty/release/
    >>
    >> The file size is reported as being 309mb by whatever I'm downloading
    >> it with (Firefox, GetRight etc.) but it says on the site that it's
    >> 4.3G (see above)
    >>
    >> What gives?
    >>
    >> I haven't tried downloading the 309mb file (cancelled it every time
    >> when I saw the filesize) because it seems like a waste of time if
    >> the file is supposed to be 4.3G

    > Mirror is probably corrupt.
    > http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/feisty/
    > release/ has what appears to be correct size file.

    Also 307.9mb unfortunately

    Nik Coughlin, Jun 22, 2007
  6. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know why when I try to download this:
    >>
    >> kubuntu-7.04-dvd-i386.iso 18-Apr-2007 16:49 4.3G
    >>
    >> From here:
    >>
    >> http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu-cdimage/kubuntu/releases/feisty/release/
    >>
    >> The file size is reported as being 309mb by whatever I'm downloading
    >> it with (Firefox, GetRight etc.) but it says on the site that it's
    >> 4.3G (see above)
    >>
    >> What gives?
    >>
    >> I haven't tried downloading the 309mb file (cancelled it every time
    >> when I saw the filesize) because it seems like a waste of time if
    >> the file is supposed to be 4.3G

    > Have you looked at other mirrors?
    > Might just be a problem with the mirror you are trying

    They all seem to be 307.9mb

    Nik Coughlin, Jun 22, 2007
  7. Nik Coughlin

    Chris Hope Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > El Chippy wrote:
    >> On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 14:50:39 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know why when I try to download this:
    >>>
    >>> kubuntu-7.04-dvd-i386.iso 18-Apr-2007 16:49 4.3G
    >>>
    >>> From here:

    http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu-cdimage/kubuntu/releases/feisty/release/

    >>> The file size is reported as being 309mb by whatever I'm downloading
    >>> it with (Firefox, GetRight etc.) but it says on the site that it's
    >>> 4.3G (see above)
    >>>
    >>> What gives?
    >>>
    >>> I haven't tried downloading the 309mb file (cancelled it every time
    >>> when I saw the filesize) because it seems like a waste of time if
    >>> the file is supposed to be 4.3G

    >> Mirror is probably corrupt.

    http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/feisty/
    >> release/ has what appears to be correct size file.

    > Also 307.9mb unfortunately

    Try going to the ftp address instead of the http address. I'm guesssing
    the web server can't serve files > 4GB. Often it won't work via the
    http server but will via ftp with larger files.

    ie use
    ftp://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/feisty/
    instead of
    http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/feisty/

    If your ISP lets you have access to Citylink (I know there can be issues
    with this) then you may as well use the NZ mirror at
    ftp://ftp.citylink.co.nz/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu

    Chris Hope, Jun 22, 2007
  8. Nik Coughlin

    Chris Hope Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:

    > Nik Coughlin wrote:

    http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu-cdimage/kubuntu/releases/feisty/release/

    >>> Mirror is probably corrupt.

    http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/feisty/
    >>> release/ has what appears to be correct size file.

    >> Also 307.9mb unfortunately

    > Try going to the ftp address instead of the http address. I'm
    > guesssing the web server can't serve files > 4GB. Often it won't work
    > via the http server but will via ftp with larger files.
    >
    > ie use

    ftp://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/feisty/
    > instead of

    http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/feisty/

    > If your ISP lets you have access to Citylink (I know there can be
    > issues with this) then you may as well use the NZ mirror at
    > ftp://ftp.citylink.co.nz/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu

    Disregard the last bit - they don't have the DVD images at Citylink,
    just the CD ones.

    Chris Hope, Jun 22, 2007
  9. Nik Coughlin

    Allistar Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know why when I try to download this:
    >>>
    >>> kubuntu-7.04-dvd-i386.iso 18-Apr-2007 16:49 4.3G
    >>>
    >>> From here:
    >>>
    >>> http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu-cdimage/kubuntu/releases/feisty/release/
    >>>
    >>> The file size is reported as being 309mb by whatever I'm downloading
    >>> it with (Firefox, GetRight etc.) but it says on the site that it's
    >>> 4.3G (see above)
    >>>
    >>> What gives?
    >>>
    >>> I haven't tried downloading the 309mb file (cancelled it every time
    >>> when I saw the filesize) because it seems like a waste of time if
    >>> the file is supposed to be 4.3G

    >> Have you looked at other mirrors?
    >> Might just be a problem with the mirror you are trying

    > They all seem to be 307.9mb

    Download it and see if it's a valid ISO.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jun 22, 2007
  10. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:

    > http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu-cdimage/kubuntu/releases/feisty/release/

    > Try going to the ftp address instead of the http address. I'm
    > guesssing the web server can't serve files > 4GB. Often it won't work
    > via the http server but will via ftp with larger files.

    That was exactly it. Thanks

    Nik Coughlin, Jun 22, 2007
  11. Nik Coughlin

    El Chippy Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:57:13 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Also 307.9mb unfortunately

    I'm starting to suspect proxy/browser issues. File is coming up as 4.3G
    in both firefox and wget for me.

    D:\software\Utilities\wget-1.10.2b>wget http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/
    cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/feisty/release/kubuntu-7.04-dvd-
    i386.iso
    [snip]
    Resolving saimei.acc.umu.se... 130.239.18.138
    Connecting to saimei.acc.umu.se|130.239.18.138|:80... connected.
    Length: 4,617,809,920 (4.3G) [application/octet-stream]

    El Chippy, Jun 22, 2007
  12. In message <f5fdec$orl$>, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Does anyone know why when I try to download this:
    >
    > kubuntu-7.04-dvd-i386.iso 18-Apr-2007 16:49 4.3G
    >
    > From here:
    >
    > http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu-cdimage/kubuntu/releases/feisty/release/
    >
    > The file size is reported as being 309mb by whatever I'm downloading it
    > with (Firefox, GetRight etc.) but it says on the site that it's 4.3G (see
    > above)

    I'm assuming this is something to do with wraparound when trying to express
    the file size in 32 bits:

    >>> print (2 ** 32 + 309 * 2 ** 20) / 2 ** 20

    4405

    but as you can see, if I'm right the file size should be reported as 4.4GiB,
    not 4.3GiB.

    For such a large file, might be best to try getting it via BitTorrent or
    jigdo.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 22, 2007
  13. Nik Coughlin

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:12:11 +1200, Shane wrote:

    [snip]

    > Have you looked at other mirrors?
    > Might just be a problem with the mirror you are trying

    Try something local

    ftp://ftp.city.link.co.nz

    Yes, there are some interesting links, just download and it will work.

    Gordon, Jun 22, 2007
  14. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <f5fdec$orl$>, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>
    >> The file size is reported as being 309mb by whatever I'm downloading
    >> it with (Firefox, GetRight etc.) but it says on the site that it's
    >> 4.3G (see above)

    > I'm assuming this is something to do with wraparound when trying to
    > express the file size in 32 bits:

    > 4405
    >
    > but as you can see, if I'm right the file size should be reported as
    > 4.4GiB, not 4.3GiB.
    >
    > For such a large file, might be best to try getting it via BitTorrent
    > or jigdo.

    I tried the torrent, but it's painfully slow. Downloading via ftp rather
    than http seems to solve the incorrect reporting of file size problem
    though, and I get 400kb/s (was getting about 20kb/s on the torrent).

    Nik Coughlin, Jun 22, 2007
  15. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > 4405

    Is that a shell command?

    What is the significance of the ** as opposed to the normal * multiplication
    operator? Is it to do with operator precedence?

    Nik Coughlin, Jun 22, 2007
  16. Nik Coughlin

    El Chippy Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:56:50 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    >> 4405

    > Is that a shell command?
    >
    > What is the significance of the ** as opposed to the normal *
    > multiplication operator? Is it to do with operator precedence?

    2**32 = 2^32, 2 to the 32nd power.

    El Chippy, Jun 22, 2007